“La Luna Romana”

Ranked #1,548 of 3,642 Rome B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“La Luna Romana”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The room was smaller than any of the pictures - tiny! Our aircon was stuck on a freezing setting and when we complained, they said they would attend to it, but they didn't. Our TV didn't work the whole time we were there and again they didnt do anything about it when we complained. It was also extremely noisy, especially early in the morning! However, the receptionists were very helpful. Quite good location too. OK if you are on a tight budget.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I just checked out today after a 3-night stay. With the price, I think it's ok, but somehow it's not what I expected.

1/ upon my arrival, I searched the place with the address stated on tripadvisor, but I couldn't, at last I had to call with international call and checked out what the exact place was. Turned out that I had to go to a reception place where the address was never mentioned to me before. But it was ok, I was given a map, then a lady called Maria got us to our room. Again, the room was in a building with address not mentioned in our booking. I somehow doubt whether it was really the place I booked.

2/ we were brought to our room, it was, well, with such price, it was ok. Small, but seems to be clean, and we weren't having any expectation so it was ok. I don't have a computer with me, so I can't check if it looks the same as it shows on the website, but the reception area does.

3/ we had a 3-night stay, but Maria never changed our towels, and only giving us a new toilet roll upon request, when obviously she should have found out its running out when cleaning up our room.

4/ the shower area was very very tiny, but the hot water came through fine with reasonable water pressure, so it was fine for us.

5/ breakfast, big disappointment. No coffee was one disappointment, and the food we were served, was just a pack of 2 little pieces of toast for each of us, there was one more pre-packed croissant on the first morning. We didnt bother to eat it again before our departure. I wonder how Maria could serve us such food not feeling embarrassed. I think my mom gave me such breakfast when I was in kindergarten. What a shame.

6/ the room was not equipped with hair dryer, so we had to borrow it from Maria every morning, and she gladly lent us. Unfortunately on the last morning (which is today, to be exact), the hair dryer got burnt while using it, I didn't know how it happened. But I didn't wanna owe her anything, so I brought it back to her, with a 20 euro note.

7/ there was no communication between Maria and us, cos she barely speaks English, so don't bother to ask for directions or any recommendations of any kind, if you don't speak Italian.

8/ it's more than 10-minute walk from termini as I was told! I guess with luggages, it approximately took us 20-30 minutes, with directions unclear at all.

overall, with such price, I think it's ok. On our second last day, we finally found out there are buses near the B&B, so we don't need to walk all the way to the metro everyday.

Btw, it seems to me that the place I stayed only got 3 rooms in it, but one night there was a man knocking our door, asking if we know any place we could buy bottled water, the next morning, 3 pairs of guests (inclusive of us) having breakfast in the room, and none of them was that man from latest night, that's kinda weird. Anyone any idea as to why?

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank anngeewoo
Haugesund, Norway
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My teen daughter and I stayed here in October. We had a great time seeing Rome. This hotel's main point is it's location. It's very central. We walked to it from the main train station on arrival and it took about 10 or 15 minutes. We got the 3 day transport cards, and were about 5 minutes away from a metro station, so getting around to all the places we wanted to go was very easy. We had a problem with the drain in the shower the first night, but when I mentioned it to the staff, it was fixed in a matter of minutes.

The room was actually very nice and the only weak point is that the water pressure is very low at different times. But, it's an old building in Rome, so this is to be expected. Some people commented before that there was no hot water in the evening, but we found that there was sufficient in the mornings even if the pressure was low.

Breakfast was fine, and the cappuccino from the machine was some of the best I had. There is only one elevator for the whole building which actually has 3 or 4 different hotels in it. A different hotel on almost every floor, so sometimes we had to wait, but it wasn't a big deal for us.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank David L
Athens, Greece
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The room was clean and there was always hot water, things that I find most important. Plus it is close to Barberini and Republica metro station or even much closer to buses which run regularly to Termini station. It is in a rather quiet street with lovely restaurants nearby, shops to buy fruits, cheese, bread etc. to make your own panini. The lift was making a loud squicking noise that was heard in the room, but I think they fixed on our last day. Breakfast is ok if you spend two or three days, it gets very monotonous after that as it is mostly consisting of croissants. Rome is amazing!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I enjoyed my two nights at La Luna Romana. I was a woman traveling alone and felt safe. Thank you to the tripadvisor member that responded to me regarding safety and this hotel. The room was newly remodeled (better than the pics) and much better than I expected for what I spent. The breakfast was adequate to start the day. Do not eschew the coffee machine. It produces a pretty good product. The front desk even let me check in early, which was a blessing since I needed a nap after listening to a very sweet child for 7 of the 9 hours of my transatlantic flight. The average rating relates to customer service. I tend to adjust my expectations and will make do generally. I only expected a clean bed and a hot shower from this hotel honestly. The problem was lack of hot water (or even lukewarm which is amazing when the outside air temp is north of 90 degrees Fahrenheit). I mentioned this after my first night and they told me I didn't let the water run long enough. I returned the second night after a wonderful 18 mile Appian Way bike tour dreaming of showering the layers of dust off of me, and after opening the hot water faucet for 10 minutes, I still only got ice cold water. The gentleman at the front desk worked with it and figured out me and the couple in the room next to me really did have a problem. However, nothing could be done to fix the problem in the immediate future. He was very polite and appeared to sympathize with me (maybe he saw the dust streaks on my cheek). I checked out the next morning still longing for a shower that didnt leave me shivering and wishing someone would do more than just acknowledge the problem. While waiting on him to call a plumber I watched other people come by with different issues and the response was similar (We're so sorry the whatever is not working but there is nothing I can do about it). Again, I think the room was more lovely than expected but the response to issues from hot water to internet issues left a lot to be desired.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mangnoliatrav
SIOUX FALLS
Reviewed June 15, 2011

La Luna is a GREAT place to stay for the amenity conscious budget traveler. It is a very simple 10 minute walk from the Tremini station, but just 5 minutes away from the nearest metro stop. As young travelers, my group only took transportation to the Vatican given the hotel's easy location. It is a brisk but nice 25 minute walk to the Colosseum, and every other great landmark is less than that distance away. There are also nice restaurants, cafes, and small supermarkets surrounding the blocks of the hotel. It is on a quiet and safe street.

The free breakfast is very good by European standards-- croissants, cereal, bread/butter, ham, juice, and an espresso machine. The place is clean and friendly, though the elevator is small. The rooms themselves are fairly large by European standards and come with refrigerators and self-controlled air conditioning, both rarities in Rome! Bathrooms are large and have excellent showers. If you're American, there are even English movies on TV!

I would highly recommend the place for a good deal in Rome. It's not a 5-star place, and some of the staff speaks very limited English. You also need to pay in cash, but there are plenty of ATM's nearby. Overall, it's very clean, safe, and nice. You'll feel comfortable here.

Room Tip: Ask for the 6th floor-- you'll get a balcony!