La Papessa
$356
$278
Capo d'Africa
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Nord Nuova Roma(Rome)(Great Value!)
$192
$1,098
$1,402
$770
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvia del corsotrevi fountainb bperfect locationsmall liftguest house isheart of romespanish stepsevery major attractionthird floorwithin walking distancewould definitely stay here againgreat hostsfontana di treviboiled eggsfresh pastriesstreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Based on the many reviews I read, I expected much better. There was nothing really wrong with La Papessa if it had been a 1 star for 100 euro. The three person room was a double and a cot that was barely big enough for an adult. The breakfast room was tiny and sweltering. We stayed at Tre Moschettieri at the end of our trip which is in the same building as La Papessa, but it was a lot nicer for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2013
CATERINA P, Direttore vendite at La Papessa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Nyellen2,

We accept your comment but there is nothing that we can do to make bigger our breakfast room.
in our web page and also in many reviews (that you also read), it is written that we are a small but cozy location, we're not an hotel.
Our guests can have their breakfast in the room without extra charge but mostly of them prefer to enjoy our breakfast room since it allowes easily to socialize and exchage experiences and informations about the city. It is very nice to see how often friendships are born in our breakfast room and it is our goal: to let the guests feel like at home and in a family.
We assigned you a room with high decorated ceilings and antique furniture which is very peculiar and not present in othe locations. In your room there were a double bed and a single extra bed. It's not a cot (a cot is a cot!) but a comfortable bed (1,85 X 0,85) as in all the B&B of the same area included the one you mentioned specifically in the same building. We know it very well since we have managed that location for about 1 year ourselves.
The rate is based on the season and it is the same of mostly of B&B and 4 stars hotels of the area, since we provide much more comfortable rooms and bathrooms and facilities. For example we have professional free Wifi in the rooms and our breakfast is richer than others (you should have been able to compare yourself). Of course the earlier they book the cheaper is the rate
We take the opportunity to inform you that we have enlarged our location with a brand new B&B very close to Spanish Steps: TreviSpagna Charme B&B.

We wish you all the best,
Caterina and all the Staff

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed for there 2 nights. Booking and communication with staff was great. They replied promptly to all my questions and were always courteous. I had a late arrival (flight was 5 hours delayed) and Marcella stayed at the reception to welcome me. She helped me with my luggage.
I requested a quiet room and they gave me one. During my stay, I did not hear any noise from the street and slept with no problems (well guests next door came late one night and were a bit noisy).
-Breakfast was good, they had fresh fruit and yogurt and to drink water, coffee and juice. They also had hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, and toast. I was happy with my fresh fruit.
-Bathroom was small, it had a toilet, bidet, sink and a very small shower. I am 5.1 120 lbs and the shower was small for me. It was a nice Jacuzzi shower though.
-During my first morning, I inquired for directions to Spanish steps the owner and his wife, who were heading in that direction, were very nice and they personally walked with us.
-WI FI was a hit or miss, signal was not reliable and we did not had a signal for hours. A couple needed to book something and staff let them use their computer to book it. In the reception you will find a printout of the weather forecast for the day. You will find a laptop too.
- Upon check in, staff will give you a set of 2 keys, one for the mail door to the building and the second one for your bedroom. You will be given a code to use for the door keypad to enter the papessa reception area and rooms.
-La papessa is located between floors 2 and 3 of a centrally located building. You will enter building go up a flight of stairs to find the small elevator. You will head to 3rd floor get out of elevator and go down the steps (again) to the middle floor, turn left and you will see the papessa sign and door with keypad. If you go to 2nd floor, upon exiting elevator, turn left go up the stairs and see the papessa door on your left.

Things that they should be working on:
-Wi Fi needs to be more reliable.
-Improve safety by checking their furniture regularly and provide sturdy chairs and furniture. My husband sat on a wobbly chair and fell on floor hitting his back. Luckily nothing happened to him. Chair's top rail broke in two pieces. Staff (owner's wife) was informed immediately and she admitted that chairs were, and I quote, "old". They replaced the chair.
-Shower drain was blocked, water accumulated after each shower. Informed owner's wife and took her to the shower to observe. She said that next day handyman will fix it. 24 hours later, drain was still blocked and staff did not provide any updates.

Overall, I like the papessa, It is a 4 minute walk to Fontana di Trevi, 5 to Pantheon and 7 to Piazza Navonna. Located downtown. I will return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank teresa3000
CATERINA P, Proprietario at La Papessa, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Hello Teresa ,

thank you so much for your review and your kindness.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at La Papessa and we were pleased to welcome you after such rich preliminary exchange of mails between us. We did our best in order to respond to all your requirements.
We also thank you for your suggestions, nevertheless I would like to point out some specifics related to your notes:
- we have a pubblic operator cellular wifi system complimented by highly professional wifi system of repeaters which amplify and guarantee best possible signal quality in each individual room. Unfortunatly such sofisticated system is sensitive to some virus and periodically we have to reset and restart the system. This normally happens once every six months statistically and very unluckily that happened during your stay. The day after, as you know, we fixed promptly the problem.
- We deliberately decided to forniture every room with antique '800 tales furnitures which create style, elegance and remind to the past. Clearly such antique furniture which is very expensive is more delicate compared to modern/plastic for example. Such chairs are used by averagely 2000 customers per year and I can assure you this has never happened before, despite we are aware that such events can happen and we are very sorry it happened to your husband. I hope you appreciated anyhow we promptly replaced the broken chair and of course we charged nothing to you
- Regarding the problem in the shower drain, I immediately called the handyman and he promised me he would have come the morning after but he didn't show up. He justified it as he had a sudden personal issue. Then we tried to fix the shower by ourselves but we were unsuccesfull !!

We thank you for your understanding and we strongly hope you will visit us again.
We were pleased to talk to you during our walk to Spanish Steps.

Caterina, Marcella and Massimo

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were in their new hotel down the street from the La Papessa and it was right off the Corso so we could walk to many of the sites one would want to visit in Rome. It was a good value compared to other hotels in the area. The management could not have been more helpful, even supplying our specialty needs for breakfast. My communication with the hotel before arriving was prompt & most helpful. Having a small frig allowed us to have cold water & some snacks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Hello!

Thanks a lot for your review on our new rooms. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Rome and at La Papessa and we really hope to meet you again in a next future.

Caterina and La Papessa Staff

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This guest house is an ideal choice not only because of the location (center of Rome), but also because of all the features: beautiful rooms, large and clean, spacious bathrooms. The staff is great, very friendly, always willing to help, they gave us many useful tips regarding places to visit, how to get to them, good places to eat.
Due to the excellent location you can visit all of Rome on foot, without crowded means of transportation, it is located very close to all major points of Rome.
We had breakfast included, very consistent, with everything you need: coffee, juice, milk, cereal, yogurt, etc..
So, from our perspective is the ideal place where you could stay in this beautiful capital.
It is a place where you feel like home. We will definitely return

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ionel Ciprian P

Hello Dears,

it was so nice to welcome you.
We're happy that you've enjoyed your trip in our city and that you felt like at home in our location.
This is precisely our goal to accommodate people and make them feel at home, giving them all the informations and recommendations for a pleasant stay.

We hope to welcome you again (all the family:-)) and soon,

ciao,
Caterina and all the Staff

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've choose La Papessa over its good ratings and now I'm adding a good review because they're deserving it to the last letter. As the name says, it's a guest house; they provide you a nice, big, well decorated and clean room with a bathroom. Continental breakfast also included in the room price. Location is great; It's close to almost every major attraction point in Rome; Fontana di Trevi, Duomo, Spagna, Piazza Navona etc.

After those nice things some other and more personal thoughts:
I've stayed in hostels, motels, hotels and guest houses... I've stayed, paid the price of services and left the places mostly with nice impressions, of course I've also had nasty experiences but my acommodation experience in La Papessa had a different taste; I've actually felt like I'm staying in one of my friends' house in Rome and as a family, they're trying to make my trip a wonderful experience because I'm an actual guest and it's the normal thing for them to do. Whether it's a youth hostel or a five star hotel; If your customers unintentionally refer your place as "home" and talk like "I'm really tired, let's go home" to each other after an exhausting day, that means you're making your job right and good. La Papessa is exactly one of that places.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Salih,

thank you very much for your review. We all are glad that you enjoyed your stay at La Papessa and that you felt like at home, it is what we would be for our guests: a friend's home !

You're very kind and we all hope to welcome you again..when you come back to your "friend's home" :-)

Take care
Ciao,
Caterina and all the staff