“Amazing & Refreshing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Colonna
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Amazing & Refreshing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Every time I go to Rome - I run to La Tazza D'Oro Cafe!!! I usually have an Espresso restrito (stronger than the average espresso) and 2 (yes two) Granita con Panna. The VERY best Granita you will taste anywhere in the world!

While I have never had the Cappuccino - which I believe is what most American's prefer if they are not used to drinking 'real' Espresso, I'm sure it is excellent too.

• Visited September 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Frankly, a disappointing cup of espresso!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had read reviews of various coffee shops in Rome in order to try out those that were highly rated - I love good coffee.

Tazza D'Oro is very close to the Pantheon, very convenient indeed for tourists. It's not the only cafe in Rome where you have to go to a till away from the bar to purchase your drink and then take it to the bar to get you drink, but I don't like this method one bit. The members of staff were also far from warm in the way they treated us with the exception on one lady; the shop roasts its beans on the premises and you can watch the process - I took our younger son over and the woman working there, although speaking no English, showed him what was happening and what the beans looked like before roasting. Top marks to her - but only her!

The most disappointing bit for me, however, was the very thing I went in for. My espresso was a real let down - thin, insipid and with no crema whatsoever. All the more surprising since I bought a bag of their coffee beans which I have brought home with me and they make very good coffee indeed. Maybe they thought it wasn't worth trying to make a decent coffee for an English tourist?!?!?

“Best coffe in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

we skipped hotel breakfast to taste this coffe. one of the best coffe ive ever tasted , and probebly the best in Rome, must try the coffe granita with cream!!(only 2.5 euro)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“pretty good stuff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stopped here during a stroll. Had a quick espresso. It was excellent. Good service as well. Loved the interior.

New York City, New York
“Decent Italian coffee; Typical Italian attitude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This place has decent coffee--almost everywhere in Italy has good coffee--but the attitude of the bartenders is so deplorable that I will not be back on one of my future trips to Rome. The cappuccino was not as good as other, equivalent coffee shops in Rome (Castroni being my favorite), and the espresso was forgettable (as in: I forgot I had it until my friends reminded me, and then I remembered that it was just eh). We have been to this coffee shop several times, and every time we've had pretty much the same experience with the rude bartenders. The first time we went, the granita guy stood behind the bar talking to one of his Italian clientele for about 5 minutes while we were waiting there politely with our receipt to get a granita. After glancing up at us and making it clear he saw us there, he then proceeded to clean the floor. Yet, for some reason we continued to patronize this joint. Subsequent trips did not find much friendlier or quicker service. As a note, if you get their much-lauded coffee granita, make sure to ask that the whipped cream be placed only on the top -- unless you like a 3:1 ratio of whipped cream:granita. Both times we got the coffee granita, the granita guy gave us cups that had so much whipped cream both on the bottom and on the top that you could barely taste the coffee flavor. I would have walked away thinking that this overly whipped creamed confection was the normal presentation until I saw other patrons (Roman businessmen and a family with 2 children) with only a little whipped cream on the top and three times the amount of granita! Ours pretty much tasted like coffee flavored whipped cream--too sickly sweet and not worth the expense. Since this place is very touristy, I can't decide if it is surprising or unsurprising that they treat people differently depending on their ability to speak Italian with a native accent.

• Visited July 2013