“Awesome and Reasonably Priced Italian Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mamma Angela Trattoria

Mamma Angela Trattoria
Ranked #475 of 12,045 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Healthy, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Description: Mamma Angela serves high quality Italian and Roman cuisine with an excellent selection of Italians and regional wines and delicious daily specials. Mamma's prides itself on refreshing its menu every season, adding the seasonal and premium ingredients local to the region.
San Antonio, Texas
“Awesome and Reasonably Priced Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I went to Mama Angela's based on the great reviews we saw here on Trip Advisor. We were so impressed with the food, service, atmosphere, and prices, that we returned a second time on the final evening of our vacation to Europe.

Mama Angela's is a short walk from Rome's Termini train station, and even closer to the Rome Metro blue line. The first night, my wife had the linguine with assorted seafoods, and was absolutely floored by the amazing assortment of flavors. I had the lamb slices with a special homemade sauce, which is not what Americans view as "typical" Italian food, but this restaurant is genuine Italian, not a tourist trap. It was absolutely delicious. We also ordered a bottle of the house red wine (only 11 Euros), a local variety that certainly doesn't taste like a "cheap" wine. For desert, we shared a dessert of some type of "cooked cream" topped with a fruit sauce (I forgot the name), which was out of this world!

The second visit, my wife ordered the same seafood dish as before, but I ordered the veal shank slices in their richly flavored tomato sauce, which is now my all-time favorite Italian dish ever. They gave me a hearty portion of veal, which was very tender and flavorful. The sauce was unlike I have ever tasted before, very unusual for a tomato sauce. It was mellow and very rich, yet with a bouquet of flavors I cannot adequately describe.

The service at Mama Angela's was beyond exemplary. The waiters there all work together as a team, not your typical scenario where you are expected to hunt for "your" waiter to get anything. And as if the above wasn't enough, the manager on both visits send over two shots of an Italian liqueur (again, I forgot the name), which was the perfect finale to a wonderful dining experience. But the best part of the dinners on both nights was the bill, which was unbelievably reasonable.

I am a tough restaurant critic, and I tend to be rather picky about food quality and service, but I have nothing negative to say about Mama Angela's. If you are in Rome, do not miss this hidden jewel of a restaurant. My only complaint is that they are so far away from my home in Texas!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David_Mamma_Angela, Manager at Mamma Angela Trattoria, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We really do work hard to provide great customer service so thank you very much for the positive feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Santorini, Greece
“Very good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visit this restaurant on our first night in Rome because it was very close to our hotel and also due to the good reviews. It is small, but yet very cozy and stylish. The food, as all previous reviews mentioned, is great! We were very satisfed, so we also choose it for our New Years Eve dinner. The pasta, the perfect wine temperature, the well cooked seafood, everything were superb. It worthed every euro we spend.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank PigiP
Thank you for your review. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your experience and most importantly your food. I'm also really happy to read that you were here for New Years, thank you for your custom.
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaurant because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We had some antipasti and pasta. Simple, but flavourfull dishes, in a small yet stylish restaurant.

2 Thank Arjen J
Thank you for your comments. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience and the style of our trattoria:)
Jakarta Selatan
“Excellent trattoria with delicious foods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We decided to go there for lunch after reviewing such a great review in tripadvisor and couldn't agree more. We ordered the seafood risotto and spaghetti carbonara, and they were delicious. The taste speaks for itself.

3 Thank pasq2001
Thank you for your review! I'm really happy to read that you enjoyed your lunch and experience at Mamma Angela's. Our seafood risotto or 'Risotto alla pescatora' is very popular and is is made with shrimp, mussels, clams fresh tomato and garlic.
“Friendly staff, lovely food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice little restaurant. Staff were helpful & friendly. Desserts were delicious, especially the tiramisu! My main of roast lamb was "home cooked" style but very tasty. Have recommended to other travellers.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
David_Mamma_Angela, Manager at Mamma Angela Trattoria, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. We have a delicious selection of home made desserts including the now world famous Mamma Angela's Tiramisu...mmmm

Been to Mamma Angela Trattoria? Share your experiences!