“Sorry but I wasn't very impressed with the place”
Review of A Casa di Penelope

A Casa di Penelope
Ranked #3,028 of 3,620 Rome B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Sorry but I wasn't very impressed with the place”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The good thing was definitely the location, really close to Termini station, and the fact that it's a new place so things look clean. But other than that, I arrived and found out that they overbooked and I had to stay in a hostel next door. Wouldn't be a problem, but I had to change my room in the morning, which meant unnecessary packing and unpacking. I had problems accessing the Wifi in both hostels, no hot water at times in both of them. I also found Casa di Penelope very noisy at night - the outside gate, which is in use all the time, was really keeping me awake. The hostel also didn't have the atmosphere. Usually there is some common room, a kitchen or something, where people hang out. This place looks like an office in a residential building and you feel like is someone's flat. Sorry to say, but I also didn't find the staff too friendly and I didn't feel welcomed at all.

Room Tip: Not with windows facing the outside gate if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank evenflows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed July 22, 2012

If you are not looking for a luxury stay and just need the basics- clean room, clean bathroom, good shower and decent location this is the place. We went there in July so the rate was a little cheaper than the peak rate in September but still we were only paying 22 eur per person per night. There were 3 of us together and was really impress with the quality of stay with this price. I travel a lot and trust me this is the best I have seen with this price point.

As for the location, it is very quiet for us and always get good sleep at night. The place was in fact very easy to find, I don't understand how it was hard for others. It was just a straight walk from the Termini metro with one small turn after the street sign.

bottom line- Recommended for budget and basic stays

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Location was great, two or three blocks down from Termini. Nice little building, greeted by the ever friendly Babu. Rooms were plain but clean. Babu went to great lengths to ensure that our air conditioning was working. Bathrooms were clean, and we had clean towels. Only downside is that the wifi can't really be accessed in our rooms, we had to sit out in the corridor to use it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was quite a bit different than what I expected. It is not labelled from the street, so you have to look at the street numbers. We finally found the place after walking past it twice and someone helped us find it. It is just part of another building, so you have to look for it as you would an office.

The rooms are converted from larger office or condo space. You can see where the walls were put in. Because of this, there really are no secrets from your neighbors.

The bedroom area is spartan but clean. There are no closets or wardrobes, just some shelves and some hangers out in the open. The bathroom had new everything and was very clean. There are no provided soaps, shampoos or shower caps - you will need to bring you own. You also only get one towel per person and a floor mat. I think you could get more if you asked, we didn't have the need though.

Service was good and there was always someone manning the front desk, although Babu really seemed to be the one who could get things done. He was very helpful and arranged for a car to the airport and got hot water working when it wasn't. I was actually surprised that we went from no hot water to plenty in a few minutes.

One thing that I liked as opposed to every other place I stayed in Italy is that electricity didn't have the key card requirement to keep it running. So I was able to charge my equipment while we were touring.

My complaints are that the place is very hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for and then that WiFi was not available in the rooms when we understood that it would be, it appears to be available for some but not all.

I was actually pleased with the experience, although it was such a shock that we almost didn't stay. I would stay there again and would recommend it to someone who is looking for a value stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cyprus
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed for 5 days and considering this we should have asked for a quiet room as where we were given we heard everyone coming and going at night through the doors. Location is good rooms are ok some attention needs to be taken on little broken accessories. one day had no hot water but fixed quickly but not informed. had a lovely inside court yard listening to opera music from the music school was a indirect added touch breakfast was very lame dont bother paying for breakfast or going to collect croisant or coffee down the road. wifi only in reception area

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dalyan, Turkey
Reviewed February 12, 2012

first of all thanks to Babu for everything. hotel is in an apartment which is just 2 min. away from the Termini. Babu gives you all the keys (even the apartments key) so you feel like your home. everything in the room is new and very functional. we loved the decoration of the room.
our room was quite big and clean. bed was very comfortable. lcd tv is the biggest one I've seen in the hotels. bathroom is big enough. safe box is in the room and free of charge. there is cenral heating and A/C in the room. in the day central heating is working very well. at night you can turn on the A/C for heating. (at our first night A/C turned on automatically when central heating stopped working)
Babu gives you a ticket for the breakfast. you go to a bar bar on the next street with this ticket and take your drink and tasty croissant.

we recommend Babu's place if you are looking for a clean, comfortable bed and nice memories.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Katowice
Reviewed January 20, 2012

The rooms are new, simple and modern.
Very friendly place and best location! just a few minutes from Termini Station! From Termini we had direct access to all trains and buses which was great.
We paid 45 Euro/per night!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends