“Great tasting, inexpensive gelato”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Gelatone

Il Gelatone
Ranked #23 of 778 Dessert in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Monti
Houston, Texas
“Great tasting, inexpensive gelato”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

After a terribly disappointing dinner at Ristorante da Giovanni, we had to make it up with a great dessert.

Il Gelatone is not far from our hotel/Piazza Repubblica, so we headed over there. Boy were we surprised with th amount of gelato a piccolo (small) gets you! For only €4, my wife and I both had a 3-scoop gelato that was great!

There are probably 20-30 flavored to choose from. Will visit again before leaving Rome.

• Visited April 2013

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
“Il Gelatone the best in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Have been coming to Rome for many years, and one of the first places I visit is Il Gelatone on Via dei Serpenti. Two other gelato shops seem to get a lot of publicity in travel magazines and newspaper stories on eating in Rome, but this is the best. The selection and quality cannot be beat. Staff is always friendly and helpful with suggestions if you don't know what flavors to mix. People who live and work in this neighborhood always stop here for their gelato. After the first visit, you definitely will be back.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank ibaugh
VA
“Two A day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am proud to say that during my visit to Rome, my husband and I ate here everyday, sometimes twice a day! The gelato is the best we had. We did a lot of walking all over the city and ate gelato one many different places. Each night we returned to Il Gelatone and loved it! It was the best we had. I really enjoyed to fruity flavors, especially the strawberry and lemon. My husband loved the Nutella. There are so many flavors to chose from and we didn't have one we didn't like.

• Visited August 2012
“Best we've had in a week in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place was a hit with our 3 kids. We've had gellato every night this week (and twice one day) and this is the best. Kids love the smooth texture and the 3 flavors on a cone.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Skippacktravel
Paris, France
“Gelato at its best.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We tried three different gelato places while in Rome and this one had to be our favorite. Fresh ingredients, friendly staff, and a large number of choices all made it our favorite. It was nice to know that they use only fresh ingredients. When I asked for tangerine and was told it was not available because tangerines are not in season. They could have easily made extra or froze tangerines while in season but they choose to only use fresh products. I like that concept. The Nutella flavor was so rich and combined with the dark chocolate was almost too much for my chocolate loving wife. The numbers of choices are endless. The staff was friendly. We tried the place in the evening and were able to get a table no problem. We had noticed earlier in the day thought the place was packed and very busy. Recommend stopping by Il Gelatone for awesome gelato.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Il Gelatone? Share your experiences!