“A rustic find”

Dar Buttero Hostaria
Ranked #3,464 of 12,134 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Sydney
“A rustic find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

It must be said from the outset that this little restaurant is not particularly prepossessing from the outside. No outdoor tables, a menu that reads almost identically to many others, very simple decor. However it smelled delicious as we walked past and on investigation we could see large tables of Italians having lunch, so worth a shot. We were greeted warmly by the owner (don't expect gush, he's a restrained kind of guy) and shown to our 'garden' table - a little courtyard out the back with a few paper-covered tables and a plastic corrugated roof.
The menu as mentioned reads like many others - antipasti, pasta, ossobuco, veal, filetto, nothing really to distinguish it. We ordered insalata mista and two pastas, fettuccine ai carciofi and spaghetti alle vongole. Both punched above their weight for a little inexpensive neighbourhood restaurant. The fettuccine was house-made, perhaps a little thick for some tastes but rustic and perfectly cooked, coated in a tomatey braised artichoke sauce. Spaghetti alle vongole is ubiquitous throughout Rome, but these vongole were plump and sweet and spanking fresh, if not too numerous (what do you expect for 10 euro?) Half a litre of wine ( a wopping 4 euro) a couple of espressos and we were back on the street having refused a very kind offer of limoncello - is it only me who thinks that it tastes like undiluted lemon cordial?
This little local restaurant really delivers at the level to which it is pitching - if you like simple, rustic, local and inexpensive you should be pretty happy.

• Visited May 2013

• Greek first
Brussels, Belgium
“absolutely terrible - avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

The best part of the meal was the bread, crusty on the outside, fluffy and light on the inside. Service was okay.
My meal consisted of a salad (your typical mixed greens, nothing special), and a "padoa"? soup. The soup's description sounded good - toasted bread, egg, and cheese in tomato broth. I'd had similar soups before and was very happy with them. Well, this was nothing like these other soups.
The bread, instead of crunchy, was completely soggy. The very weakly tomato flavored 'broth' was cold, and the egg that was broken into was completely raw. Now I am not afraid of raw food, and I happily eat Filet Americain (look it up) regularly now that I am living in Belgium, but when someone says that this egg cooks in the soup, they mean that the soup is actually hot enough to cook the egg to make it kind-of a poached consistency. This wasn't done and I had a bunch of slimy raw eggwhite floating all over my soup, which I didn't finish.
We also had a plate of cured meats - nothing special, way too fatty for what they were supposed to be (e.g., bresaola) and a little sticky, which suggests some lack of freshness.
My husband had pasta that he finished because he was hungry, but it looked nondescript.
Would not recommend, would not return, a terrible waste of time and money in Rome.

• Visited February 2013
Esplugues de Llobregat, Spain
“Excellent food and great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We just found this restaurant after a walk on the neighbourhood. The food was excellent, traditional, prepared with care, very good taste, the portions large and the price very reasonable. The decoration was nice but the tables a bit too packed.

• Visited January 2013
Rome, Italy
“Old school”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Been here a few times, it's funky & they have a few things not easy to find elsewhere (stacciatella, like italian egg-drop soup), A bit dark & dank but fun in the winter if it's raining or something.

Visited September 2012
Rome, Italy
“Awful Service. Plain Food. Not Worth It.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I went to this place Friday night with another person.
We ordered the "Vegetable Antipasto" together.
I asked if it was grilled vegetables. They said yes.
We got cold beet root and cold (possibly pre-packaged frozen) vegetables with grill marks on them.
We ordered the pasta al tartuffo. It's tartuffo season. We asked if it was "real tartuffo" or "cream of tartuffo". We were told it was real tartuffo.
It was pasta with bland butter, a tasteless piece of imitation tartuffo which looked like a beet and had the consistency of a potato. We were offered cheese to put on our dish - sure sign of a bad dish.
The house wine tasted like vinegar.
We paid 17 euro each.
I had been here before. 4 years ago. And remember it being mediocre.
This was one of the worst meals I have had in Italy in my 12 years here.

If you are looking for a place which adheres to quality standards and guest satisfaction, clearly this is not the place.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Lueez

Been to Dar Buttero Hostaria? Share your experiences!