“Not what it seems...”

B&B Santi Quattro al Colosseo
Ranked #891 of 3,709 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2011

When we planned our 10 day Italian honeymoon we did a lot of research online and pre-booked everything 5 months in advance. We liked what we saw at the B&B SantiQuattro website (especially rooms with views of the colossseum) and based on the pictures and reviews we booked a double room for our last day, which was confirmed (at that time, again a week before the trip, and again the night before).
We arrived on our final day of the trip to find that the room we wanted was not available, but they had a "nice apartment" for us (he offered two choices). This place was around the corner and down the street and did not have views of the coloseum. The apartments were dirty and run-down, but we were tired and chose one. The host left us to think. On a lark, I lifted the bedsheets and found dead bed-bugs (none living, but still...) We left immediately and looked for another place to stay. We were upset about our reservation being arbitrarily changed, about the condition of the apartments, and about the bugs. I have not yet checked my visa to see if we were charged for the night, but I hope that we were not. Luckily we did find a great place to stay for the night.
I assume the B&B rooms are nice and Fabrizio seemed nice, but the whole operation seemed a little sketchy.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Pete V
bbsantiquattro, Proprietario at B&B Santi Quattro al Colosseo, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

We sent, as we always do an email to the client specifying that the rooms with a view of the Colosseo were not available but at the same price as a double room we could offer him an entire apartment at 100 meters distance away, which is managed by us.
The client confirmed the booking.
When he arrived he immediately asked for a discount on the daily price. We showed him two apartments and told him that any extra discount was not available as the normal price of the apartments was much higher than just a standard room. He told us that he preferred to go elsewhere.
We stated that he would however have to pay for at least one night.
He then said that if we did this he would write a negative description of our structure on Trip Advisor.
He in fact did this, stating completely false information: The client did not find any bugs and he never slept in the structure, he simply refused the apartment because of the price and certainly not the cleanliness ( the apartment was rented the next day to other clients without any complaint!).
We have filed a police report for slander at the local Police department CELIO. We gladly accept criticism and advice as we always want to improve our service but we cannot tolerate people who use Trip Advisor as a method of blackmail to obtain discounts not due.

There are newer reviews for B&B Santi Quattro al Colosseo

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Rome was our first stop on our Italian vacation and we stayed in one of the apartments with another couple for 3 nights. The location was perfect for seeing all of Rome - right by the Colosseum and close to the Metro and taxis. There were also many great restaurants and cafes nearby. Out of all of the places that we stayed in during our vacation, this was one of the few places that we had air conditioning. The only negative part though is that only one room really got to experience it. There was also only one small bathroom for four people, but it wasn't too bad. We didn't end up cooking in the kitchen, but it was definitely set up nicely to do so. Fabrizio was great and very friendly. We had some trouble reaching him when we first arrived and waited for about an hour, along with having a hard time meeting up for breakfast each morning, but he was always very friendly and enjoyable. The convenience and cleanliness made up for all of this.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My taxi driver couldn't find the B&B and so he uncerimoniously left me on the street. With the help of some Romans I found the it. It's simply a buzzer on an apartment building. One of the people assisting me in finding the place told me there are many B&B's in the area like this one.

I rang the buzzer. No one answered, but there was a telephone number to call. I asked for assisstance from the restaurant next door, could I use their telephone. They didn't want to help. I asked restraunt clients if anyone had a cell phone I could use.

A restraunt client called the number and told me someone would be there in five minutes. No one came. To make a long story short, eventually the owner came. He was friendly and welcoming and kind enough to allow me to put my luggage in the room. My arrival was early, perhaps 11 am, so I didn't expect to get the room yet.

The room was clean, WiFi functioned but had some problems, air conditioning was welcome as it was very hot in Rome. I would have liked more towels. Breakfast was Italian style, nothing hot just sweet rolls, orange juice, coffee and cereal.

One morning on my way to breakfast I met the owner leaving. Breakfast was from 8:30 to 10:00, it was 9:00. I think he forgot about me because I was staying in a different building and needed to be rung up. I would have been without breakfast.

A nice man, but always in a hurry.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2011

i stayed for 3 nights in September 2011 and loved it!

great location, close to the metro and the Colosseo! walking distance to other sites.

breakfast was yummy!

i paid for a single room and was upgraded to a double room.

friendly staff as well!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank nikeki28
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed in this B&B on 4 July 2011 and again on 8 July 2011. We choose this B&B because of the good reviews. On the 4th of July, we arrived very late (23h00) at the B&B, and was really welcomed with open arms by Fabrizio. The apartment we stayed in did not have a view of the Coloseum, but was not to far from it - 5 min walking. Once you enter the apartment building, it looks a little shabby, but once you are in the apartment, it is beautiful. Our apartment had two bedrooms, one with a single bed and big bathroom, and the other room with a double bed, single bed and bathroom. Everything was well decorated. The apartment also have a small kitchenette. I must say, comparing this kitchenette with others we stayed in, this one could be a little better equiped with cutlery. But all in all, we had a good stay in this apartment, and looked forward to our stay on the 8th of July, when we will have a little more time in Rome.
Our apartment that we stayed in on the 8th, was not as nice. It is in the same building, but one floor up. This apartment was much smaller than the previous, and to be honest, it felt a little dirty. The walls can do with a paint to clean them, there is only one bathroom for the four of us. The bathroom has a shower with a shower curtain, wich I felt was very dirty, I did not use the curtain at all. The bathroom is also very small. This apartment has one bedroom, and a small sitting area with a sleeper couch and small kitchenette. The kitchenette felt dirty, cupboard could do with a wipe. I must say, our second stay here, spoiled our view of this B&B, and I am not to sure if we will make use of it again when travelling to Rome. We were priced the same rate (Euro130) on both occassions, but I do feel that the second time round should have been cheaper if you compare the two apartments. The taxi area is really around the corner in the direction of the Coloseum, and we had no problem getting a taxi the next morning to take us to the airport. We paid a fixed fee of Euro 40 for the taxi to the airport. I must add though, that Fabrizio and his wife were very friendly and helpful at all times.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank blackspaniel
Reviewed June 22, 2011

After searching the net for hotels in Rome (and getting depressed), we chose this place because of the good reviews, and we certainly made the right choice. We had an apartment in Via Ostillia which had plenty of room for a family of four, good kitchen, great bathrooms. The TV had a wide range of channels (mostly Italian programming) and the air conditioning and wireless internet worked well. The location is fantastic, right by the Colosseum and close to the Metro and taxis. We used it as a base to explore all of Rome. The location has many excellent, reasonably priced restaurants, cafes, gelaterias and enotecas within close walking distance. The breakfast in the main B&B building around the corner was good - croissants, cereal, toast, juice, yoghurt and host Fabrizio's addictive coffees - fuelling us perfectly for a day of sight seeing. Fabrizio was a fantastic host, was waiting for us on our arrival. He arranged the transfer from the airport, and our driver called ahead for us, they don't a reception desk and gave us plenty of advice in advance how to contact them. Fabrizio could not have been more helpful. His information, attention to our needs and good humour really made our stay so much more enjoyable. We will certainly stay there again on our next Roman holiday!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank OsakaAussies
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This place this place was so delightful!!!! Not only do you wake up to one of the 7 world wonders every morning, but it was clean, safe and spacious! I have stayed in many European B&B, but this one was one of the best. It comes with free wifi and breakfast plus it is centrally located. And, it is only 1 block from a major subway station. Because of the location, I was able to see Rome in a short period of time. The owner, Fabrizio was very helpful and charming. He provided me with maps and local suggestions on where to eat. I will definitely stay here again on my next Italian vacation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple