“Perfect Last Night in Rome”
Review of Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
Ranked #109 of 12,268 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Description: On the romantic corner of Via di Ripetta, at the heart of the Eternal City, Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome is the ideal place to enjoy pleasant moments of relaxation complemented by the traditional tastes and ancient aromas of Roman and Mediterranean cuisine. An intimate dining destination for all seasons, you can expect a warm greeting at Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome before taking your seat to enjoy high quality cuisine, skilfully prepared with the freshest fish, meat and seasonal game. Truffle all the year with a dedicated menu. Chef Marco Casentini insists on taking no shortcuts with the quality of his ingredients, and the chef's passion for the light cuisine he prepares makes him confident that each dish is worth the wait. Ad Hoc restaurant is also proud of its wine cellar. Compiled from continuous and careful research into the best labels, the wine list showcases 800 wines .
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect Last Night in Rome”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Before I talk about the fabulous experience we had in this restaurant I would mention two things. Firstly, the pin for the restaurant on TripAdvisor is wrong and the restaurant is not exactly where they have it marked. The easiest way to find the restaurant is to start at the Piazza Del Popolo and walk down the Via Di Ripetta and it's a few hundred yards down on the left hand side. We spent a long time trying to find it coming from the other direction and got very lost! The other thing is that it's essential to book in advance and to ensure you book for the correct number of people. The night we were there lots of people were turned away and one particular family had booked for 4 people but on the night there were 5 in their party and the restaurant were unable to take 5!

From the minute we arrived we loved everything about this restaurant. The staff were very welcoming without being over-bearing. We were shown to a lovely table near the window. We both decided to go for the sea tasting menu which was €79 per person with the matching wines. To start we were both given a glass of sparkling wine and a little plate of brie with salad and some bread sticks. I usually find it very difficult to get excited about bread sticks but these were delicious and the portions were just right as an appetiser.

For the starter we had sea bass carpaccio, smoked salmon with a home-made yoghurt (amazing) and lovely bread and then my favourite which was the baby squid served in a filo pastry basket with goats cheese and spinach. The wine to accompany this was a chardonnay. I thought the portion sizes were just right and the presentation was lovely! The waitresses were all very informative without being over the top!

The next course was pasta - one with baby squid and one with lobster. The lobster was my preferred option but both were nice. We were just conscious at this stage of not eating too much pasta and being too full up! The wine with this course was a lovely rosé.

The third course was a sea bass wrapped in courgettes and served with the most amazing tiny mushrooms which were incredibly tasty. I loved this until I tried the other fish dish which was so tasty. I had the waitress write down the name of the fish which is Amberjack and apparently found in the Mediterranean. We had never tried this fish before and it was really delicious. It was served with potato gratin and some spinach. This course had a sauvignon blanc served with it which was great!

Our desserts were three types of creme brulée. A cinnamon, a caramel and a poppy seed. Neither my boyfriend nor I are big dessert fans and neither of us particularly like creme brulée but these were just amazing - really light and we had to keep trying all of them to try to decide which one was our favourite. This course came with a dessert wine which was very sweet but a nice accompaniment.

After this I had another glass of the sauvignon as I had really enjoyed it and we also were served a plate of petits fours all of which were lovely!

Absolutely everything about our evening here was perfect and we loved every minute! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone as a real treat.

At the end when we were brought our bill I was very pleasantly surprised. We received a 10% discount for having booked online which I was not expecting and we were not charged any additional costs for water, the extra wine etc. The entire bill came to €148 which I considered incredible value for the evening we had experienced. And to round it all off we were given a nice bottle of sparkling wine to bring home. Thank you so much to Ad Hoc for the perfect last night in Rome!

1 Thank victoria_jamison

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
“Don´t really know what to say”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booked AdHoc for something special for city-break in Rome depending on all recent reviews on TripAdvisor. Staff and overall feeling + the winelist were totally what we were expecting but the main thing in this kind of a restaurant - food was not really worth of the price. If you are really looking for a bit better dining experience, don´t expect too much of this restaurant.

3 Thank TSHelsinki
Helsingborg, Sweden
“Over-hyped and undeserved reputation”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Overall, the exp was OK. But I would NOT recommend Ad Hoc. It's overpriced and the flood is sub-par. Surprised they are #1 in Rome.

Based on reviews, we booked a table for xmas dinner. The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was cosy. The wines were great. The food, however, left a lot to be desired. Having done tasting menus at some high-end spots in the past and enjoying the concept, we wanted to try an Italian version while in Italy.

We were 4 people. We ordered the Land, Sea and Roman tasting menus. The biggest problem Ad Hoc's tasting menus have is they are not actually tasting menus. The portions are much too big. Second, for some of the courses, 3 dishes are combined on one clumsy plate with no instruction on which order to eat them in or explanation on why they are paired up. Third, the food either lacked flavor or was too salty. The chef just couldn't seem to get it right. Not a single dish merrited anything above an "it's ok." Fourth, while the service was friendly the timing of dishes was not evenly paced and wine service was a smidge too slow.

3 Thank MelaniRS
Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best eating experience of our lives”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Came for my 40th birthday. The food was havenly the service was attentive and marvelous. Romantic atmosphere and great dishes that we haven't tried before. They made my special night- just perfect. Thank you very much Ad Hoc - and thank you Rome!

1 Thank T M
Rotterdam
“Ad Hoc, The Truffle restaurant”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is truffle heaven. This restaurant was the most expensive butr also the best of the restaurants we've visited. I think in Rome you will not find a bad restaurant easily but of all the good restaurants Ad Hoc was the best.

Visited December 2012

Been to Ad Hoc? Share your experiences!