“Good food - nice atmosphere”
Review of L'Arcano

L'Arcano
Ranked #9,734 of 12,864 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Colonna
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wow, well I am glad I did not read any of these reviews before choosing L'Arcano for our Christmas Eve dinner. We are a family of six with kids from 18 to 10, and I was looking for a mid-priced Christmas Eve dinner that was not prix fixe. Since we were going to midnight Mass in the vicinity of the Pantheon, we wanted a restaurant nearby. I did not see any menu board outside as many of these reviewers did and just looked at the menu, and there also was no one outside trying to convince people to come in to the restaurant. It had a variety of options for all of us at a reasonable price. We chose to eat outside as they had large heaters and since we are from Illinois, 50 degrees F (10 C) is not that cold. The outside tables were packed with locals and not tourists. The house wine was wonderful. Our bruschetta for the antipasti was lightly toasted with a flavorful olive oil and they gave two slices of bruschetta. For our main dish, we all chose some type of pasta - the carbonara, the Bucatini all’ Amatriciana, and the lobster with spaghetti. The plates were full and the half lobster was nicely done and presented. This may be a tourist restaurant during the summer months, and it may not be the best restaurant we had dinner at, but it was a fine choice for Christmas Eve dinner.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just as the previous members rated this place. Unfortunately we got stuck here. Once they seat you , you are in trouble. It looks very inviting with outside and inside seating. Candles and outside heaters and eager waiters await you. I ordered the pasta with mushrooms and had maybe 4 bites of mushrooms. Prices are high and they charge you for bread and other services. We had to argue with them about the bill., Please run and don't be fooled by the inviting looks. There are plenty other nice restaurants only feef away.

1  Thank 2muchfun4us
Reviewed December 27, 2012

do not ask for any extra small portion. For a small portion of rice they charged me $ 20 euros ... the food was not that good .

1  Thank mariosena
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Nice looking restaurant - ambiance looks wonderful BUT DON'T BE FOOLED! The staffs eagerness for your business disappears once they seat you. Prepare to be ignored, dissappointed, and unhappy. Tourist trap for sure. The only thing good about being ignored is that the waiter was sneezing, coughing and cleaning out his nose every chance he had. YUCK!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I don't know exactly why we decided on this restaurant - I think it was probably the signs and menu out front. However when we were given the menu, none of the items matched up with the prices. There was one set menu choice and when I asked for it I was told it was only for lunch. Nowhere either on the menu or outside did it indicate this was the case. We should have realized at that time we were being scammed, but we were tired and decided to just order an appetizer and one additional course each. I wish we had left. We ordered a house wine and were given a very small bottle - I think it was a quarter liter - that had their name on it. The cost was 9 Euros. We have been paying about 8-9 Euros for a full liter in restaurants in Trastevere. The food wasn't horrible, but portions were very small for the cost. Also - when we ordered, the waiter insisted on trying to make us switch to something else. We thought he was only doing that to us, but noticed he did it with everyone who came in. Not a very enjoyable experience and this restaurant is definitely one to avoid.

Been to L'Arcano? Share your experiences!