“Not my best experience”

Art in Accommodation
Ranked #878 of 1,196 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Pros: Location is very good. Room clean and big. Owner gives coupons for breakfast that is in the bar 10 min fast walk.
Cons: the most dissapointing was shower. I had to choose between cold water and very small jet of warm one.
When I asked for cattle, host offered microwave that was in coridor. Regarding glasses, he proposed to go to shop and buy them. Otherwise, he is quite friendly.
We booked Poliziano Inn hostel, but owner mixed smth and changed it to this one. They are close to each other. Its not a problem, just lack of organization. Btw, he has also Laterano Guest House (what a coincidence that during our stay in Rome I chose both his hostels..) and I liked it more.
To sum up, I recomend you to try to find better hostel.

Room Tip: Call host to meet you in front of the place. Technically it is not hostel, so there is no sign.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We spent there two nights, and we could not wait to move on and move out from this place. The area was really ugly, the breakfast were 15 minutes walk from the accommodation. Toilet paper was missing constantly. Instead of double room we got twin rooms with two beds joint together, with very uncomfortable bedding. We are both very young and we do not mind sleeping on most of the type of beds, but this one caused pain to both of us. There was not any water pressure, and we could not wash our hair at all. Moreover, we were very worried about the safety as there is one key which seems to be general for all of the rooms. I would not recommend this place at all. Furthermore, it is not any kind of hotel, it is just a flat which is rented in one of the Italian buildings.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magdalena D
Reviewed May 16, 2013

It was really bad experience with this guesthouse that we had. We came to the place, went up stairs just to know that we were about to move to another place due to reconstruction that they were having. We walked for 20min and were left with another guy, he said he was really serious with the business, by a " talianish" language, didnot understand why he said that until we saw the place where we were about to stay. It was dark, wet and small 2 bed- room. He tried to get more money from us by showing another double bedroom, we thought that we could stay there until we realized that breakfast is not included as what we booked for in the original guesthouse. We ended up finding another place after he seemed aggresive and threw out bad words, he said that he just helped us, so if we want to stay then stay, if not, then leave. We found another place, paid a little more but felt comfortable and respectful. I wouldnot recommend this hostel to anyone at all, disrespect, irresponsibilty and arrogance, you dont need to pay to deserve this!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank h h
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were booked to stay for two nights around the busy Easter period - without any prior warning of any problems we arrived a the hostel building entrance to be informed that there had been a problem and we were being moved to another hostel. We were walked for 5 minutes until we were left with another hostel owner in the street.

The alternative accomodation was cramped, dark and dingy. The owner kept trying to get us to pay more for an ensuite bathroom and was not particularly pleasant, neither were his two staff members who were hanging around. When we told him that we would not be staying with him he told us that we would be charged for two nights as we had broken the contract. He shouted abuse down the stairs at us as we left. We had to find alternative accomodation at short notice which ended up costing us an additional 100 euros.

My experince of the Art in Accomodation is that I feel that they are prepared to bump you to another hostel and have little care regarding the quality of the alternative accomodation. I would not recommend going anywhere near the place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HC601
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I really recommend staying here, but not during winter or summer if you don't like extreme temperatures because they only have a central heater and I didn't see an AC unit on our room. Of course the quality is what you pay for, but the place was extremely clean. The place is not a hotel is like a long hallway with a with some rooms. We went during New Years 2010, since they only have central heater and our room was the one at the very entrance IT WAS WAY TOO COLD at night and they did give us an extra blanket but it was not enough. Besides that, the room serve its purpose, we had quite peaceful nights, they guy at the office was very kind to lend me an adapter for our electronics. I recommend this place for traveling with friend (I went there with my Mom, she is 56 and probably a hotel could have been better) I don't recommend taking kids, or going as a couple since you can hear everything no matter where you are. Since it is a shared bathroom, we could hear EVERYTHING they where doing in the bathroom from our room which was the last one on the hallway. The location was perfect, it was only about 10-15 minute walk to the coliseum.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carla U
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Art in accommodation has had some negative reviews and in part I do understand some of the critisisms. However, I'd like to give you a budget traveller's opinion.

There is no reception as such, only a room down the corridor and it isn't manned 24/7, that is why they ask guests to call or e-mail them of their approximate time of arrival so that there will be someone to check the guests in. During our stay we heard guests buzzing the doorbell and phoning the (empty) office, on hours on end. One unfortunate guest had arrived at the front door at 7am only to be let in at 9am by the lady doing the cleaning! So PLEASE contact them before you arrive!

The room was spacious, had two single beds chained together, a large wardrobe, table, chair, mirror, two nightstands, a ceiling fan as well as a table fan, which were both very much in need during our 8 nights of 30degrees C. We had two windows as well, so could have both of them open through the nights.
Fortunately the area was mainly residential so we were only disturbed on a couple of nights when the bin truck decided to stop by at 2:15am :O

Actually the worst noises came from the corridor and the doors of the other rooms and especially the shower/toilets. The corridor is of stone and the locks of the doors very noisy, quite jammed at times until you get the knack of using them (and during our 8 night stay I think we mastered this on night 5, but dear fellow guests, sorry for the noise all the same :D)

There are 2 shower/toilet rooms for the 5 rooms within the corridor, so really no need to queue for long. Both showers were powerful, there was liquid soap and toilet tissue provided. And yes, the "infamous cracked toilet seat" is still there, but we managed to use the loo without much physical or emotional damages done to us :D It really is just a cosmetic hic-up.

The breafast ticket system is still a bit of a mystery. I guess there are only a specified number of tickets availabe, so on two mornings we had to skip breakfast, once becuse we had to catch an early train and really couldn't even wait for the five minutes that it would have taken for them to get the tickets from the cafe.
The breakfast is served in a cafe called Ponzi's a couple blocks towards Termini station and it consists of a cappuccino and a sweet bun and when I say sweet I mean SWEET. They simply don't serve savory croissants at all and having a bun filled with custard for breakfast is quite a challenge!

So, in summary,
Location - 10-15 minutes to Colosseo, 5-7 to Termini station, 2 to the nearest metro station. The street itself mainly residential and reasonably quiet, several good restaurants nearby, we particularily like the local Indian Krishna 13 and Il Secchio nearer Termini.

Staff - very friendly, especially Paolo the patrone, but again, PLEASE try your best to inform them of your time of arrival, you really DON'T want to spend hours on end pressing the doorbell downstairs.

Rooms - spacious, had a fan and two windows, good mattresses, kept spotless although the beds were not made or the towels changed but I'm sure you could get new ones if you manage to catch anyone at the office. Also - and it feels silly that I even have to mention this - don't go there expecting Claridge's standards, the paint in the windowsills is flaking and the hinges of the windows are a bit rusty and the views from the toilet windows are of the next door neighbours laundry lines. That is why you only have to pay so few euros.

Sleep quality - as expected in a Roman residential area. Hope you won't have any party animals as fellow guests because the corridor can be VERY noisy.

One last thing, the wireless connection is very strong and fast, one of the only criteria my husband ever has when choosing a place to stay. And a guarantee for me get one more wink of sleep in the mornings :D
We would stay at the A i A again, for the price and the location. Thank you, Paolo!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Signe_7
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you want to visit Rome, you have to book here. The rooms are clean (just completely renovated) en big enough for a stay in Rome. The location is superbe: the Colosseum is about a 10min walk and the metro is a one minute walk. The owners are most friendly and you can ask them anything (like a great restaurant in the neighbourhoud).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com