“Great breakfast and ice cream!”
Review of Settembrini

Settembrini
Ranked #8,829 of 13,067 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a bar where you can also enjoy very nice food. Very good atmosphere, classy and relaxed. In the morning the 'cornetti' are very nice! In the summer the ice cream is great. Then you can enjoy here a nice aperative or dinner in a very nice residential area in Rome.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had dinner here and thought this was the best meal I had in Rome. The food was bright and rich at the same time! Each bite provoked so many wonderful notes on my palate. This is definitely not traditional food, so please don't go here if that is what you are looking for. They had a good sized wine menu. The service was excellent as well.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had returned to Rome for one night after a week in cooking school in Chiaveretto, and a week in Florence. After reading about it in Elizabeth Minchilli's Eat Rome app, I chose Settembrini for dinner on our last night in Italy. With an eye on our early trip to the airport the next morning, I made a reservation for 8pm. Of course, we were the first diners in the room. And a very nice room it is. Simple, with large canning jars along a ledge, filled with dried goods and an occasional lamp, and a wall of wines behind the bar. We ordered the tasting menu, the one where you don't know what you are getting, as the chef chooses each course. There was no printed menu, so my words will come from our servers' verbal descriptions. Our server apologized that the sommelier would be a bit late, as she generously kept our glasses full of prosecco. When the sommelier arrived, we let him choose our wines for each course.

Dinner started with a shot glass of fresh tomato juice with a light float of olive oil, accompanied by Tuscan bread.
Our first plate - eggplant puree, zucchini cream, and squid. The eggplant might have been smoked, as I detected that faint aroma. Artistically plated and delicious.
The second plate - the raw fish course, contained three items. The first, the server translated as "little tuna," which was a small piece of very tender tuna accompanied by jellies of an alcoholic nature. The second was a swirl of udon with a prawn atop. The third was a pyramid of sea bass sashimi atop chopped pineapple. This was a beautiful plate, with compelling flavors.
The third plate - red mullet on green seaweed, roasted tomatoes, and sea urchin, with mullet salt. Never quite figured out what was meant by mullet salt. But it definitely worked.
The fourth plate - minestrone with chickpeas and red prawns. A comforting soup taken to the next level.
The fifth plate - sea bass, burrata, and roasted tomatoes. A surprising and tasty combination.
The sixth plate - duck breast with pomegranate jelly and salad. Well, I'm getting a bit weary of saying beautiful and delicious, but there you have it.
The seventh plate - green apple raviolo with vanilla cream and green apple marmellata. Lovely. With a hint of lemon.
And the little finish of a shot glass with chocolate cream, and Tuscan bread seemed to bring the meal full circle.

I know a lot of the menu sounds pretty fusion, and I guess it was, but it also seemed very Italian.
Our bill for two was 210 Euros. We had a different, wonderful, wine with each course, knowledgeably chosen and described by the sommelier. All of the dishes were lovingly plated, and we marveled at each and every bite of the meal. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank wandering-nightshade
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Read about the reviews here so gave it a try. We ordered the 5course tasting menu for two. Somehow that night, many dishes were ravioli, of all sizes. Small tomato ravioli with octopus slices for appetizer, bigish potato ravioli for third course, and fried apple ravioli with pistachio ice cream for dessert. But all was good.

The highlight was the Kobe beef slices, part raw part cooked, with anchovies and salad. The seafood tanginess really brought out the richness of the marble beef. The main course of beef tenderloin was nicely charred on the outside and safely cooked on the inside. The service staff did not ask how we'd like the steak cooked. The overall service was let down by language difference, the staff kinda gave up introducing the dishes after a while, perhaps because of vocabulary difficulties.

Overall, highly recommended!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I accidentally ended up dining here tonight (we were looking for a nearby restaurant) and were extremely pleased. It was late (past 10), so we were a bit worried about being seated, but had no problems. We were sat outdoors amidst lovely decor of candelabras and greenery. While it took a while for the menus to appear, once they did, they were in English and had a great selection of mostly seafood dishes. We ordered a starter to share, a pasta dish to share, and an entree each. I asked for a wine by the glass, and after asking me a few questions about my preferences, our server provided an excellent (and heavy pour) of something nothing short of perfect. After ordering, another server came by and poured us complimentary glasses of champagne (perhaps because we waited without menus for so long). Nice touch.
We were also given a complimentary amuse bouche. Yum. As stated by others, the portions are small, but beautifully plated, and masterfully executed. The cuttlefish ravioli is to die for, as is the pork cheek. Everything we had was excellent. Our bill, including two bottles of water, a glass of wine, a glass of beer, a small plate, a pasta, and two entrees, came out to 90 euro, which I think is an excellent deal for the quality. We're considering returning for one of the chef's tasting menus.