“Great dinner for the finaly night at Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
Ranked #119 of 12,134 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Description: On the romantic corner of Via di Ripetta, at the heart of the Eternal City, Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome is the ideal place to enjoy pleasant moments of relaxation complemented by the traditional tastes and ancient aromas of Roman and Mediterranean cuisine. An intimate dining destination for all seasons, you can expect a warm greeting at Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome before taking your seat to enjoy high quality cuisine, skilfully prepared with the freshest fish, meat and seasonal game. Truffle all the year with a dedicated menu. Chef Marco Casentini insists on taking no shortcuts with the quality of his ingredients, and the chef's passion for the light cuisine he prepares makes him confident that each dish is worth the wait. Ad Hoc restaurant is also proud of its wine cellar. Compiled from continuous and careful research into the best labels, the wine list showcases 800 wines .
san gabriel
“Great dinner for the finaly night at Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the perfect restaurant to hold our final dinner in Italy in our 1.5 week stay of the country. As well we were pleasantly surprised when we were given two champagnes as a gift (one for each girl in our party). Great food and great service! I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Don't understand the complainers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I ate here on 5th April - a special occasion for her birthday. We both had the Roman tasting menu and accompanying wine flight. We couldn't find fault with anything - the service, ambience and food were all excellent. Yes its a little expensive but you have to put that in the context of the central Rome location and we think the value was good for what we had. If I wanted to be really picky I might say that I would have preferred to choose my own wine but at c. 30 Euros for 2 people the wine flight we had was very good and great value. We would definitely go back.

new orleans, la
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Although very cozy and attractive, the food was disappointing and very over priced. I would not recommend it nor return.

1 Thank weedie50
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Waaaaay over rated - but do come here (only) for the wine!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The fact that this restaurant is rated as the best in Rome (after the gelatos) proves that the masses are not allways right...
As sometime I read other reviews and think "probably somebody that likes to go down on places with no idea of what good food is" I must stress out that I am very generous in my restaurant reviews, and I do have vast gastronomic expereince.
Having said that, I must say that the food here is very mediocre, and comparing to the price and pretensions - is really bad.
But good things first: The ambience is fantastic (dark, romatic, sophisticated & elegant) and the service is VERY good. Moreover, we had some fantastic wine (Ca'Viola Dolcetto d'Alba and Brancaia Tre) - probably of the best we ever had . And that's all the ggod things.
The food was between indefinite and bad.
We had a Millefoglie of potatoes and...something, which didn't look quite like a millefoglie but was probably the best dish of the dinner. A simple tomatoes pasta was indefinite and of a simple eatery level (it IS a simple dish, so at such a place it should be perfect) so we didn't finish it. My ravioli were OK, nothing to write home about. They had an umpleasant fatty feeling. Didin't finish also. And the worse dish was something special prepared for my vegetarian wife (Melanzana Parmigiana - not so special) which was really bad. We had some really good melanzana parmigianas in Italy, and it is a dish which is pretty hard to ruin, but this one was blunt with no taste at all. Also the weird amouse bouche (a small crecker with a green celery souce) was ...well... you got the picture.
If it was for the food only, I'd give them 1 or 2 points. But the wine, service and ambience were excellent, so I go for the generous 3.
And I have no idea how this place became the nr 1 restaurant in Rome in Tripadvisor. IT IS NOT.

P.S.: The toilets were not clean. You know what this may mean...

1 Thank Lord_Jade
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice restaurant but expensive and over rated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

+ good food
+ 10% off if you reserve a table on line
- very expensive for what you get, eg tiny apple struddle and small bit of ice cream which was almost melted €9.60
+ poor service, veg came out after we'd finished our meal (although we weren't charged the waitress was annoyed with us for not wanting to take the veg), it was booked for a birthday and they hadn't even bothered to check the name before coming out to sing happy birthday which was a little aqward, also they had said a piece of cake would be supplied but it was infavt the desert we d ordered.
They give you a tiny complementary piece of flavoured foam is all it can be described as when you come in and a cheap bottle of prosecco when you leave, everyone seems to think this is great but neither are nice and considering the cost of the restaurant it isn't much €4 tops. Had to ask for a basket if bread, most restaurants charge €1-2 but Ad Hoc charges €5. Food appears good overall, my partner loved hers, my steak wasn't great, expected much better.

Would recommend if it was cheaper I would not return.

1 Thank Ian C

Been to Ad Hoc? Share your experiences!