“Fantastic location, wonderful hosts.”

Gli Scipioni Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 3,762 Rome B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, wonderful hosts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a brilliant B and B. The location, so close to the Vatican and the Metro, plus restaurants and other shops, makes it a great base for tourists.
The level of helpfulness from the hosts was nothing short of amazing, especially as we were well out of our suggested time to check in.
The bedroom was spacious and the hospitality tray was very generous. The room was quiet at night and the air conditioning user-friendly.
The bathroom had been thoughtfully arranged and was very clean, good quality towels and robes left out for guests.
The breakfast is self-service which we love. There's an excellent and abundant range of food and drink to choose from, with plenty of fresh fruit available.
I have some of the cards from this B & B to give to friends looking for a place to stay in Rome as I'm more than happy to suggest it as a home from home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ballyshannon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Modern, spacious rooms, good value & great location! Only 2 mins from Vatican Museum and the same from nearest subway. The perfect location to base and tour Rome in a couple of days. Welcome bottle of wine in our room was the feather in the cap!

• Stayed September 2013
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights 27th -30th August. We are quite satisfied with the location(very central, only 200m from the Vatican).The accomodation was clean and comfortable. Excellent amenities. David and his staff -Henry provided excellent service. David was away, but he called upon our arrival to check if everything is ok. He helped arrange transport even after we have left the B&B. Henry took alot of trouble to explain to us how to get around Rome, gave us great tips, brought us to a very good tour agency. We appreciate Henry's friendliness and honesty.
A place we would recommend friends to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I stayed for 3 nights and very much enjoyed our stay at this superb B & B. The location was great especially for the Vatican and it took next to no time to get to the Coliseum etc. via the Metro stop 2 minutes away. The amenities were all excellent including a very comfortable bed, plush towels and stylish decor. The en-suite shower room was also very good. It was also great to have complimentary wine in the room and a fantastic coffee machine in the kitchen. David and Henry were a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed September 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at this B&B. Booking was easy with David, we were met at the time of arrival and Henry provided us with helpful information. We stayed in the orange room. It was very large, quite clean and had a number of amenities including air conditioning, a mini-fridge, safe, bathrobes, wash cloths, comfortable bed and TV. The self serve breakfast included cereal, milk, juice, fruit, assorted packaged pastries, yogurt and cheese. While there was a wide selection, we found some of the bread and cereal to be a bit old (maybe because David was out of town). We appreciated being able to grab breakfast whenever we were ready. Bottled water, wine and coffee was always available. The location is within 5 minutes of the Vatican and 2 minutes of a Metro stop connecting you to the center of Rome. Not within convenient walking distance of the city center for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GLISCIPIONIBB, Owner at Gli Scipioni Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Ciao Kris,
Thank you for your review and for informing me of what has been going on at the b&b during my absence.
My sincere apologies for the substandard level of service you received.
I can only assure you that this is not the norm, when I am there and attend the b&b each day our b&b is maintained to a very high standard as attested to by the number of excellent reviews we receive as I am an 'hands on person' that likes to do things myself as then I know it has been done properly to the standard I expect it to be......'Cleanliness is next to Godliness''!!!
Suffice to say I have just come off the telephone and chewed the person responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance especially of the kitchen area a clean clear new one......I will not tolerate a drop in standards just because I am not there in person to oversee those to make sure they do their job properly!
We are a top end b&b and our guests pay good money for top end service and standards.
I hope this did not spoil your experience of Rome too much and overall you had a nice time.
By way of clarification please note we are actually located in the city center as we are 150 metres from the Vatican. I think you meant that we are not located in the 'Historical Center' which is a 30 minute walk away or 10 minute ride on the metro.
Once again, my sincere apologies and I hope to personally welcome you back to Rome again in person in the not too distant future for you to experience the true real 'Gli Scipioni hospitality'.
Saluti
David
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I think my title says it all. If you are looking for a great place near the Vatican, this is the place for you. Although I was unable to personally meet David this time around, he is a true professional and ensures his guests have a wonderful stay. The room we stayed in had satellite television (which we never bothered to turn on), mini fridge, security box and air conditioning. I believe we stayed in the 'orange' room. I must admit, we were pleasantly surprised as the room exceeded our expectations.

Definitely a place I would recommend to friends and stay in again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampere, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in David's B&B in March 2013. Excellent location (MRT, Vatican, delicious restaurants and ice cream bars, shopping streets, football stadium etc.). Service was brilliant, David was extremely helpful in every way. Rooms were very clean and comfortable with fridge and bottle of house wine and chocolate. When we go back to Rome, our accommodation choice is already made. Thank You David, hope to see You again :) Best regards, Kati & Harri from Finland

Room Tip: We had the orange room, very nice and clean, big and comfortable double bed.