“A pleasant break from "breathing-into-your-neighbors'-necks" tables of Roman restaurant :-)”
Review of Vecchia Locanda

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Rome, Italy
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was to Vecchia Locanda twice - both times this summer. Unlike many places, where one visit may drastically differ from another, my both experiences in this restaurant left only the best memories. I must mention, we were coming with our friends, who are from Rome and are regulars at Vecchia Locanda, which made us the center of attention of the friendly owners of the place. However, this time I was watching them with other customers and they were equally nice and smiley to everybody.

We stayed outside, as the summer weather in Rome was perfect for that. Inside there isn't much space anyway and most people stay in the fresh air. The tables aren't cramped a couples of inches from each other unlike any typical Roman place, which was a pleasant surprise after numerous experiences in the center of painstaking efforts to hear your mate instead of the other couple sitting so close that you involuntarily become an overhearer of their intimate confessions :-) Being situated perfectly in the historical center, the owners however choose not to put as many tables as possible to get more profit at the expense of the customers' comfort. Cheers to that!

White wines both times were good and reasonable priced. I had prosciutto e mozzarella di bufala as an appetizer, which was very pleasant. You will say that it's impossible to spoil such an appetizer as there is nothing they have to cook in it, just serve. However, the previous experience in Mimi e Coco showed that mozzarella can be not very fresh, as it lacked the usual soft texture of mozzarella di bufala.

Then following the advice of a friend I ordered scaloppine di vitello. Lovely! My friends were also happy with their orders.

Besides great food, good wines, reasonable prices, specious seating, central location, you get those nice cordial owners, who are very helpful to make the evening at Vecchia Locanda an unforgettable experience.

Deeply Italian but not annoyingly typical; central but not noisy; yummy but affordable - a hidden gem of Roma!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank DevochkaDa

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
“Hard pasta....”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Very disappointing expected a lot having read the reviews, first of all the menu is very confusing and all over the place your not sure if your ordering a starter or main course, when we got our "main course" both our pasta dishes the pasta was hard and chewy to say the least much better spots nearby never again

1 Thank ifnotherethere
Canada
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had an excellent dinner here in August. Cozy non tourist trap location, good outdoor seating, and fine meals all around. The cost was also quite reasonable. I rarely find restaurants I'd make an effort to return too; but this is one of them.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Praxus
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely location - keep dreaming of the pasta dish”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The translation in the menu - something like "trofie pasta with bacon fat and wild mushrooms" might have deterred less piggish diners (or those less wild about wild mushrooms) than I. But, that bacon fat, oh my... My husband had the trofie pasta with black truffle and brie, and despite the fact that he said it was astonishingly good, he has been forced to admit that my bacon fat extavaganza won.
Secondi were almost as good as primi. Not to say they weren't great, just that the primi were unbelievably great. I had the beef with gorgonzola and radicchio (lovely bitterness of the leaves cutting through the rich cheese) and my husband had the seabass with wild mushrooms, which was perfectly cooked, served off the bone, and beautifully complimented by the mushrooms. We chose a pinot grigio for €16 which was lovely, but we later had a glass of the house frascati which was also very fine.
The location of this place is wonderful. Tucked away, lovely to eat outside on a summer evening, with walls covered in bouganvillea, and tables set out on a quiet alley.
In fact it is so good, that having visited last night, we are breaking a cardinal rule, and going again tonight. Hope it lives up to expectations, but looking forward to trying the bean and clam soup, if I don't buckle and give in to the lure of bacon fat again!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Emma R
Los Angeles
“Great dinner”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Family friendly, good food, great service. A good experience all around in a great neighborhood.

• Visited June 2012