“My fav. local Pizzeria”

Neighborhood: Monti
London, United Kingdom
“My fav. local Pizzeria”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Having moved to Rome from London I've eaten a lot of Pizza at a lot of different restaurants. This is my favourite and is where I bring all my visitors!

The fried starters are perfect ( especially the Supli ) and the Pizzas are tasty ( and not too big! ).
I really like the tiramisou here as well.

It's a v. casual place, paper placemats and rickety chairs but is great for a cheap eat with a half litre of house wine!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank grkat

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Absurd - experienced racist behaviour?!! - ruined my holiday!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I urge you to please read this up until the end. Went to this place because it was recommended in the Rough Guides Rome guidebook. Whilst it looked like a good find and the menu had a good selection, simple and good for vegetarians, It was all downhill from there. Service was terrible ( for most tables), however we seemed to have been treated like second class citizens from the moment we walked in. We are educated 2nd/ 3rd generation English of Indian descent. Never experienced behaviour like this anywhere else in the world in all of my extensive travels (over 70 countries). We were made to rush our order as soon as we walked in, courses came out in different orders and one starter came out after we had finished our mains. Not at any point during the meal did we think there was any prejudice against us and put it down to arrogant Roma attitude, them wanting to turn tables very quickly (even though only half full) and that it is a place recommended in a guide book - which has given them a big head. But the last straw was waiting over 20 minutes for the bill, whilst other diners that had asked after us where leaving with their bills even though the waiter had acknowledged us every time, it all happened. We went up to the cashier (think he was the manager/owner), asked politely for the bill and mentioned we had been waiting a while and would like to leave so please can you add up our bill or ask our waiter, his response was "You are from India or maybe Bangladesh? We had to wait in your country, now it is your turn to wait". What I thought was just bad service turned out to be a completely different reason. This is the most humiliating comment I have heard in my whole life. If I wasn't with my elderly mother I would have had more to say but I responded "we actually English, how much is my bill?", there was more abuse, at this point I gave him a couple of notes and walked out. I have thick skin but this has left me fuming with a bitter taste of Rome, especially on our last night of what was a great holiday. I ask for anyone considering to dine here to boycott this place - you won't be missing much. I will be writing to Rough Guides about this incident to see what they can do. Btw - this is my first ever complain!, so please treat this seriously.

• Visited August 2013
22 Thank BPlondon1
13federico13, Direttore at Alle Carrette, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
We have been reviewed on Trip Advisor for about 10 years and we recivied about 200 reviews, and this time, for the first time we feel we have to answer the last review. We absolutely do not share anything of what is written, and strongly reject that kind of statment. It would too easy to reply to the criticisms about our service: the spontaneous reviews speak for us. In order to protect the name of pizzeria, and the work of those who so hardly work to maintain our high quality standards and our popolarity we recall that within Le Carrette people from 5 different countries(Egypt, Bangladesh, Italy, Cuba, Romania), and 3 different monotheistic religion have being working for 20 years in perfect harmony and without any prejudice, we also want to remember that we are mentioned in the most famous travel guides around the world in a very positive way , and we are plesed to welcome ,as it has always been ,clients of any nationality,skin, color, religion, and sexual orientation ciao!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We found this restaurant from other reviews and It was really lovely. It was a nice walk down from around termini along the side streets and felt like lots of local went there. At first when we walked in we were a bit unsure, but then we found that there was a outdoor area that was a lot nicer than inside, we really loved the atmosphere and had a great night.

Visited August 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A taste of Rome”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great place, full of locals and very popular, we were seated straight away but there was a short wait for some. Really good pizza and very reasonable prices, especially for Rome. Service was good but not overlly enthusiastic. Perfect if you want somewhere not touristy and a little off the beaten track.

Visited July 2013
Jacksonville
“OUR FAVORITE PLACE!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We tried this place on our 3 night of stay because the restrauant we wanted to go was closed. This place is at the end of a alley way. I am SO glad we tried it because we ended up eating here every evening. They cater to the locals and I loved it!! The best food for a great price! We would have our wine, pizza, and coffees!! They said hello to us every evening and it was a joy to see them!!! We did arrive everyday before 8 because it does get crowded with the locals.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank pbscastle

Been to Alle Carrette? Share your experiences!