“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #106 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed for there 2 nights. Booking and communication with staff was great. They replied promptly to all my questions and were always courteous. I had a late arrival (flight was 5 hours delayed) and Marcella stayed at the reception to welcome me. She helped me with my luggage.
I requested a quiet room and they gave me one. During my stay, I did not hear any noise from the street and slept with no problems (well guests next door came late one night and were a bit noisy).
-Breakfast was good, they had fresh fruit and yogurt and to drink water, coffee and juice. They also had hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, and toast. I was happy with my fresh fruit.
-Bathroom was small, it had a toilet, bidet, sink and a very small shower. I am 5.1 120 lbs and the shower was small for me. It was a nice Jacuzzi shower though.
-During my first morning, I inquired for directions to Spanish steps the owner and his wife, who were heading in that direction, were very nice and they personally walked with us.
-WI FI was a hit or miss, signal was not reliable and we did not had a signal for hours. A couple needed to book something and staff let them use their computer to book it. In the reception you will find a printout of the weather forecast for the day. You will find a laptop too.
- Upon check in, staff will give you a set of 2 keys, one for the mail door to the building and the second one for your bedroom. You will be given a code to use for the door keypad to enter the papessa reception area and rooms.
-La papessa is located between floors 2 and 3 of a centrally located building. You will enter building go up a flight of stairs to find the small elevator. You will head to 3rd floor get out of elevator and go down the steps (again) to the middle floor, turn left and you will see the papessa sign and door with keypad. If you go to 2nd floor, upon exiting elevator, turn left go up the stairs and see the papessa door on your left.

Things that they should be working on:
-Wi Fi needs to be more reliable.
-Improve safety by checking their furniture regularly and provide sturdy chairs and furniture. My husband sat on a wobbly chair and fell on floor hitting his back. Luckily nothing happened to him. Chair's top rail broke in two pieces. Staff (owner's wife) was informed immediately and she admitted that chairs were, and I quote, "old". They replaced the chair.
-Shower drain was blocked, water accumulated after each shower. Informed owner's wife and took her to the shower to observe. She said that next day handyman will fix it. 24 hours later, drain was still blocked and staff did not provide any updates.

Overall, I like the papessa, It is a 4 minute walk to Fontana di Trevi, 5 to Pantheon and 7 to Piazza Navonna. Located downtown. I will return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teresa3000
CATERINA P, Proprietario at La Papessa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Hello Teresa ,

thank you so much for your review and your kindness.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at La Papessa and we were pleased to welcome you after such rich preliminary exchange of mails between us. We did our best in order to respond to all your requirements.
We also thank you for your suggestions, nevertheless I would like to point out some specifics related to your notes:
- we have a pubblic operator cellular wifi system complimented by highly professional wifi system of repeaters which amplify and guarantee best possible signal quality in each individual room. Unfortunatly such sofisticated system is sensitive to some virus and periodically we have to reset and restart the system. This normally happens once every six months statistically and very unluckily that happened during your stay. The day after, as you know, we fixed promptly the problem.
- We deliberately decided to forniture every room with antique '800 tales furnitures which create style, elegance and remind to the past. Clearly such antique furniture which is very expensive is more delicate compared to modern/plastic for example. Such chairs are used by averagely 2000 customers per year and I can assure you this has never happened before, despite we are aware that such events can happen and we are very sorry it happened to your husband. I hope you appreciated anyhow we promptly replaced the broken chair and of course we charged nothing to you
- Regarding the problem in the shower drain, I immediately called the handyman and he promised me he would have come the morning after but he didn't show up. He justified it as he had a sudden personal issue. Then we tried to fix the shower by ourselves but we were unsuccesfull !!

We thank you for your understanding and we strongly hope you will visit us again.
We were pleased to talk to you during our walk to Spanish Steps.

Caterina, Marcella and Massimo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mesa, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were in their new hotel down the street from the La Papessa and it was right off the Corso so we could walk to many of the sites one would want to visit in Rome. It was a good value compared to other hotels in the area. The management could not have been more helpful, even supplying our specialty needs for breakfast. My communication with the hotel before arriving was prompt & most helpful. Having a small frig allowed us to have cold water & some snacks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello!

Thanks a lot for your review on our new rooms. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Rome and at La Papessa and we really hope to meet you again in a next future.

