“Nice food, good service but bit of a wait in between courses” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
Ranked #118 of 12,043 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Description: On the romantic corner of Via di Ripetta, at the heart of the Eternal City, Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome is the ideal place to enjoy pleasant moments of relaxation complemented by the traditional tastes and ancient aromas of Roman and Mediterranean cuisine. An intimate dining destination for all seasons, you can expect a warm greeting at Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome before taking your seat to enjoy high quality cuisine, skilfully prepared with the freshest fish, meat and seasonal game. Truffle all the year with a dedicated menu. Chef Marco Casentini insists on taking no shortcuts with the quality of his ingredients, and the chef's passion for the light cuisine he prepares makes him confident that each dish is worth the wait. Ad Hoc restaurant is also proud of its wine cellar. Compiled from continuous and careful research into the best labels, the wine list showcases 800 wines .
“Nice food, good service but bit of a wait in between courses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Main ossue is finding the place as the trip advisor arrow guide is wrong. Food great, wine lovely and they are very acccomodating but if conversation is a struggle with ur partner then there will be tumbleweed a plenty! If not then u will have a really nice evening. Recommended!! We went Oct 15th

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
“Would not go again. Buyer beware. Be informed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I hate to be a stick in the mud with this review, especially after all the glowing reviews for this restaurant,but here goes.
We were ending a one month trip to Italy, including a 12 day Celebrity Adriatic cruise, celebrating our 40th anniversary,
After reading all of the wonderful Tripadvisor reviews (which I use religiously) I made a reservation at Ad Hoc, before leaving home, to end our trip on, expecting an exceptional meal.

The good - the restaurant is beautifully decorated, wonderful ambience, good, pleasant service. Beautiful food presentation. The menu leans to tasting meals of either Fish, Meat, or Truffle (black or white), with or without wine parings. The tasting menu is a four course meal. The prices included water, cover and gratuities. If you book online as I did, you receive a 10% discount.

The not so good - the portions are very small (not typical Italian servings!), the prices are out of line. As it wasa very special occasion, my wife wanted to try the truffle tasting meal, with wine parings. She ordered the black truffle meal, but I insisted that she should get the white truffle meal, with wine. The white truffle meal, with wine parings was 190 euros, so not cheap. Their website says this is 145 Euros, so it is out of date. I found it hard to believe that the white truffle tasting menu was 70 euros more that the black truffle meal, Seemed very difficult to justify, but what the heck, this was a special occasion, By the way the only difference between these two truffle parings are the truffles, same food and wine. I had the meat tasting menu with wine parings. The first and second courses for both of our meals was good (but as I said earlier, small portions). Our third portion, main course, was a different story. First, I had changed the meat offering from their braised, well done offering to a requesting medium rare portion of beef from another meal. Both of our meals were served medium well, tough and unappetising. I called over our waitress who took our plates away to redo them She came back to inform us that we has been given someone else's meals in error? When I got my plate back the meat was now close to raw. I can not say I was impressed. Is it that hard to cook a two ounce piece of meat (I'm back to my small portions). My wife's meat had some truffle slivers on hers that could hardly be tasted, no truffle infusions. The wines served were acceptable, but not one of them was wonderful. The wine my wife got was a nice Montepeluciano region red, that costs 35 euros a bottle, therefore, not a higher end wine with a 190 euro tasting meal. Next dessert. Mine was a sizable bowl of Tiramisu. My wife's was a triplet of Tiramisu, Crème Brule and something else. The Tiramisu was virtually all whip cream with a piece of coffee soaked cake. Same for my wife's. The Crème Brule, had no Crème, just a hard brittle of sugar, similar to her third item. Not at all worth eating.
When we finished our meal, we were also given a bottle of Procesecco, which they told us was in honour of our 40th anniversary, which I would have felt was a wonderful gesture had it not been that every other table was also given a bottle.

In summary for 240 euros or $350 for dinner, it definitely was not worth it. In fairness, the meals there can be done for less. One last thing was the toilette. I could not believe that a "higher end" restaurant would have toilettes that I think McDonalds would be ashamed of. Not classy at all. This isn't an terrible place but should not be rated even close to #7 in Tripadvisor, in my opinion. That is what Tripadvisor is all about, our opinions.This was our experience, our feelings, so buyer beware and informed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
“Ad Hoc Should Be #1!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

My BFF made reservations @ Ad Hoc as a gift for my husband & my 25th anniversary & what a gift it was! The service is impeccable; friendly & attentive without being intrusive. The ambiance; delightful displays of wine bottles, hanging from the wall, arranged like books, some whimsy. And the food. Ahhh...if you have nothing else, you must have the 3 different types of carbonara (classic bacon/mushroom&honey/black truffle); or the spaghetti with lobster;or the saltimbocca; or the tuna with tomatoes & bread; or anything else on the menu! Without a doubt the best meal in Rome.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Fantastic fusion food in Rome and opportunity for fresh truffles!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I booked a reservation at this restaurant before arriving in Rome, and we mentioned in our email correspondence with the restaurant that it was our first wedding anniversary. We arrived at this lovely, wine cellar-like restaurant hungry and exhausted after walking around the city all day. We were warmly greeted by numerous wait staff, and provided the table we reserved by the window so we could watch people walking outside.

The menu was impressive, with so many gourmet traditional and fusion options to choose from. All of the different menu items had varying price points as well, so one could eat for 30 euro, or 120 euro, depending on his/her taste buds and/or budget.

The thing about this place is that they have entrees featuring fresh truffles. Truffles are a seasonal thing in this part of Italy, and late September is prime time to visit if you want to try some. All of the food was very thoughtfully prepared, and very visually pleasing when brought to the table.

Knowing it was our anniversary, at the completion of our meal, the wait staff brought us a wonderful homemade tiramisu on the house, and sent us back to our hotel with a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. As if that isn't enough, when we returned to the states, we received an email from the owner, personally thanking us for dining at his restaurant, and in the email a link to a collection of truffle recipes was provided. Amazing.

• Visited September 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“"Consistently good"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Picking up on our own Tripadvisor recommendation ( and many others) we returned to Ad-Hoc last week for a late dinner.
Food continues to be excellent. My wife's beef tartar was exceptional.My choice consisted of the calamari and the house ravioli with cheese... both excellent.
Service was attentive as ever. Staff helpful and knowledgeable, and the wine list as good as it gets catering for all tastes and budgets.
Centrally situated, relaxed atmosphere and all of the above and more make this a top choice for visitors and locals.