“Confusing atmosphere. Bad food.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Merulana Cafe

Merulana Cafe
Ranked #1,475 of 12,043 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Monti
Description: Always Open,Day and night
Kamloops
“Confusing atmosphere. Bad food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stumbled on this place during a rainy cold evening somewhat desperate for eats. It was quite busy inside so we decided to give it a try. The decor seemed a bit Irish pub-like, a few of the female servers were dressed in pseudo fräulein outfits and the menu was straight up Italian. It all felt a bit cheesy. We ordered a couple of appetizers from the 'fried' menu - rice with tomato sauce and mozzarella and potato croquet. Both were dry and unseasoned. We then ordered a large salad to share and my spouse ordered sliced steak with honey and balsamic vinegar and I ordered the tenderloin with red wine sauce. Both dishes arrived well cooked (rare/medium-rare), but were woefully underseasoned. My spouses dish had no hint of honey - not sure what happened there. My dish was very bland. The red wine sauce was tasteless. I wasn't even sure that the cut of meat that I got was even tenderloin. It was certainly very tender, but wasn't shaped like any tenderloin that I've eaten before. I got the impression that it was pounded or punctured severely in order to get it to the desired chewiness. Kinda weird altogether. Salad was weak and we only ate half of it. Recommendation - Avoid.

• Visited September 2012

• Turkish first
Windsor, Canada
“Disappointing experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

My children and I ate here because it was close to the hotel St. John. The food was bland and uninspired. It was not overly expensive but I would rather pay extra and enjoy the meal

Visited August 2012
Los Osos, California
“Decent atmospher”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The inside of this place was very "American" feeling. I don't know if that is good or bad....ha ha. We had a couple sandwiches that were pretty decent....nice atmosphere except for the sceaming child that this Italian family wouldn't "control." That was my only complaint.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wayzata, Minnesota
“reasonably priced, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I really enjoyed this place! Good food for the price, full of locals, and open late! We had wine, pasta, and dessert at 1am for dinner because we arrived late. It was a great way to start our stay.

• Visited May 2012
Newport Beach, California
“Rubbish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I ordered a steak which was acceptable but my fiancé ordered the pork liver which was burned to a crisp. When we commented on it they first tried to tell us it has to be done like take, it was black! They then reluctantly agreed to change it. It must have offended the chef because when it came to the table this time it was basically raw, it can't have been in the pan for more then a couple of seconds. So from one extreme to the other! We asked for the bill pointing out that the liver again was not fit for consumption, they offered to change it for something else but by that time had no faith anymore so declined. We paid the bill, including the liver, and left without an apology from them. Rant over.

• Visited June 2012