“October -13, as promised” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Art in Accommodation
Ranked #801 of 1,067 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Helsinki, Finland
“October -13, as promised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I reviewed this b&b a year ago, and as promised, we came back in October (sorry for the late review).

The points I'd like to stress are mainly the same as last year:
A) PLEASE contact the hotel on your approximate arrival time so that someone will be at the office to let you in and
B) do not expect 5* room at 50€ a night.

Paolo, the owner remembered us from last year and was kind enough to give us the same room we had stayed in. Clean, spacious, two windows so that there might be a nice draft in warmer nights, two fans and comfy beds.

There are two toilets/showers for five rooms, really no need to queue.
The breakfast is served in a cafe called Ponzi's, a drink and a sweet cornetto.
I believe that it is possible to have a kettle and a hairdryer for your stay if you so wish.
Basically the worst noise you'll encounter at night will be from the other guests coming and going and using the toilets/showers as the locks are a bit tricky to manage and the corridor is paved with stone.

The only negative this time was that the bins weren't emptied for three days, not quite sure why as last year the room was kept very clean.

Another October, another stay in Rome? I guess we will be coming back, just for the relatively quiet neighbourhood (no dodgy characters noted) and of course the value.
Honestly, when in Rome, do you really need to pay any attention to flaky windowsills? I think not ;)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been backpacking for around 9 years and this was the worst place I have ever stayed. I would recommend to everyone against staying here.

Getting here without being mugged is an achievement in itself, but once you navigate your way through the urine smelling streets and arrive, you would be lucky to recognise that a hotel even exists. It does but you have to look hard and the neighbouring businesses don't know about it either.

Despite giving them forewarning that i would arrive around 10pm and they would be open until I get there, they weren't. I was meeting my Mum there and she checked in before me and was told that she could let me in. So the owner left the place and my mum was stuck there waiting for me to arrive. However the owner didn't tell her when I was expected and she couldn't leave the hotel. Meanwhile I couldn't find the place and no one was answering the phone when I called or the door when I rang, because, for some insane reason, this job had been passed onto my Mum. We were given a double room, not a twin as requested and our experience was horrendous in every sense of the word.

We checked out the next day, never recieving our breakfast and I never saw the owner. So in summary...

DO NOT STAY HERE. IT IS DODGY, DISGUSTING AND THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sijohnston1

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Vilnius, Lithuania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Pros: Location is very good. Room clean and big. Owner gives coupons for breakfast that is in the bar 10 min fast walk.
Cons: the most dissapointing was shower. I had to choose between cold water and very small jet of warm one.
When I asked for cattle, host offered microwave that was in coridor. Regarding glasses, he proposed to go to shop and buy them. Otherwise, he is quite friendly.
We booked Poliziano Inn hostel, but owner mixed smth and changed it to this one. They are close to each other. Its not a problem, just lack of organization. Btw, he has also Laterano Guest House (what a coincidence that during our stay in Rome I chose both his hostels..) and I liked it more.
To sum up, I recomend you to try to find better hostel.

Room Tip: Call host to meet you in front of the place. Technically it is not hostel, so there is no sign.
Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We spent there two nights, and we could not wait to move on and move out from this place. The area was really ugly, the breakfast were 15 minutes walk from the accommodation. Toilet paper was missing constantly. Instead of double room we got twin rooms with two beds joint together, with very uncomfortable bedding. We are both very young and we do not mind sleeping on most of the type of beds, but this one caused pain to both of us. There was not any water pressure, and we could not wash our hair at all. Moreover, we were very worried about the safety as there is one key which seems to be general for all of the rooms. I would not recommend this place at all. Furthermore, it is not any kind of hotel, it is just a flat which is rented in one of the Italian buildings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magdalena D
California, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

It was really bad experience with this guesthouse that we had. We came to the place, went up stairs just to know that we were about to move to another place due to reconstruction that they were having. We walked for 20min and were left with another guy, he said he was really serious with the business, by a " talianish" language, didnot understand why he said that until we saw the place where we were about to stay. It was dark, wet and small 2 bed- room. He tried to get more money from us by showing another double bedroom, we thought that we could stay there until we realized that breakfast is not included as what we booked for in the original guesthouse. We ended up finding another place after he seemed aggresive and threw out bad words, he said that he just helped us, so if we want to stay then stay, if not, then leave. We found another place, paid a little more but felt comfortable and respectful. I wouldnot recommend this hostel to anyone at all, disrespect, irresponsibilty and arrogance, you dont need to pay to deserve this!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank h h
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were booked to stay for two nights around the busy Easter period - without any prior warning of any problems we arrived a the hostel building entrance to be informed that there had been a problem and we were being moved to another hostel. We were walked for 5 minutes until we were left with another hostel owner in the street.

The alternative accomodation was cramped, dark and dingy. The owner kept trying to get us to pay more for an ensuite bathroom and was not particularly pleasant, neither were his two staff members who were hanging around. When we told him that we would not be staying with him he told us that we would be charged for two nights as we had broken the contract. He shouted abuse down the stairs at us as we left. We had to find alternative accomodation at short notice which ended up costing us an additional 100 euros.

My experince of the Art in Accomodation is that I feel that they are prepared to bump you to another hostel and have little care regarding the quality of the alternative accomodation. I would not recommend going anywhere near the place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HC601
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I really recommend staying here, but not during winter or summer if you don't like extreme temperatures because they only have a central heater and I didn't see an AC unit on our room. Of course the quality is what you pay for, but the place was extremely clean. The place is not a hotel is like a long hallway with a with some rooms. We went during New Years 2010, since they only have central heater and our room was the one at the very entrance IT WAS WAY TOO COLD at night and they did give us an extra blanket but it was not enough. Besides that, the room serve its purpose, we had quite peaceful nights, they guy at the office was very kind to lend me an adapter for our electronics. I recommend this place for traveling with friend (I went there with my Mom, she is 56 and probably a hotel could have been better) I don't recommend taking kids, or going as a couple since you can hear everything no matter where you are. Since it is a shared bathroom, we could hear EVERYTHING they where doing in the bathroom from our room which was the last one on the hallway. The location was perfect, it was only about 10-15 minute walk to the coliseum.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends