“An absolute gem! If you are in the vicinity - GO!”

La Grotta Amatriciana
Ranked #9,322 of 12,367 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An absolute gem! If you are in the vicinity - GO!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Fabulous. It's not immediately obvious from the street - it's right by the StarHotel Metropole in Via Principe Amedeo, just off Via Cavour, 5 minutes from the main station.

I had used it when in the StarHotel in 2012. I was staying in the vicinity again for 5 nights in September 2013 - and I this time I ate there every night. When I walked in, the owner recognised me immediately, and I got a huge Italian welcome. Whether you are eating alone, in a group, as a couple, are a tourist or an Italian - you will get the same level of warm, relaxed, attentive, good humoured excellent service. And a lovely meal. And locals eat there too - on my third or fourth night there, a local who clearly used it a lot, recognised me, and gave me a warm greeting - that speaks volumes

Service is very prompt, food of a high quality for the mid market price (I travel to Italy 2-3 times a year and have done so for 15-20 years). But it is the warmth of the manager and the atmosphere that makes this such a special place.

Prices more than reasonable - the standard cover charge, delicious starter (eg ham and melon, mixed cold cuts of meat), primi patti (a huge bowl of any number of delicious pasta dishes), mixed salad, large bottle of fizzy water - which was more than enough for me.... I struggled to spend 30 euros! This for a lovely restaurant situated by some expensive hotels!

That locals eat there is the strongest recommendation possible.

Usually, I like variety, experimenting with where I go and what I do. But at the end of a long day sightseeing in Rome, if I know of a place where I will get a lovely meal in a cosy atmosphere run by lovely people ~ why would I even consider going anywhere else? Next time I am in Rome, I know where I am eating my first night. Here.

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“A wee treasure in the city of Rome - small but fab!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had walked and walked and visited several places including some highly recommended BUT this place we found on our last night - such a shame! You could easily walk past it but a friendly face looked up at us as we peered down the stairs and waved us in - we are so glad we did! Each dish cooked to order and some dishes were offered but not on the menu - my other half had Sea Bass cooked in Rock salt and it was amazing - we had several dishes and it was simply lovely - many places didn't even offer Black Pepper or Parmesan - this place was fun, attentive and a true Italian dining experience - we loved it! We loved the puddings too - no Tiramisu for us though, we had chocolate cake - very different! The 'on the house' tipple at the end of the meal was a 'City of Rome' dessert wine and it was delicious - God if you get the chance - don't expect fast food but DO expect homemade, home cooked food!

East Freetown, Massachusetts
“great Italian food”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel concierge. It was totally worth it. It's a small place family run I believe. Service speed is typical of other Italian restaurants, food was delicious!! We had the assorted cheese appetizer, fettuccine alfredo, lasagna, and ice cream dessert. The sauce was to die for! Good price range too. We might go back during our vacation.

Hong Kong
“Tourist trap!?!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Its proximity to the termini train station as well as the many hotels in that area is very convenient to tourists indeed. The food is generally good though you may have to wait a bit. The restaurant's based in a basement cellar, interesting & cozy. Just we were told that we gotta pay for a surcharge because we'd bread and wouldn't have to pay if we didn't. Then on the next day (we actually preferred to revisit another restaurant but unfortunately others were closed) we were billed for the same surcharge when we didn't have bread, which was only served to us when we were halfway through our main course and we turned down. We were in a hurry to the airport so we paid and didn't argue. We were, however, very upset not because of the monetary amount involved but the dishonesty of the owner. Why would you bother to explain to your customers about the bread charge and acted as if it's fair when you would charge regardless?

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank maizebb
Brighton
“Thanks for finishing off a day in Rome nicely!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well we stupidly fell into the tourist trap of going to a pizzeria next to the termini. The food was bland and staff rude and my mate had some metal in his pizza. After we got back from our escapades for the day we came across this place. Not wanting to be screwed again I hesitantly walked down the stairs, after a recommendation from a person coming out of the restaurant...very glad we did!

Greeted with a smile we were sat in lovely surroundings. The wine was served quickly and was excellent. After some discussions with one or the waiters (perhaps owner) over the food, we were recommended two pasta dishes. This was lovely fresh pasta and put a nice end to our stay. Great work guys! We recommended you to the group outside who were hovering to which they went in.

• Visited August 2013