“Worst hotel ever”

Art in Accommodation
Ranked #860 of 1,164 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I booked this hotel for my first trip to Rome and felt that it would be ok due to the mixed reviews. I should have paid more attention to the bad reviews because they were true. I had to call the hotel several times before getting someone on the phone to alert them to my arrival which is what they ask you to do after booking. I then found the address listed and buzzed to be let in but, much to my surprise, the woman came down because the rooms weren't actually in that building but in another one on a different block. The room was clean but the bed was uncomfortable and it was hot. The room had a ceiling fan but it would take a giant to reach it. And it's sandwiched in between two bars so not a very safe place to stay if traveling alone. The toilet seat is still broken as is the shower door and drain. I ended up finding a different hotel and just losing the money I had paid for this one because otherwise, it would have ruined my whole experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank gnclanc

Reviewed September 11, 2011

I booked my room in a hurry when my flight home was cancelled due to a General Strike and paid the bill upfront. In the Expedia pages (in both the photos and the written description) it clearly indicated that the room had a television but there wasn't one. As I am learning Italian this was very important to me. Even though I spoke to the staff about this nothing was done to find me one. The toilet seat in one of the bathrooms is broken.This was referred to by another customer who wrote a review after staying there in May 2011. In September 2011 it is still broken. It would only cost about 20 euros to put right. Although this is a "No Smoking" B & B, the staff who come in the morning at 7am smoke constantly and the smoke fills the bedrooms. It is extremely unpleasant.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeanette L
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed here with my partner in April, my first ever visit to Rome. It ruined almost my whole hholiday... I am not a fussy traveller, I've slept in dodgy hotels, hostels, campings etc. but this one was the worst place I've ever stayed. I didn't expect much for the price we paid but I thought basic hygiene is default everywhere - how wrong was I! We had a 'double' room but in fact it was two single beds, which were constantly sliding apart. Which would have been fine if the mattress was not double! This left us waking up several times every night trying to put the beds together so we didn't fall to the hole between the beds. The sheets had some dodgy patches, there was loads of dust even after arriving, the room was not cleaned once throughout our stay and the rubbish was not taken out. As one of the reviewers mentioned here, everything is so cheap, looked like it will break any second.
What was even worse is the bathroom(s)... There supposed to be 2 bathrooms but one of them had a broken toilet seat so it couldn't be used and also there was no hot water, which meant all the people had to use the other bathroom - no comment. At least in the other one there was kind of hot water and a toilet seat (not that I wanted to sit on it) but that's it. In the shower the shower head holder was broken so we had to always hold it, the shower panels were yellow of scale (clearly hadn't been cleaned for ages!!!). The toilet paper which supposed to last until the next day ran out every evening, so no toilet paper for the night or for the morning. The floor was always muddy and there was no soap. The bathroom was so awful we kept our visits there to the minimum, even after having shower we always felt dirty. And another addition: one evening about 11pm one of the staff put on 'Boys boys boys' from Sandra from the 90's and listened to it over and over and over again, while singing along!!!! I had to ask her to stop it, but geeez is it not common sense to keep music down late night especially if you work there? And one last thing: they ask you to pay upfront when arriving. Only if I had known what was awaiting, I would have never agreed to it. Anyways, the worst accommodation I've ever stayed, even considering the cheap price I would not recommend it to anyone. For just a little more you can get a decent place to stay and it wouldn't ruin your holiday.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank ujlnat
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We stayed there for 4 nights in a spaciuos double room - nice and comfortable with free WiFi access. The stuff was very nice and helped with everything needed. The hot water runs for 24 hours. They do not change the sheets every day, but it compensates other things for such a good price. Breakfast is in the other building, but you can have it any time during a day you want - juice (or cappucino) and croissant - is the best way to start your exploration of the city as the restaurant is located on the way to the city center. The only thing I didn't like is the smell of smoking - it they prohibit smoking in the building, I will definitely come back there again. Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OLHASI
Reviewed June 29, 2010

No hot water in the shower, bird nest on the top of our window. Really small room, bathroom are small too and dirty. Near of a lot of things, staff was not always there. The wifi was not really working in our room.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wasabiCanada
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Actually we are not made of sugar or too capricious as to the hostel rooms, but there are some annoying things in this hostel, that other travellers should be aware of:
1) Noone out of two women we met there spoke English or French or any other language but for Italian. The body language is not omnipotentious. In the evening there is simply noone there, so you must resolve all the problems - like that of the hot water - on your own.
2) As the previous reviewer wrote, noone cleans your room or takes out your rubbish or makes your bed during your stay. We had two nights only and that did not make a great problem, but it might be if you plan to stay longer.
3) Finally, everything is VERY cheap there and threatening to break in one or other minute - wardrobe, matterass (indeed, sliding), and all the bathroom equipment threatens to commit a suicide.
4) No kitchen, no refrigerator.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We stayed in AiA for 5 nights late April 2009. The place is run by a yound Roman, who was very nice and helpful. It's located within 15-20 minutes walking from the Termini train station and about 20 min walking to the Colosseo and surroundings. The guest house itself is located on the 7th floor of an apartment building, but it does have a lift/elevator. There are 5 rooms and 2 bathrooms. The rooms are big and fairly comfortable. The things we did not like were: 2 single beds were pushed together to make one bed, but they kept on sliding apart and just moving all over the place. The mattresses kept on moving off the bed too. It was very annoying. Secondly, we stayed in room 1 - right next to the "office". Every morning, the cleaning lady would come and start smoking - around 7AM!!! The cigarette smoke would seep under our door and stink up our room. After 2 mornings of walking up because I couldn't stand the smell of smoke anymore, I began putting a towel under the door - and it worked pretty good. On Venere and the like, this guesthouse says that its rooms are smoke-free...Also - she never came to empty our trash. Actually, this is the ONLY place we stayed that they did not come and clean our room/make our bed. We were in Rome from Saturday-Thursday and our bed was never made and trash was not emptied ONCE! Needless to say it was spilling over when we left Thrusday to come home. The bathrooms seemed clean - but the shower water pressure sucked and there was never enough hot water.
The best thing about the hotel is its proximity to the train station, Metro tration and the Colosseo. The area around the hotel is seedy and full of questionable characters (riff raff as my husband called them). But I felt safe with my hubby, and we never had a problem. Oh also, breakfast was included, but we had to go to a cafe about 5-7 minutes away for a brioche (croissant) and coffee/juice. Overall, it was a great value, but not sure if I would stay here again. But if you're on a budget like we were, you'll make it work.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple