“Convenient, clean and comfortable!”

Mocenigo Vatican Suites
Ranked #519 of 3,621 Rome B&B and Inns
Wigan
“Convenient, clean and comfortable!”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed at Mocenigo Vatican Suites for 4 nights in the height of summer. The suites are located in an apartment building, which if you take the address with you, the local taxi drivers will find ok. On check in, the staff were friendly and helpful. We were a little shocked how small the rooms were but found this to be no problem. They are modern, well air conditioned, clean and had a fridge with free mineral water. The breakfast was served in the room, the 'Italian' breakfast was the best out of the two options for us as the 'English' choice was cold meats and cheese.
The location was fantastic. You literally walk out of the block and can see the Vatican. Plenty of places to eat but please avoid S.Anna (located just opposite the Vatican where the men in uniform are stood), they were a rip off and very sly. This is the only place we were ripped off.
Recommendations for food: Di Rienzo (outside the Pantheon).
Recommendations of places to visit: The Vatican (of course!)

As someone very fussy who reads far too many reviews before booking a hotel I would definately recommend the Mocenigo Vatican Suites as a superb base for sightseeing!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reviewerkerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed April 30, 2010

This hotel has an ideal location, very close to the vatican and subway. It's very cosy and very clean. It's more that you have the feeling of beeing part of the city rather than an impersonal hotel room. Moreover, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpfull. Before the trip already, we had to cancel our reservation because of the volcanic ash from iceland. They immediatelly proposed us a set of new dates that could potentially please us, without any additional charges eventhough the very short notice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to have a pleasant, quiet, cultural city trip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank irving_mereau
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I stayed at the Mocenigo Vatican Suites from June 14-18, 2009 on a last minute stay in Rome for leasure. The property is centrally located, clean, comfortable, reasonable in price, and the staff very helpful and friendly. I did not feel I was in a hotel; it was more a guest house. I will go back to this property in September, 2009. Thank you TripAdvisor for posting this property!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank queleponis
HK
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Staff were supportive, friendly and available around the clock - provided helpful hints and some insider knowledge to the city - our first trip to Rome. A perfect welcome, for an after hours check-in. Location is wonderful to get to the Metro or access other transport networks (10 Euro to Termini by cab) & near spitting distance to the steps of the Vatican Museum was ideal for that portion of the sightseeing. No place in Rome can position you close to "everything" but the Suites allowed us to maneuver quite easily to get to sites. We didn't spend a great deal of time in the room (not the point of the trip) but it was always a welcomed retreat after pounding the Roman pavement. Clean, comfortable, and fully equipped with bathroom amenities (including razor) was a perfect touch. Despite no in-house F&B, the partnership for guest breakfasts with neighbouring Candia Bar allowed us to feel "local" and had great staff and food - but maybe the future they will provide the same offer but served in the room. Many restaurants and grocery shops in the area also provided flexibility for dining out or eating in. Would further recommend Adami Restaurant on Viale Giulio Cesare (a few blocks from the hotel) for good food, friendly staff, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank expo9
Tucson, AZ, USA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We stayed here the night of 5/26/09. As others mentioned, the pictures originally shown on the website do not actually exist in this hotel at all. However, the pictures that have been updated since I booked our room in April are accurate. My husband and I visited Rome, Florence and Pisa while in Italy and I have to say that this hotel was by far the most pleasant of them all. The rooms are very nice and exceptionally clean, the bathroom/shower a decent size for European standards and the location is excellent. The rooms are small by American standards, but very large compared to the other hotels we stayed at in Italy. The free wifi internet access was definitely a plus, we were unable to find this anywhere else in Italy during our stay. As others also mentioned, the breakfast that is included is from a cafe down the street, and the walls are a bit thin where you can hear what's going on in the reception, but not enough to be bothersome to us. You are given a key to your room as well as the front entrance, so you can come and go as you please. Also, you are able to control your own air conditioning (and it's central air too), another bonus not found in many other affordable hotels in Italy. At the reception, Maurizio was very kind and helpful, and he spoke excellent English. He provided a map and gave us a lot of useful information about the area. They can arrange tickets/tours for you (though we had already done this in advance), and they also offer a shuttle service to/from both airports. Considering the cost of taxis there, if you prefer not to take the bus or the subway and reduce the amount of time you use on transportation, I would definitely recommend opting to use their shuttle service. We thought we could find a taxi to barter the price with, but were unsuccessful. We ended up taking a bus to the Termini, then the subway to a stop close to the hotel. This took quite a long time (though was much cheaper), and next time around I will certainly opt for their shuttle service instead, it's worth the cost. All in all, our experience at this hotel was fabulous and I will definitely stay here again the next time we visit Rome. Thank you Maurizio, for a great experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AZ_worldwide
Leiden
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Indeed the pictures on the website are way off - the rooms are nothing like the pictures on their website!!!! But now I'm here and they changed the pictures since I have arrived. It still gives a sense of misleading!!!!

They try to make up for their wrongdoings but why advertise what you don't (yet) deliver?

On their website still there are pictures of a breakfast tray - when I booked this hotel I loved the idea that breakfast would be served in the room. And there is plenty of staff - but: no breakfast. The idea was that you would go to a cafe (with a paper with on it a stamp of the hotel) and get your breakfast yourself - further down the street. When I asked about it they said: 'we had some problems with that service'. What kind of problems makes the entire service go away? I was disappointed and they arranged with the cafe that someone brings it over. It is not exactly the breakfast as advertised, but at least I can wear my pyjama.

It says on the site that every room has facilities to make your own coffee and thee, so I did not bring my own electric biglietti only to find that I have to go to the reception and ask for another cup of coffee.

The floor is stone all the way true the reception and the room. I can hear everything that is said and done by the reception. And I'm pretty sure it is vice versa - when I asked if he could hear me in my room, the guy at the reception said: 'No, I don't listen to that'. This hearing problem is really offsetting and I find myself either turning up my Ipod-speakers or opening the window to let the street noice take over, but of course desired is different.

All in all I think they really want to be that great hotel, but they portray that they already are that great hotel...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 12, 2009

As commented by another guest who stayed at this property, the pictures on the website are not their own rooms! I worked within the hotel industry for 10 years and not once have I turn up at a hotel to find out that the rooms that are advertised on their website are from 'other hotels' this is completely false advertisement, I spoke to the manager who I have to say dealt with my complaint very well, he explained that the pictures on the website are from other hotels and this is what they would like their future B&B to look like, although this is not stated on their website, I was outraged and with this was given a discount.
The manager checked up on us many times to see if everything was ok with our stay, as we had such a bad experience when we arrived.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, anyone who does not like a firm bed I do not recommend staying here.
I understand that they have only been open for a few months although the room did not have certain things like a mini fridge, glasses in the bathroom, irons and ironing boards, tea and coffee facilities, there are also not blankets or duvets on the bed - just a sheet and thin bedspread cover.
The housekeeper was lovely and her standards were very good.
The location is very close to the Vatican City - only about a 10min walk which is wonderful.
Breakfast is included although is provided in a cafe across the road, it includes a coffee, oj and a pastry - the cafe staff are very friendly.
Although we had a bad experience to begin with we enjoyed our stay and would stay again if I could get a rate from £85-£95 per night.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple