“dissapointed...”

Ranked #582 of 1,118 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Bratislava, Slovakia
“dissapointed...”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First impressions were great, especially after meeting the owner who happened to be very nice and helpful person. but... during our stay we had several problems. the place was dirty, nobody brushed the dust under the bed and on the floor. then there were so-called breakfast. first morning we had everything we needed, last morning - well, no words needed, you can see it yourself in the photos included to my review, the daily offer consisted of some yoghurts and milk. no fresh bread, no coffee in the coffee mashine left, no ham... as it is called "bed and breakfast", this is just not enough! wi-fi connection was often disrupted. bed too small even for my legs (and I am 160 cm tall!), you had to wait for hot water... All those things shouldn´t matter to travelers on budget and tbh, didn´t spoil our trip to Rome, which we really enjoy, but still... to pay 300 euros/4 nights and not feel comfortable?! all and all - beautiful yet unattended place

P.S. My main concern - me and my fiancee didn´t feel safe in the area near the Termini Station (although it is quite central, to be fair), which is rough especially after the sunset and full of strange looking people. I saw two men discreetly exchanging an envelope while we were walking down the street to our pension! stay away if you don´t want to risk getting robbed (or even worse)!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank filmulienka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Best thing about this place, is across the road from the train station. The area itself is rough and not one I would stay in again, didn't feel safe at night in the streets. Is close enough to walk to most things. Breakfast is self serve and we thought pretty average quality considering it is a B&B. We stayed here because our original booked hotel cancelled on us two weeks out from our arrival in Rome so we had to take what we could get. One thing that was annoying was that the wifi barely worked which made it hard for us to plan things to do/see. It's very noisy at night from the street below and train station. The manager of the place is very pleasant, hardly s her once we had checked in. We thought this place was overpriced, but then everything in Rome seems that way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RDU
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The level of customer service here was really incredible, nothing like the big chain hotels where they check you in and ignore you. Luana, our hostess, remembered us, took our calls at all hours, helped us when we got lost, and made a huge effort to understand both our English and our broken Italian. She recommended restaurants for us, and spent several minutes with a map of Rome helping me get oriented and providing basic instructions for how to get around. Our room was always beautifully cleaned every day while we were out, and the entire facility was spotless.

Our shower was hot and there was an in-room heating and air conditioning system that you could control yourself via remote, both of which we had a hard time getting at other Italian places. The WIFI was fast and reliable...WIFI is hard to get in Italy, and our stay at Principe was the ONLY time during our entire 2 week trip that we could count on having internet whenever we wanted it.

This is a very relaxed B&B...breakfast items are provided in the kitchen and you can serve yourself whenever you choose. Options include fresh fruit, toast, pastries, yogurt, granola, and other cereals. On our last day, Luana went and got doughnuts just for us Americans!

miss_g_2406 was right about the location being a little iffy for women traveling alone. This is the only reason I chose to give it 4 stars instead of 5. The B&B itself is an oasis of calm. It is SUPER close to Termini, and you can see the trains from your window, but the rooms themselves were silent once you closed the doors. We were worried that we would hear the trains, but we did not. Termini itself is a maze and it's actually faster to get off at the stop before Termini and walk about 2 blocks get to the B&B. (Luana will show you this little short cut when you arrive.) Because it is so close to Termini, it is very urban, and therefore a bit spooky after dark. Imagine if you stayed at a B&B outside Grand Central Station in NYC...really convenient for travel, not so great for a woman to walk the streets alone after dark. I was traveling with my boyfriend, and so did not mind it so much.

The value you get for your money when staying here is excellent. We were traveling on a budget, and it was one of the least expensive places to stay in Rome that was still recommended by DK Publishing's Guide to Italy. It felt like a little pocket of quiet in the big bustling city that is Rome, a home away from home. It was like having our own apartment in the city. I loved it, and we will return when we next travel to Italy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just a quick review to say if you're traveling alone then think twice before staying here unless you're used to Rome or know the area. I hadn't read any reviews or Rome travel guides before arriving and the trip was booked by work.

I arrived very late at night and really struggled to find the place as I was looking for a big hotel sign. Its actually a B & B with a tiny sign on the door. Its set in a block of individual apartments which means using a little lift to the 5th floor where the B & B is set.

To me it seemed a bit odd but when I saw it in daylight its quite sweet. The room was nice a clean with everything I needed but it is a B & B not a Hotel. There's no reception or anyone to ask if you have questions or problems etc.

The main issue i had was its actually not in a good area at all. I was very unlucky and had my phone and some cash stolen outside the hotel by a man who tried to lead me off of the main street. Luckily a customer from a local hotel stopped and helped me. I'm sure this is not a regular occurrence and I was very unlucky but it did happen.

I think if you're just looking for a place to stay for a night next to the station for ease of travelling then perfect. It is just minutes from Rome Termini. Anything more than that or as a base for exploring Rome then i think you could do a lot better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank miss_g_2406
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I booked this B&B for my husband and I as well as for our friends from the US. We booked two rooms with bathrooms. We arrived and left by train, so the location was great for that, even though it is not in the center of Rome. Luana, the manager/owner, was very helpful and assisted us with using the public transportation, getting us everywhere very easily.

The rooms were clean, spacious and air conditioned (a must in Rome during the summer). However, the ashtrays left on the balconies (the only place allowed to smoke) from previous guests hadn't been emptied in quite some time. Luckily, the rooms did not smell like cigarette smoke at all!

Breakfast was self serve and "self-clean", but it was fine. We found the B&B to be very good for the cost. Luana was great and very friendly. She made a huge effort to speak to our English speaking only friends. She also made great restaurant recommendations and even made the reservations. Those were the best meals we had in Rome. Thanks, Luana!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed here on very short notice after other arrangments fell through. We shared a clean, cool, comfortable, very reasonably priced room with one large bed and a daybed. Breakfast was self-serve, with espresso, fresh fruit and an assortment of breads, pastries, yogurt, etc.

Luana, the manager, saved me from my own stupidity after I mistakenly left a largish wad of cash in my nightstand. She saved it for me, returned every euro, and refused a reward. Thanks, Luana!

PS. This is not what most Americans think of as a B&B. It's a largish apartment that's been partitioned into separate rooms for tourist rentals (this seems to be a fairly common arrangment in Rome). Rather than the cozy/quaint ambiance of a US B&B, it's a simple straightforward home base for your Rome adventures. If you're enjoying the city, you won't be home all that often anyway!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank drive-n-eat
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here for our last night in Italy. We just wanted a place close to Termini that was clean and reasonably priced. Piccolo Principe was both clean and reasonably priced, so it met our needs, but be warned it is not your typical B&B. First off like other said, it is not well marked with only a small sign outside. To get there, you have to walk through a bit of a sketchy neighbourhood. I'd recommend walking on the Termini side of the road, especially if you have bags, then cross once you get near the end of Termini. The B&B is located in an old apartment building and is on the fifth or sixth floor. There is a small elevator though for those that need it.

Once inside the B&B it is nice though, much more so than the apartment building. The owner was very friendly and helpful. Her hospitality was excellent. The room we stayed in was large and had a private bath. The bed was very comfortable and the WiFi worked without issue. The bathroom was well equipped but our shower wouldn't drain which made for a short shower on the morning we left. The noise from the trains below was quite noticeable even with the windows closed. Breakfast was self-serve and include a wide array of choices from eggs, to meats, cereal, fruit, bread, etc. You do have to clean your own dishes afterwards though.

Overall, its a good place to stay and sleep. It's not a great location for the sights, but it is very close to Termini. I'd probably rate it 3.5 stars if I could because of the shower not working properly. If you are looking for a cheap clean place to stay, this is a good choice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple