“Great Pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed September 17, 2011

After wandering along a row of similar restaurants we decided on this one due to the friendly waiter and the set price menu EUR12 for a bruschetta and a choice of pastas or pizza together with a glass of wine or beer (get the wine). The pizza was one of the best I have tasted and my wife would not allow me to try her ragù she thought it was so good. The wine was a good size but the beer was small and I asked for another. When the bill came they had forgotten the extra beer and when I pointed it out I think they overcharged me for it. However the balance of the meal was great so I just reduced the tip to compensate.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

We arrived late in the evening into Rome so were hungry and made the mistake of being lured in by the pushy (but initially friendly) waiter. From the moment we sat down the waiter's attitude changed. We are by no means slow eaters but the waiter arrived with the main courses when we were half way through our starters and was rude when we highlighted the fact. He stood watching and as my girlfriend put her last piece of food on her fork, he took the plate, before she even had it in her mouth!!! Main courses were horrible: soggy overcooked veg and greasy, slimy, tiny pieces of meat. The waiter was rude throughout and gave us the bill after the main course, without mentioning the possibility of dessert or coffee (although he probably did us a favour). Bill came to 98 euros for 2 small starters and two disgusting mains!! He then had the nerve to say he would put the service charge on the card!! Aviod this place at all costs. Bad food, terrible service, ridiculously over-priced.

6  Thank KJ1976
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband and I ate at Ecce Bombo (right off of Piazza Navona) three times in June 2011 and chose it for our last meal in Rome before coming back to the States because we loved the pastas so much. We're baffled about the other reviewers' experiences regarding the pushy staff and padded bills. We typically shared a pizza, each had a pasta, and two drinks and the bill would never be over 30 euros. The Spaghetti Carbonara is to die for as well as the fettucine bolognese and the linguini al mare. Ecce Bombo is located on what is known as "cheap street" because the prices are so much more reasonable than restaurants right in the Piazza. We went to more expensive restaurants in the city and were disappointed and kept coming back to Ecce Bombo.

1  Thank designer10California
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were shown a board which read "No service charges, No bread charges, No Cover charges"

Yet when we got our bill for the worst Italian meal in our 20 days in Italy, we we're told we had to pay or else! We said call the police and were told to wait. After 20 mins we were told to come in and pay up, or else and no sign of the cops.

So beware of these fraudsters! They should be reported to the authorities.

5  Thank Sanjivba
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I have never used this website before, but this restaurant and waitstaff was so bad that I had to echo prior comments. My wife and I ate here, mainly because it began pouring rain and we were standing right outside their awning. The food was very bad and extremely overpriced...frozen pana cotta. And, although we were visibly upset, the waiter had the nerve to ask how much we wanted to tip. I don't think you can do worse than this in Rome.

2  Thank Dbowen23

Been to Ecce Bombo? Share your experiences!