“Not worth the effort”

81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Not worth the effort”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Spent more time stopped at Termini or Vatican waiting for more suckers to pay E18.
Just sat at traffic lights for ages, commentary was limited, most entertainment was watching how close driver could get to other traffic.
Expected so much after our experience of Paris HOHO, but this was useless. Just walk everywhere and enjoy the locals, E18 goes a long way on coffee and pastries.

1 Thank RL1973

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Worst tour I've ever done - Rome Illuminated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Me and my girlfriend took the Rome Illuminated tour with dinner. Minus 1 star for this Green Line tour! So many things I don't even know how to start. First, me and my girlfriend spent almost more time on the mini van to take us to the tour bus than on the actual tour bus. The pick up time was about 7pm and the we stopped in 5 hotels around the city before arriving to the the bus, which left about 8pm. Once the tour started we made 2 stops. The first was on trevi fountain for about 15 mins, where the guide gave a 2-3 mins explanation and stopped for a gigarette break and told us to take an ice cream. The second stop was in piazza fontana at 9:30pm, where we stayed for 5 mins during another brief explanation. The tour for us stopped there, because we were the only one on the bus which actually got the dinner option. The rest of the people continued on the night tour. The guide sent us to a restaurant nearby, which wasn't even near to trastevere as promissed! And the most ridicolous: the guide had to use a map and help from pedestrians to find the place!! After we asked about the drop off he told us the restaurant was on a ''walking distance from our hotel''. Guess what? it was a 1,5 mile walk, at night and on a absolute cold! Since i tought the was actually a drop off, i left my map at the hotel. The resut: we got lost and took more than 1 hour to get to the hotel! The food was ok and our waiter was kind to us, but it didnt worth the money payed, since we could go to a much bether restaurant for that price. And another problem: we couldnt even choose our food! So, my tip if you want to avoid stress and losing 100 dollars (200 for the couple), don't buy this tour! For that money you can just ride around the city by taxi and dine on an excellent restaurant on rome.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank dcamargo
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dont ever use this service. Our experience was horrific.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I took the tour with Green line tours the worst experience ever. I went with my 2 kids paid 42 euros. I even have a receipt. We went at 4pm, asked what time it ends, we were told at 8pm. We jumped off at the Vatican, walked around and at 5 pm the next tour bus came. We decided to jump on, the bus driver sat for 45 mins only when I questioned why we are not moving, we moved. We got to the second stop after the Vatican and they told us to get off and when we told them we didnt know Rome or where we are they told us that is our problem, just get off.

This was disgusting service. My kids 7 and 9 years were terrified, we were lost, cold and miserable. We had to find a taxi to take us home, we looked for almost 1 hour to find a taxi and it was a scary and horrible experience on our first day in Rome and on top we lost 42 Euros as we never saw anything.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank amanytech
Guatemala City, Guatemala
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Naples/Pompeii”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Going to Pompeii was great...Green Line Tours....not so much.... Don't even get off the bus to explore Naples....Made unecessary stops to try to get us to by prodects (a jewelry store that sells shells?!?!) No real personality/info from tour guide (she repeated herself with the same facts about 10 times) Not worth the price at all...........But Go to Pompeii!!!

1 Thank du5tbu5ter
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The Boston accent of the English recorded commentary was the best part...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I boarded the GLT bus at Barberini. A map of the routes including the first and last bus times at each station was provided to us upon boarding. The service runs a different route on weekends/public holidays than the usual weekday run.

There was not live commentary, but recorded in a number of languages delivered through appropriately green coloured ear buds. The headphone ports were sorely in need of attention as they were a bit dicky dropping between stereo and mono with the slightest provocation.

The commentary was rather bland and uninformative and seemed poorly timed and structured. It would often start and end before the attraction was in view, and often didn't even indicate if it was on the left or right hand side.

The bus itself was clean enough, but rather noisy on the ground level.

Boarding the bus on the second day, it was late for its first stop of the day. If you are planning on using the bus in the last remaining time of your ticket, be sure you leave ample 'wiggle room' to account for potential tardy arrivals. Despite running behind schedule, we were informed upon arriving at Termini Station, that we would be leaving again in 35 minutes times. So for 35 minutes, we sat, aboard the stationary bus, at Termini Station, watching nothing in particular.

I'm sure there are better HOHO services available. Try another...

1 Thank Parlez-vous_stralian