Gli Scipioni Bed & Breakfast
$356
$278
Capo d'Africa
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Nord Nuova Roma(Rome)(Great Value!)
$192
$725
$1,402
$770
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb bself serve breakfastaround the cornerclose to the vaticanottaviano metro stationthought of everythingbottled watersatellite tvyogurtsmall kitchenmini fridgethree roomsgrazie millea wonderful stayroom was spacioustrip to romewould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at this B&B. Booking was easy with David, we were met at the time of arrival and Henry provided us with helpful information. We stayed in the orange room. It was very large, quite clean and had a number of amenities including air conditioning, a mini-fridge, safe, bathrobes, wash cloths, comfortable bed and TV. The self serve breakfast included cereal, milk, juice, fruit, assorted packaged pastries, yogurt and cheese. While there was a wide selection, we found some of the bread and cereal to be a bit old (maybe because David was out of town). We appreciated being able to grab breakfast whenever we were ready. Bottled water, wine and coffee was always available. The location is within 5 minutes of the Vatican and 2 minutes of a Metro stop connecting you to the center of Rome. Not within convenient walking distance of the city center for us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GLISCIPIONIBB, Owner at Gli Scipioni Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Ciao Kris,
Thank you for your review and for informing me of what has been going on at the b&b during my absence.
My sincere apologies for the substandard level of service you received.
I can only assure you that this is not the norm, when I am there and attend the b&b each day our b&b is maintained to a very high standard as attested to by the number of excellent reviews we receive as I am an 'hands on person' that likes to do things myself as then I know it has been done properly to the standard I expect it to be......'Cleanliness is next to Godliness''!!!
Suffice to say I have just come off the telephone and chewed the person responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance especially of the kitchen area a clean clear new one......I will not tolerate a drop in standards just because I am not there in person to oversee those to make sure they do their job properly!
We are a top end b&b and our guests pay good money for top end service and standards.
I hope this did not spoil your experience of Rome too much and overall you had a nice time.
By way of clarification please note we are actually located in the city center as we are 150 metres from the Vatican. I think you meant that we are not located in the 'Historical Center' which is a 30 minute walk away or 10 minute ride on the metro.
Once again, my sincere apologies and I hope to personally welcome you back to Rome again in person in the not too distant future for you to experience the true real 'Gli Scipioni hospitality'.
Saluti
David

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I think my title says it all. If you are looking for a great place near the Vatican, this is the place for you. Although I was unable to personally meet David this time around, he is a true professional and ensures his guests have a wonderful stay. The room we stayed in had satellite television (which we never bothered to turn on), mini fridge, security box and air conditioning. I believe we stayed in the 'orange' room. I must admit, we were pleasantly surprised as the room exceeded our expectations.

Definitely a place I would recommend to friends and stay in again!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in David's B&B in March 2013. Excellent location (MRT, Vatican, delicious restaurants and ice cream bars, shopping streets, football stadium etc.). Service was brilliant, David was extremely helpful in every way. Rooms were very clean and comfortable with fridge and bottle of house wine and chocolate. When we go back to Rome, our accommodation choice is already made. Thank You David, hope to see You again :) Best regards, Kati & Harri from Finland

Room Tip: We had the orange room, very nice and clean, big and comfortable double bed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Gli Scipioni for one night at the end of our trip and the only mistake we made was not staying there longer! Here are some specifics:

LOCATION:
We prefer to stay in the Vatican area since it's more genuine and affordable; it has easier to access the airport & rental car locations, and it's a nice walk into the city center. This particular part of the Vatican area was great... very quiet, safe and within walking distance of everything.

BUILDING:
-BEWARE: Google has the wrong address for Gli Scipioni. David's directions are perfect - use them and save yourself the two-block walk.
-GS is in a nice, clean apartment building on a small one-way street.
-There is an elevator!
-We found the building quite quiet. While you could hear the front apartment door opening and closing, we never heard any of the other guests or outdoor noise during our stay.

SERVICE:
-David is British and wonderfully effusive, so communication was excellent.
-Henry checked us in - he's really warm, helpful and fortunately patient, since we were embarrassingly late.
-Once they check you in, the experience is mainly self-service - even breakfast. We prefer that, but if you want the whole B&B breakfast experience, this is not for you.

BREAKFAST:
There is no official breakfast room - breakfast is self-service. BUT the small kitchen is stocked to the gills with everything you could possible want - tea, coffee (moka pot or capsule espresso), juices, milk, water (all the bottled water you can drink), meats, cheeses, eggs, biscuits, breads, pastries, jams, honey, yogurts, cereals... even ice cream sandwiches. If you're jetlagged, have an early flight or just generally snacky, this is especially helpful.

THE ROOM:
We had the green room... all three rooms are thoughtfully laid out. They include:
-Bed - we had a matrimonial king that was between soft & firm.
-Free wifi
-Flatscreen TV with cable
-A teeny tiny fridge for drinks
-Free bottled water (as much as you want - fantastic)
-An electric kettle for tea and coffee maker
-Cookies and exotic candies
-A safe
-A futon sofa that I suspect folds out into a bed
-Air conditioning and heating (it was boiling in Rome, so this was important)
-Thoughtfully designed lighting - there was always a light where and when you needed it
-A window that looked out over the quiet street
-Probably more... there was so much, I forget!

BATHROOM:
-A truly awesome light show in the sink and shower - you just have to experience it
-More well-designed lighting
-Hairdryer
-Bidet and toilet
-Shower was typical for Italy... a bit small, but my 6'-tall husband fit in it just fine
-Good towels and face cloths, which are rare in Italy

Overall, the B&B is absolutely perfect for slightly more independent travelers who appreciate thoughtful design and outstanding value. We definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Slangevar
GLISCIPIONIBB, Owner at Gli Scipioni Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

That's because we buy all our bedding, duvets, sheets, bathrobes, etc, especially the towels from the UK, good Ol' Blighty.......'GOD SAVE THE QUEEN'!!!
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the fantastic review.
Saluti
David xx
ps When are you guys coming back?
Make sure next time it's for more than just the one night!!!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My Wife cellebrated our Wedding Anniversary in Rome and Chose to stay with Gli Scipioni (David) after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. The accomodation is very central with access to the Metro and zillion resturants. The accomodation was great with Air Con and breakfast (continental) if you wanted. We usually were still full from the previous night so stuck to fruits.

David and team are very friendly and helpful - we asked for taxi both to and from the airport, and the driver was there on time and we were made to feel safe and looked after.

David also kindly left a really nice bottle of Champaign for us. Thank you and well done.

(One thing - Rome in July is very very hot and lots of people about so please be very careful with the heat - lots of water and sleeping in heat can be a bit hard but that is the all part of it).

Room Tip: liaise with David and he will help you plan a few things - he seems to know a lot of people and if you have not been to Rome, before, its worth planning as there is a lot to see. DK book on Rome is good as is their recommendation for places to eat. After a few days of Pasta and Pizza, it gets a bit much.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple