“Great time!!”
Review of Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
Ranked #106 of 12,271 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Description: On the romantic corner of Via di Ripetta, at the heart of the Eternal City, Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome is the ideal place to enjoy pleasant moments of relaxation complemented by the traditional tastes and ancient aromas of Roman and Mediterranean cuisine. An intimate dining destination for all seasons, you can expect a warm greeting at Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome before taking your seat to enjoy high quality cuisine, skilfully prepared with the freshest fish, meat and seasonal game. Truffle all the year with a dedicated menu. Chef Marco Casentini insists on taking no shortcuts with the quality of his ingredients, and the chef's passion for the light cuisine he prepares makes him confident that each dish is worth the wait. Ad Hoc restaurant is also proud of its wine cellar. Compiled from continuous and careful research into the best labels, the wine list showcases 800 wines .
Truro, England, United Kingdom
“Great time!!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i visited the resturant during our short break in Rome and loved the whole experience. The service was excellent and the staff very knowledgable, with both the food and wine. We opted for the taster menu (Roman and Land) and loved every one of the 7 courses with the matching wines. My wife even described her tirimasu as "like clouds in her mouth". We were even given a bottle a bubbly to take with us at the end of the meal. The whole experience is totally worth the price.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bellevue, Washington
“This was a highlight off a trip full of highlights. (also great Vino Paring)”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We did a lot of research on places to eat before our trip, so we went in with high expectations. It exceeded them.
The first thing you'll notice when you walk in the massive selection of wine. The restaurant is essentially a room temperate wine cellar filled with the who's who of Italian wines from all regions. You name the high end maker, and its there. This only upped my expectations.
The second thing you'll notice is how attractive, well dressed and attentive the service is. They were all excellent, subtle and extremely adroit, accommodating all our requests through out the meal with a genuine smile and excellent attitude.
I ordered the white truffle tasting menu with wine pairing and my wife ordered ala carte. We asked if they could do a pairing for her random meal as well and they happily obliged with no pushback.
The truffle meal was lavishly but not overly seasoned with lovely truffles. Some of the dishes approached the best dish I've ever had which was a white truffle dish at French Laundry (an add on which cost as much as my entire meal Ad Hoc :-) The steak really stood out as perfectly seasoned and prepared (and I sous vide at home). There wasn't a single dish that disappointed. The pairings were excellent and clearly not an afterthought or cash cow as they are at far to many high-end and very high-end restaurants.
My wife meal was also exceptional. She doesn't eat red meat and this was not problem as each dish was excellent. Also the adhoc pairing the did (see what I did there?) was really well done. When I got up to go to the bathroom I overheard the servers "arguing" (the standard mode of conversation in Italy :-) passionately on what to pair my wife's pairing for a specific dish should be. This was something they were taking seriously, and it showed in the quality of match and was indicative of the overall experience.
One more note indicative of the experience, 5 days later I returned to purchase some of the olive oil they used (Saxula). When I entered our previous waitress clearly recognized me and greeted me with a smile and ask how I had been doing. She eagerly helped me with the olive oil and while I was waiting another server came over who had been to the table and also recognized me. Finally a waitress who hadn't even waited on us came over and said "I remember you!" with a big genuine smile. We were already in love with this place based on the meal and service from our original visit, and this was just one more ultra positive experience that cemented it. Overall our favorite meal of a trip full of exceptional meals.

Buena Vista, Colorado
“Truffle time!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

6 words...truffle menu, truffle menu, truffle menu. Simply delicious times! Noted that is was our honeymoon when making our reservation. They had a private booth in the back for us and also gave us a bottle of champagne to take home after our meal. Definitely worth the money.

Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hugely disappointing”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had very high expectations for this restaurant. It was to be our highlight meal in Rome. I do rate it average. Considering the price to eat here we just expected to be blown away.

Pros:
1) Very attentive wait staff.
2) Great ambiance.
3) Excellent wine selection.
4) Beautiful food presentation.

Cons: TASTE! (which I think is the most important).

My husband got the sea tasting menu and I got the truffle tasting menu as I was told by the server that this was their specialty and truffles season had just started. I added a wine pairing to my order.

Sea tasting menu: the different kinds of fish served tasted like they were just thawed. All dishes tasted very bland. Lobster in one of the dishes was well cooked.

Truffle tasting menu: I expected the truffle to be incorporated in different ways. What they do is just shave the truffle over pasta, meat, etc....What happens is that every dish tastes exactly the same. The idea of a tasting menu is to get a sample of different tastes and textures which I didn't get at all. I love truffle so this was a big letdown.

Desserts: Mediocre at best. Trio of crème brulee (classic, mint, poppyseed) were served in very shallow dishes that there was almost equal part of the crème and torched sugar so all you could taste was the sugar. Trio of tiramisu, apple something, and something else was forgettable.

We also noticed and this probably doesn't mean anything but I think is worth a mention that they seated all Asians in the back of the restaurant (total of 4 tables) and everyone seated with a view of the street was Caucasian.

We really wanted to love this place. It was unfortunately not one of our best gastronomic experiences. Our total bill was $230. Don't mind splurging on a good meal at all but in comparison to our dining experiences in LA, this meal was worth only half that.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere and great food”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Went here on our last night in Rome, it was an excellent way to end the holiday. A small resturant with a fantastic display of the variety of wines and a great atmosphere. We had the land tasting menu which was superb with lots of different tastes that complimented each other-we received free bottles of sparkling wine at the end!
Service was excellent every need was catered to and I would recommend it to anyone going to Rome.

• Visited October 2013

Been to Ad Hoc? Share your experiences!