“Stay somewhere else unless you like a stinking room!”

Episcopo Lipinsky B&B
Ranked #1,492 of 3,690 Rome B&B and Inns
Canberra
“Stay somewhere else unless you like a stinking room!”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

1. We booked 6 months in advance for September 2011 but in the room we were given, no window could be opened at night despite the heat, because of the INTENSE STINKING SEWAGE SMELL coming from outside the windows! No guest should be expected to pay 200 euros a night to sleep in a stinking room in 34C heat. We were not even provided with a glass or any drinking water !!
2. The air conditioner was just a fan - it had no coolant in it. Despite showing 16C the room did not cool down - and we had to have the fan on all night as the windows could not be opened because of the stinking sewage smell all night.
3. On the morning we were checking out, I pointed out to Miguel the problem in the room but there was no offer of recompense for being obliged to spend two nights in a stinking room. ( I had pointed this out to his mother-in-law who was looking after the B and B that weekend but of course she was not in a position to fix the problem).
4. No current maps or books on Rome were available to take away on walks - what there was, was 3-4 years old. This was just not good enough when compared with the advertised service.
5. Access? No indication had been sent on email about how to gain access. I had emailed our time of arrival well in advance. If not for the taxi driver who brought us to the door of the building and who rang the mobile of the owners (who were absent that weekend), we would have had to look for accommodation elsewhere yet we emailed the owners and told them of the date and time of our arrival - which may well have been a good thing. In 5 weeks of travel this was the most disappointing experience. I would not recommend anyone to stay there.
6. The mother (in-law) of the proprietors who was looking after the B & B that weekend was very pleasant and the terrace was lovely but that did not make up for having to spend two nights in a STINKING room for 200 euros a night. Thank heavens we had not booked for longer.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else unless you like to sleep in sewage smells
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CanberraHarold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Italy
Reviewed July 14, 2011

if you want to avoid having to wait 1/2 hours for someboby to show up to welcome you, to do very steep stairs with your luggage to get there, to have a room without a door key or a security box, to have to pay a deposit for a toilette that doesn't work just stay away from this place!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank annaluna
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed in Episcopo Lipinsky with my family in May and I was extremely happy with my choice. The building was in a fantastic location a few minutes walk from the Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain and numerous shops and restaurants yet felt like it was in a peaceful street miles away from the hustle and bustle of central Rome. The main building was old and romantic with beautiful balconies and mature plants and flowers, just what I imagined an apartment in Rome to be! We stayed in the Blue room which had lovely classic decor and views of the city from the balcony.
Yes there are steps up to the main reception but this is an old building not a purpose built modern hotel. I must mention that there is also a lift so you do not have to carry your luggage up to the room. I travelled with my 6 month baby in a pram and we did not have any problems at all! With regards to the key issue this was my fault as I went home with the keys by mistake. They are now safely back with the owners! I would thoroughly recommend staying here. The building was stunning, location couldn't be better and the hosts were very accommodating and kind.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BRYANANDJODIE
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2011

From the moment we stepped out of our cab and onto Via Margutta we were completely mesmerized with Rome. We walked down the street to the front door of our B&B and weren't sure what to expect. The website showed some pictures of the property but I wasn't exactly taken by them. However, the place came highly recommended by some trusted friends so we had high hopes for our weekend.

The charming and handsome Miguel met us at the door to take our bags up and said that our room would be ready in a few hours. We were a bit early arriving into the city and eager to explore so we had no problem dropping our bags and coming back later. After a short walk to the Piazza del Popolo and then over to Piazza di Spagna to see the Spanish Steps (all within walking distance) we settled down and had a lovely meal and then returned to the B&B to freshen up for the evening.

We buzzed up again and Miguel came down to meet us and explain how to get into the building. He took us up a flight of stairs and into the center of the building. All of these beautiful old vines and trees wound their way up the sides of the inside of the building and I instantly felt like I was in a movie, the vintage elevator that we took from there was just the icing on the cake as we were soon to find out. We exited onto the 3rd floor and into the main foyer. There was a lot of natural light and the walls were decorated with some very nice art that we later found out was a relative of family. Miguel's lovely wife Viviana greeted us and showed us to our rooms.

