“Worst tour I've ever done - Rome Illuminated”

Green Line Tours - Day Tours
Assisi and Orvieto Day Trip from Rome
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Worst tour I've ever done - Rome Illuminated”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Me and my girlfriend took the Rome Illuminated tour with dinner. Minus 1 star for this Green Line tour! So many things I don't even know how to start. First, me and my girlfriend spent almost more time on the mini van to take us to the tour bus than on the actual tour bus. The pick up time was about 7pm and the we stopped in 5 hotels around the city before arriving to the the bus, which left about 8pm. Once the tour started we made 2 stops. The first was on trevi fountain for about 15 mins, where the guide gave a 2-3 mins explanation and stopped for a gigarette break and told us to take an ice cream. The second stop was in piazza fontana at 9:30pm, where we stayed for 5 mins during another brief explanation. The tour for us stopped there, because we were the only one on the bus which actually got the dinner option. The rest of the people continued on the night tour. The guide sent us to a restaurant nearby, which wasn't even near to trastevere as promissed! And the most ridicolous: the guide had to use a map and help from pedestrians to find the place!! After we asked about the drop off he told us the restaurant was on a ''walking distance from our hotel''. Guess what? it was a 1,5 mile walk, at night and on a absolute cold! Since i tought the was actually a drop off, i left my map at the hotel. The resut: we got lost and took more than 1 hour to get to the hotel! The food was ok and our waiter was kind to us, but it didnt worth the money payed, since we could go to a much bether restaurant for that price. And another problem: we couldnt even choose our food! So, my tip if you want to avoid stress and losing 100 dollars (200 for the couple), don't buy this tour! For that money you can just ride around the city by taxi and dine on an excellent restaurant on rome.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank dcamargo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dont ever use this service. Our experience was horrific.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I took the tour with Green line tours the worst experience ever. I went with my 2 kids paid 42 euros. I even have a receipt. We went at 4pm, asked what time it ends, we were told at 8pm. We jumped off at the Vatican, walked around and at 5 pm the next tour bus came. We decided to jump on, the bus driver sat for 45 mins only when I questioned why we are not moving, we moved. We got to the second stop after the Vatican and they told us to get off and when we told them we didnt know Rome or where we are they told us that is our problem, just get off.

This was disgusting service. My kids 7 and 9 years were terrified, we were lost, cold and miserable. We had to find a taxi to take us home, we looked for almost 1 hour to find a taxi and it was a scary and horrible experience on our first day in Rome and on top we lost 42 Euros as we never saw anything.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank amanytech
Guatemala City, Guatemala
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Naples/Pompeii”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Going to Pompeii was great...Green Line Tours....not so much.... Don't even get off the bus to explore Naples....Made unecessary stops to try to get us to by prodects (a jewelry store that sells shells?!?!) No real personality/info from tour guide (she repeated herself with the same facts about 10 times) Not worth the price at all...........But Go to Pompeii!!!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank du5tbu5ter
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The Boston accent of the English recorded commentary was the best part...”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I boarded the GLT bus at Barberini. A map of the routes including the first and last bus times at each station was provided to us upon boarding. The service runs a different route on weekends/public holidays than the usual weekday run.

There was not live commentary, but recorded in a number of languages delivered through appropriately green coloured ear buds. The headphone ports were sorely in need of attention as they were a bit dicky dropping between stereo and mono with the slightest provocation.

The commentary was rather bland and uninformative and seemed poorly timed and structured. It would often start and end before the attraction was in view, and often didn't even indicate if it was on the left or right hand side.

The bus itself was clean enough, but rather noisy on the ground level.

Boarding the bus on the second day, it was late for its first stop of the day. If you are planning on using the bus in the last remaining time of your ticket, be sure you leave ample 'wiggle room' to account for potential tardy arrivals. Despite running behind schedule, we were informed upon arriving at Termini Station, that we would be leaving again in 35 minutes times. So for 35 minutes, we sat, aboard the stationary bus, at Termini Station, watching nothing in particular.

I'm sure there are better HOHO services available. Try another...

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Parlez-vous_stralian
Brisbane
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“What a shame to have poor service for an iconic tour!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Morning of 9 January my partner and I decided to recap our Rome sight seeing with the hop on hop off Green Line tour by bus around Rome. We were approached at the train station Roma Termini by guide/salesperson offering day ticket for 18 EUR. We decided to take the offer, so the guide / salesperson took us to the nearby Green Line office where we purchased daily ticket. We then proceeded to the nearby stop at Roma Termini where we could board the bus. There were about 20 people waiting to board with us, mixed nationalities, not all speaking English. A large group were ahead and behind me and my partner. All were conversing loudly like my partner and I were invisible! Perhaps excited for their forthcoming bus trip... I am unsure. As time came to board there were two from this group ahead of us who entered the bus. Plenty of space on the bus. The buses also depart every 20 mins. The persons in front began to converse with the tour operator checking people onto the bus and hand over their boarding passes. Conversation followed with the two in front of us for some minutes. My partner and I could not understand what was being discussed, again spoken in Spanish or Italian. Then for no apparent reason the people behind us began pushing and trying to enter the bus. The two people ahead of my partner and I began waving to the group behind us to get on the bus. About 10 people pushed around us entering the bus. The tour operator did nothing to speak to my partner and I. The action by this group then started to send the remainder of people waiting into a boarding frenzy! My partner and I were next to board so we entered the bus with the rest of the group pushing us forward or trying to get around us. We asked the tour operator why he allowed others to board ahead and complained about the behaviour of the group around us. He said nothing. He was smiling as if to say "bad luck". We boarded the bus and took a seat. The remainder of passengers got on and seated themselves.

The bus tour uses headsets in multiple languages. Several of the headset jacks we tried did not work and we needed to move seats.

At one of the stops the tour ticket operator got off the bus for what appeared to be a short break where he proceeded to light up a cigarette and begin smoking. The two people who were ahead of my partner and I initially in the queue saw the operator smoking and decided to dismount the bus and join him on the sidewalk. One they were all finished their cigarettes they got back on the bus and we continued around the streets of Rome.

We took a similar tour in the same week in Milan. Green Line organisation was really unprofessional in comparison to the Milan operators of the red hop on hop off buses. Green Line tour operators on this bus we had entered showed little regard to informing passengers of stops or to regulating people getting on the bus. Shambles.

Really unprofessional. I would not return to use this service, nor would I recommend it to others.

4 Thank BrisbaneMegan