Caterina and La Papessa Staff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This guest house is an ideal choice not only because of the location (center of Rome), but also because of all the features: beautiful rooms, large and clean, spacious bathrooms. The staff is great, very friendly, always willing to help, they gave us many useful tips regarding places to visit, how to get to them, good places to eat.
Due to the excellent location you can visit all of Rome on foot, without crowded means of transportation, it is located very close to all major points of Rome.
We had breakfast included, very consistent, with everything you need: coffee, juice, milk, cereal, yogurt, etc..
So, from our perspective is the ideal place where you could stay in this beautiful capital.
It is a place where you feel like home. We will definitely return

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ionel Ciprian P
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello Dears,

it was so nice to welcome you.
We're happy that you've enjoyed your trip in our city and that you felt like at home in our location.
This is precisely our goal to accommodate people and make them feel at home, giving them all the informations and recommendations for a pleasant stay.

We hope to welcome you again (all the family:-)) and soon,

ciao,
Caterina and all the Staff
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've choose La Papessa over its good ratings and now I'm adding a good review because they're deserving it to the last letter. As the name says, it's a guest house; they provide you a nice, big, well decorated and clean room with a bathroom. Continental breakfast also included in the room price. Location is great; It's close to almost every major attraction point in Rome; Fontana di Trevi, Duomo, Spagna, Piazza Navona etc.

After those nice things some other and more personal thoughts:
I've stayed in hostels, motels, hotels and guest houses... I've stayed, paid the price of services and left the places mostly with nice impressions, of course I've also had nasty experiences but my acommodation experience in La Papessa had a different taste; I've actually felt like I'm staying in one of my friends' house in Rome and as a family, they're trying to make my trip a wonderful experience because I'm an actual guest and it's the normal thing for them to do. Whether it's a youth hostel or a five star hotel; If your customers unintentionally refer your place as "home" and talk like "I'm really tired, let's go home" to each other after an exhausting day, that means you're making your job right and good. La Papessa is exactly one of that places.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Salih,

thank you very much for your review. We all are glad that you enjoyed your stay at La Papessa and that you felt like at home, it is what we would be for our guests: a friend's home !

You're very kind and we all hope to welcome you again..when you come back to your "friend's home" :-)

Take care
Caterina and all the staff
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am so glad I took the chance on this little hotel. It was like having our own apartment in Rome! The location is perfect. 5-10 minute walk to everything and about a 30 minute walk to Vatican City. Yes, it can get a little noisy in the evening, but it totally dies down by 11, and you are on the main street in Rome. The staff is so sweet and will help you with anything. Our room was ready for check in at 9 a.m., so after a long flight a cappucino and a shower was so welcomed. The breakfast was perfect, meats, yogurt, cheese, nutella, etc. You get a lot of location for the price of the room. We were fortunate to be the first guests in one of their sister hotels down the street. It was equally as charming and had even more insulated windows. I would happily stay with them again if we ever get back to Rome!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello Dears,

we're really happy that you enjoyed your stay in our locations.

You both were also so sweet and we also were fortunate as you were the first guests in the new brand TreviSpagna Charme B&B.

We want our guests to feel like at home and of course a cappuccino (or something else) is our "welcome home".

You should come back !! To visit Rome again (it has thousands of years and a few days aren't enough to know it and) and to enjoy your roman apartment: La Papessa or TreviSpagna!!

All the best,
ciao,

Caterina
Drammen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

In short, I agree completely with all the nice descriptions by other guests: The modern and well equipped rooms, the friendly and efficient service etc.etc.etc.
Two small comments, though, which apply to many hotels in Rome: Rooms are very well insulated, but nothing can completely stop the sound of an Italian ambulance siren tthrough a narrow street at night. And you must be able to walk the stairs up to La Papessa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CATERINA P, Responsabile reception at La Papessa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dears,

thank you very much for your comment.

All of us were pleased to welcome you and we hope to meet you again for your next trip to Rome.

"Grazie" again from La Papessa Staff.
Vernon Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at La Papessa last week for a few days while on vacation in Rome. The hotel is perfectly located--almost all major attractions are within easy walking distance. The rooms are fine--nothing extravagant, but clean and big enough and a great value for the price. The staff is extremely kind and helpful. We couldn't have been happier about the stay. If you are looking for a hotel with the perfect location and a great price--I highly recommend La Papessa.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EARPAT
CATERINA P, HOTEL MANAGER at La Papessa, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Hello Dears,

thank you for your review. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay at La Papessa and we hope to welcome you again.

Grazie and Arrivederci,