We had booked two rooms because we were traveling with my parents. They stayed in the "Yellow" room and it was really very lovely. There were french doors that opened up onto the balcony where the wisteria was in full bloom, the bathroom was quite large and probably 3 times the size of a normal bathroom you would get in a regular hotel in Rome. There was also plenty of closet space and a safe. However we felts so safe in the B&B that we didn't even lock our doors when we left for the day.

The room that we stayed in was the "Blue" room and was much larger then expected. Having recently redecorated all of the rooms we were the second set of guests to stay in this room. The "Blue" room was made up of two rooms which were each about the same size as the "Yellow" room and we could have all comfortably stayed in this room together. The sitting room had a pull out couch and there were beautiful french doors between the rooms. The main room had a bathroom, bed and a chaise longue. Both of the rooms had french doors that opened out onto a beautiful view over the rooftops and onto Piazza del Popolo.

Every morning we had breakfast on the main balcony, surrounded by the wisteria. There was only one one other family staying at the B&B that arrived the day after us. I believe there were about 5 of them and they all stayed in the "Red" room. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see that room but was told that it was similar in size to the "Blue" room. Even though the family had teenage kids the entire B&B was so roomy that we hardly noticed that they were there.

All in all the entire weekend was wonderful. Miguel and Viviana were extremely gracious and took great care of us both in the lead up to our arrival and with a follow up email after we had returned home.

If you are looking for a great hideaway B&B right in the heart of Rome then I highly recommend this place. You wont be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TyeJakobs
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Episcopo Lipinsky is in the very heart of Rome's busy historical center. It is a place of peace and quiet and a beautiful antique structure. The rooms are spacious and clean,with beautiful custom made furniture. The breakfast is a delight,best Cappuccino in town by the way! We have traveled the world and stayed in many five star hotels. But if you want to live Rome like a citizen and feel the invigorating vibe of this unique city,then don't pick a hotel. When you leave your appartment in the morning through this pittoresque gate,then you'll say: I am leaving home! It is all due to Viviana and Miguel,who are doing a wonderful job as hosts and having an exceptional taste in furnishing the house. We will make this B&B our home base in Rome. Bad reviews are so out of place in this case. Have a great time!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Nobleboy60
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We have chosen this hotel, proceeding from enthusiastic responses. We planned to be there 5 nights. We have paid in advance for half a year.
And here that I will tell -I did not see more awful place in my life.
Plus -the central site and absolute silence.
Minus -it is a lot of them:
1, an awful cold in apartments. It was the beginning of March. We used the air conditioner and we received from personal letters that we spend the electric power much.
2, there conducted building and repair works directly in territory of apartments. A dirt, the noise, extraneous people.
3, everything is old, dirty and peel (sorry I dont know this word in English) , in a bathroom the cabin was not closed normally, brush for a toilet bowl has been broken . Cheap soap instead of normal accessories.
4, bad, poor breakfast-one 1 cup of tea or coffee, one 1 croissant and one slice of cheese and a ham. I have demanded that to us have given one egg.
4, nobody cleaned the rooms, nobody changed damp towels, which not dried because of a cold.
5, but most principal -all this happiness is for 250 euros per day!!!!
We have stayed there 3 nights when next morning we have not received a breakfast in time (we waited 25 minutes) and we have loose our tickets in Vatican , we have categorically demanded to return to us our money for 2 nights that we there planned to be, and have moved to other hotel.
We were really happy to be in normal conditions, in warm room, with a normal breakfast
The transfer from the airport costs 40-45 euro (ask any taxi). We paid to Miguel 60 euros. You have to be ready for this price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Marisha02
Discovery Bay, Ca
Reviewed February 18, 2011

My husband and I visited Rome for the second time and enjoyed it more than the first time mostly because of the hospitality of our host, Miguel. From the day we arrived until he saw us off at the train station we felt like we had a friend in Rome. The room, the rooftop garden and the breakfasts were delightful. We were located close to major sites,transportation and good restaurants. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple