“Hidden Gem !”

Neighborhood: Esquilino
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem !”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I ate here several times during our stay in Rome in September 2013. We agree with the other recent reviewers that the food is real Italian, the owner, Fernando was delightful and his wife does the wonderful home cooking to perfection. We had homemade pasta, chicken cutlets, delicious cooked greens. If you go back a second or third time, as we did, they welcome you with open arms, the real Italian way ! We know, we're Italian !!! If you are staying at one of the big hotels on this street, visit this basement restaurant, have a real Italian meal ! Get there by 7 pm to avoid a wait. Great Gem !!

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
“great little restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at a hotel just opposite this little restaurant and found it by chance. Met a Danish couple there who looked for it because of great reviews.
The other reviewers have described the setting and the staff beautifully.
The food was wonderful and we ate there every night except one and that one exception was a huge mistake on our part.
The prices are reasonable and you really feel you are getting value for money.
Pasta and pizza are all some restaurants in Rome serve up and you can get sick of that quickly. That's why this find was so special. The menu was not large but there was a lot of variety and the ingredients were fresh.
The waiter told us to have the house wine rather than the more expensive wines available and it was very good.
You need to arrive fairly early (before 8pm) to get a table. Word spreads fast when quality like this is available.
Check it out

UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best carbonara I've ever had!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Tried this place on a Friday night after an average meal the previous night just up the road, we were drawn in by the very friendly waiter who took us down the stairs into a little basement room. The room looked lovely with paintings on the walls and ceilings and it was nice and bright. Both waiter's we saw were extremely friendly and very attentive.

Both of us ordered the carbonara and I have to say it was the best carbonara I've ever had. It was so simple, but extremely tasty. Not too cheesy or creamy, just perfectly balanced. Both of us could have happily eaten another dish of it!

We went back again 2 nights later thinking it would be quiet on a Sunday night, but when we walked in it was absolutely packed. The waiter's recognised us and came straight over and said they could get us a table in 5 minutes, and brought us a complementary drink whilst we waited. Food wasn't quite as good as the previous visit as it as extremely busy or perhaps a different chef - my friend again had the carbonara but it was a little too cheesy this time, and I had the cannelloni which was nice but not as good as the first carbonara.

On both visits we had the house wine which was incredibly cheap but lovely. The frozen limoncello shot when you paid the bill was also great!

All in all, this was the best place we ate near the Termini area. It was very reasonably priced and we couldn't fault the service. I'd definitely return if I revisit Rome!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An absolute gem! If you are in the vicinity - GO!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Fabulous. It's not immediately obvious from the street - it's right by the StarHotel Metropole in Via Principe Amedeo, just off Via Cavour, 5 minutes from the main station.

I had used it when in the StarHotel in 2012. I was staying in the vicinity again for 5 nights in September 2013 - and I this time I ate there every night. When I walked in, the owner recognised me immediately, and I got a huge Italian welcome. Whether you are eating alone, in a group, as a couple, are a tourist or an Italian - you will get the same level of warm, relaxed, attentive, good humoured excellent service. And a lovely meal. And locals eat there too - on my third or fourth night there, a local who clearly used it a lot, recognised me, and gave me a warm greeting - that speaks volumes

Service is very prompt, food of a high quality for the mid market price (I travel to Italy 2-3 times a year and have done so for 15-20 years). But it is the warmth of the manager and the atmosphere that makes this such a special place.

Prices more than reasonable - the standard cover charge, delicious starter (eg ham and melon, mixed cold cuts of meat), primi patti (a huge bowl of any number of delicious pasta dishes), mixed salad, large bottle of fizzy water - which was more than enough for me.... I struggled to spend 30 euros! This for a lovely restaurant situated by some expensive hotels!

That locals eat there is the strongest recommendation possible.

Usually, I like variety, experimenting with where I go and what I do. But at the end of a long day sightseeing in Rome, if I know of a place where I will get a lovely meal in a cosy atmosphere run by lovely people ~ why would I even consider going anywhere else? Next time I am in Rome, I know where I am eating my first night. Here.

Arbroath, United Kingdom
“A wee treasure in the city of Rome - small but fab!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had walked and walked and visited several places including some highly recommended BUT this place we found on our last night - such a shame! You could easily walk past it but a friendly face looked up at us as we peered down the stairs and waved us in - we are so glad we did! Each dish cooked to order and some dishes were offered but not on the menu - my other half had Sea Bass cooked in Rock salt and it was amazing - we had several dishes and it was simply lovely - many places didn't even offer Black Pepper or Parmesan - this place was fun, attentive and a true Italian dining experience - we loved it! We loved the puddings too - no Tiramisu for us though, we had chocolate cake - very different! The 'on the house' tipple at the end of the meal was a 'City of Rome' dessert wine and it was delicious - God if you get the chance - don't expect fast food but DO expect homemade, home cooked food!

• Visited September 2013

Been to La Grotta Amatriciana? Share your experiences!