“Great tour!”

Rome Illuminated Guided Tours
Ranked #156 of 778 Tours in Rome
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Top-rated, engaging tours of the Vatican and beyond. We are a small team of passionate, expert guides and we all have one common goal: to help you make the most of your visit! Wherever you'd like us to take you, you'll avoid the lines and the crowds, you'll be engaged and inspired, you'll relax, laugh and learn. We know you're here on vacation and our tours are designed with that in mind. Whether you join us for a planned tour or a custom-tailored outing, we will turn your visit into an extraordinary experience!
Alexandria, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great tour!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The best way to see Rome! Kristian and I walked the ancient sights and had a marvelous lunch at a tiny little place in the Jewish Ghetto. I highly recommend the company. They are knowledgeable, professional, fun, and determined to help you have a wonderful experience on the tour and even after when you are on your own.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Karolyn S

Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The night before our tour, my wife and I had seriously considered going home. The accumulated challenges had gotten the better of us and it was time to leave.
Luckily we did not !! Thanks to Justin, Evan and Rome Illuminated, not only our time in Rome but our entire vacation was rescued. Our 4 hour tour of the Colosseum, Palentine Hills, Forum, Pantheon and much more was informative, relaxing and wonderfully enjoyable.
My advice....."Don't leave Rome without one!!!!"

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Joe F
Christchurch, New Zealand
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked an evening Rome Illuminated tour and a Vatican tour based on reviews on Trip Advisor. The initial correspondence we received was excellent and promised good tours. We were told to expect email confirmation and our tour guide names a few days prior but upon receiving nothing I contacted Lauren. She emailed back confirming our tours and guide names. We arrived for the Rome Illuminated evening tour and it was a different guide to the one mentioned and she (Julia) had no idea what she was meant to be showing us. We ended up finishing in a completely different location To The one indicated in our emails. Julia showed us some interesting sights and was very theatrical and entertaining in her guiding.
The next day we met up with Marlena and once again she did not have a prepared itinerary and seemed surprised that some highlights had not been shown to us the night before. Marlena was very good had had a wealth of history to share.
My advice is to communicate very clearly prior to a tour to ensure Rome Illuminations have an understanding of what your requirements are. We are disappointed that we invested a lot of money in guides for Rome and did not get our monies worth as we will probably not get to Rome again.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Hawktoast
RomeExpert, Manager at Rome Illuminated Guided Tours, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
I'm happy that you found our guides entertaining and knowledgeable, but we are sorry you feel that you missed out while in Rome! We believe that any of our tours should provide a tantalizing taste of one of the world's most fascinating cities.

I'm very sorry our service left you disappointed and I apologize that we did not contact you right away when Justin was not able to lead your tour because of an unforeseen medical problem.

Our goal is for travelers to get everything they hope for and more out of the trip. We check in with our guests at the beginning of each tour to see if there are any last-minute requests or special needs to take into consideration, and then our guides use the promised sites as 'anchors' while leading the tours. Our tours are meant to be flexible so we do not use standardized itineraries.

I will review our correspondence in detail to find whether any tour details were forgotten and I will send you an email to follow up directly.

Sincerest apologies,
Evan
Waco, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Tour Ever!!!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My daughter contacted Evan, founder of Rome Illuminated, to arrange for two days of touring for our family this spring. There were five adults and one eight-year-old in our party. We wanted to focus on specific areas of interest, so it was great to learn that Evan was willing to custom design our two days with us in mind. To say that we were pleased with our tour guides would be like saying that Rome is somewhat impressive. Vincenzo took us to the Catacombs and the Vatican for an incredibly fascinating first day, combining a detailed overview of ancient Christianity with art history, papal history, archaeology and everything in between. Somehow, he managed to keep us all enthralled all day long. The next day, Evan took us on a captivating tour of ancient Rome--from the Colosseum to the Roman Forum. Both guides were a veritable walking, talking storehouse of history and insights on ancient Rome. They were cheerful, kind and considerate all day long. We wanted to adopt them by the time our tours were over. I can't begin to say enough about what a waste of time it would have been to wander around such a vast city, trying to inform ourselves about what we were seeing from a guide book or a map. Splurge on Rome Illuminated!!! You'll never forget the difference.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Linda F
Vicenza, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best Tour Experience Ever!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have never left feedback on Trip Advisor before, but after my experience with Rome Illuminated, I was determined to let people know what amazing services this company provides. I should start by saying that the two guides we had were a couple of the most intelligent people I've ever met. They can speak on just about any subject pertaining to ancient world history, art, current events, religion, pop culture, politics, etc., not to mention the fact that they're multi-lingual. All of this combined made for fascinating talks on all aspects of the sites/sights we took in.

The main reason we booked with this company was because they offer reasonably priced tours in English for private groups. In their correspondence with me, they probably replied to over a dozen emails of mine that contained all kinds of questions about the sites, prices, recommendations, etc. I even had phone conversations with them to customize the tours (Vatican and Imperial Rome), and they took their time, making sure our tours included everything we wanted to see. By the time we actually arrived in Rome, I was confident that RI would make sure we saw the best of the best. I was not disappointed in the least.

Now I just want to mention the ways that RI went above and beyond. Knowing that our group included my 62-year-old mother-in-law and my 8-year-old son, the guides were very patient and did not rush us from place to place. They stopped to allow for rest from time to time. They also engaged my son in the tour with questions and specific points of interest that made my son feel included and drew him in to the experience. They advised us on modes of travel more than once. Evan personally went and picked up opera tickets for my husband and me, and acquired excellent seats for us. He also made recommendations concerning a fabulous restaurant at the end of the tour. He then went inside and spoke to the proprietor about getting us a table. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

If you spend your money on nothing else while in Rome, spend it on a RI tour or two or three. When we go back to Rome (it's a must), we'll be repeat customers of Rome Illuminated, for sure. BEST TOUR EXPERIENCE EVER!

Visited April 2013