“Great location, the rest is a slight let-down”
Review of Trastevere Relais

Trastevere Relais
Ranked #2,661 of 3,645 Rome B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, the rest is a slight let-down”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I used to live in Rome, and know this area very well which is why I was so excited to book a room here - I wouldn't want to stay anywhere other than Trastevere, and this is pretty central Trastevere at a pretty reasonable price...
Unfortunately once I confirmed the booking I received a T&C document which kind of stunned me. No refunds were allowed under no conditions, and everything seemed to have an additional cost: late arrival, early arrival, internet, baggage deposit, late departure, etc. So be careful of this.
The photographs are accurate but the room - or, at least mine - was much smaller in reality than I thought it would be based on the photo. But it was just me, so it was fine. The room and furnishings were new and all in very good condition, but I can't possibly believe this is classified by someone as a 4-star place.
Caterina who runs it is really lovely. Unfortunately because I stayed over New Year's which was a holiday for everyone including staff, I didn't see her besides my arrival date. She knew this would be the case, and so I had to pay my room pretty much up-front, which was fine really. For the time she was there I found her to be very helpful, whether it was for a hotel restaurant or museum info.
There was no breakfast at all like depicted on her website. Instead we were given vouchers for a coffee, croissant and juice at the bar on the next street, which wasn't quite what I might've hoped for (the site gives a totally different impression).
I was there for New Years as I said, so my room wasn't cleaned over the holiday, but I guess I wasn't that surprised.
In the end as no one was around I left the keys on the reception desk and just left. Also, I think once again because no one was around, I was able to leave my bags for the afternoon at no charge...
Would I stay there again? Probably - after all it wasn't really that bad, the room and furnishings were new, the location is too good, and because I know Rome like my second home and I travel alone, it's fine. I just would make sure I would have no reason to be charged anything extra! But I wouldn't consider it ideal for anyone going on their first trip who wants to have that warm, welcoming feeling you get at some places.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank globetrotter1979

Meitar, Israel
Reviewed June 19, 2010

1. We were charge extra 50EU for so called "late arrival" . No one advised us of this charge.
2. There was a problem with hot water and we had to shower with cold water some of the times.
3. Breakfast was served not within the building but in asmall coffee house, not continental but just some joghurt , a croissant and coffee that was always not hot enough.
4. We were moved from room to room: at the beginning we've recevied a room for 4 persons(!) and by the end of our stay we had a room so small that we had to put our luggage under the bed, simply for lack of space.
5. We went for a few days to Florence and were given a key to our room so we can use it upon return. And here the surprise - once we came back there were some other people staying in "our room".
NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank DoritM

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Perth Western Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Caterina's Bed & Breakfast is a comfortable and stylish B & B in a good location close to many of the historical sights of Rome. The initial impression when driving into Trastevere is daunting with graffiti on the shop fronts and the street may look unwelcoming. It seems to be typical of Rome. There is no visible sign on a door front, but ring the doorbell and Caterina will speak to you via the intercom. Whilst for most visitors the steps leading to the rooms looks old and unfriendly, you will be pleasantly surprised when the door of your room opens and all the comforts of home are there to greet you. A lovely bed, SKY TV - a fantastic shower cubicle complete with jets and sprays to play with. It's modern and crispy clean.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
Reviewed March 26, 2010

My first clue should have been the difficulty reserving 4 double rooms. I was told they were available, until the actual moment of booking , and then I was told 4 doubles were not available...I then had to book a quad...at the same price as 2 doubles....even though it was less space and less bathroom, The pricing made no sense but I booked it because I believed the website. Mistake.
8 of us stayed last week, the one quad room was as pictured but the 2 doubles we were booked into were on another floor in some women's apartment who rents our rooms. This was no B & B, or relais. There was no common space to congregate , as is mentioned on site. Breakfast is around the block in a coffee bar run by a guy who appears to want nothing to do with you, rude and unfriendly and quite frankly not very good pastries. The owner of the Relais, Catrine, was away for the weekend and left her business to an associate who spoke very little English which ordinarily would not be a problem except that Alice was not able to solve the problems with internet ( no access as stated on website) and I was told that I could have only 1 key for 4 people in a quad. She was very unhelpful and hostile when I insisted that I needed another key. In the end we had to leave our room unlocked, and work around her schedule one afternoon to be sure there was someone there to buzz us into the building. I could go on about how disappointed we all were but I won't . There are so many choices of places to stay in Rome. I would not stay here, although the neighborhood is fantastic, Catrina has much to learn about being in the hospitality business.

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank slo31260
iasi
Reviewed March 23, 2010

excelent position,nice rooms,good staff,very clean apartment! 10 for everything!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New York City
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Went for a romantic week in Rome to celebrate our anniversary. Really enjoyed the breakfast downstairs in a local typical bar/restaurant. Really loved the location Trastevere: authentic and not too touristic. Manager of the B&B was extremely helpful, available to us and very well organized. Goes the extra mile!

Landry & Sofia

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Great location and reasonable prices. Easy to reach all main sightseeings on foot.
Very helpful staff.