“Coliseum”
Review of Mecenate Rooms

Mecenate Rooms
Ranked #909 of 3,721 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Enjoyed staying in these rooms rather than in a hotel. They had everything we needed including wifi & tea & coffee making facilities. Location just a couple of minutes through the park to the magnificent Coliseum so we were able to walk back after dark and enjoy the floodlit view of this wonder. Many restaurants from 0 - 5 stars within 5 minutes walk. Marta was extremely helpful with any inquiries I made by email before arrival and I particularly recommend the airport transfer company they use. We were collected by a uniformed driver right on time from the front door and delivered to the correct terminal in a very short time and at a price barely 10 Euros more than if we had walked back to the Termini and caught the direct train.

Room Tip: Catch the local bus from Termini very cheaply to reach the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaigeySouthAustralia

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Let me first start out this review by stating Camilla and Marta (the inn keepers) were extremely helpful, gracious and wonderful hosts who helped us emensely throughout our stay.
But there were some issues...
The rooms are loud, especially the red painted room and the other one bedroom. It's not even that the street is extremely busy, it's that the windows are paper thin, and you can hear everything that happens in the lobby area as well. They could improve this by getting some better insulated windows and a more private and insulated entrance door to the rooms.
The rooms were well appointed but the bathrooms left little to be desired. The showers are hard to use, which wouldn't be a problem for me since I prefer baths. However I couldn't take a bath in our tub because it was very dirty. The shower curtain was disgustingly moldy. All they needed to do was a buy a new shower curtain and scrub the tub a bit better, easy fix. The rest of the room was very neat, clean and well furnished. They do not change your sheets every day however, which didn't really bother us.
The location is a bit off the beaten path.
I loved the breakfast in the cafe across the street. Cappuccino was delicious!
And again the hosts are very lovely.
All in all an average stay but if they fixed the noise issues and bathroom problems, it would be
very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JTBarnard
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a great experience in Mecenate Rooms. It is not a hotel so you feel you really leave in Rome!
The reception team made everything to help us with Flexible time to receive us and then to accomodate our late flight. Room was clean and quiet. And the hotel is very well located, close to Coliseum.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tatiana C
Reviewed October 14, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We booked a room in the Mecenate Palace Hotel, but somehow our reservation was lost. Instead, they gave us a suite in their apartments next door. The room was huge, and well appointed. It was a very good value for the price. The only problem was having to go downstairs and two doors over to the hotel for breakfast. Highly rtecommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nice location. A little off the beaten path, but that's an odd thing to say about a place less than five minutes form the Coliseum. It's a pleasant neighborhood with some charming restaurants. And contrary to what some other reviewers posted, I found it rather quiet. But I'm from New York, so I might have a higher tolerance for the sound of people and cars passing by in the night (for what it's worth, there was little of either the nights I was there). The rooms are large and pleasant, though the desk area leaves a little to be desired, which might be important if you're visiting with work purposes in mind. However, if you're in Rome, why would you want to be working in your hotel room when you can be sitting in a cafe? Speaking of cafes, I found the one where breakfast was served, more than adequate (and only a few yards from the front door). The only thing you really sacrifice at the Mecenate Rooms is having a staff member on the premises at all times. When someone was there, they were very friendly and helpful. But no one was there most of the time. On the plus side, it allows you to enjoy feeling like you're living in an apartment in Rome, rather than visiting a hotel. On the negative side, if the wi-fi goes down (and it did once), there's no one to fix it until the following morning. However, I considered that a small price to pay for a clean and comfortable, reasonably priced room in the heart of Rome during the summer. I'm very glad I found the Mecenate Rooms and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at the Mecenate Rooms over Easter. I picked this B&B after reading good reviews and we weren't disappointed. The room was really comfortable, clean and modern and just what we needed after walking around all day!

The staff were really helpful and provided good information for rail links from the airport, but ultimately organised a taxi to and from the airport for us, which made our tranfer very easy and problem-free.

The B&B was in a great location, just a short walk to the Colloseum but also within walking distance to the metro, which we used to travel to the other side of Rome (St Peters).

The only reason this B&B didn't get 5 stars is because I felt that the breakfast was a bit limited. It was fine for me & my husband but I can imagine that it would not be quite what everyone expects (coffee/tea & pastry at the cafe over the road).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple