“Beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Taverna Varrone

Taverna Varrone
Ranked #759 of 12,135 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Prati
Edmonton, Canada
“Beware”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

while some people would appreciate this restaurant, it was certainly different with us.
the waiter refused to give us a cash register receipt. He took a small piece of paper and outline in almost impossible to read handwriting the items we ate and cost. He charged us 6.00 Euro for taxes that he said he has to pay the govt. He refused to accept card payments, We offered Visa, Master Card, American Express all no. He did not want to give us antipasto and said we should enter the restaurant where downstairs, we can take a look at what we liked. He looked at my wife, who is Chinese and I am American Caucasian with somewhat an odd look. He spoke Italian all the time. I still have the piece of paper where he wrote out bill and will be mailing it soon to the authorities in Italy for their scrutiny. He was not happy when we did not order a second course and a dessert.
Over all, I would be wary about this restaurant. If we spoke Italian, it could have made a difference. This restaurant is located in Via Varonne 7/A

• Polish first
Lillehammer
“Varrona is my favorite!”
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I found this fanstastic place just around the corner of my hotel, visiting Rome in april '09. I found the great atmosfere, great food and fantastick staff. I want especially to give a great honour to Mr. Luigi, which was most helpful with his plesant attitude and personal service. Every day after long walks, I just almost could not wait until dinnertime, and i spent every evening here at Taverna Varrone. And the same we did in may 2010 together with my wife Anita. The best wishes to Mr. Aldo and his staff :-)

dublin ireland
“Great find”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stumbled upon this restaurant - nearly didn't go in as seating downstairs. Best meal in Rome. Staff very helpul , food was great. Not too expensive. Unpretentious as with some restaurants in Rome where you pay alot more.

Stockholm, Sweden
“Can't wait to visit again!”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Taverna Varrone is now definitely among my personal favorites! It was recommended by the staff at Hotel dei Consoli, which is just across the street, and it turned out to be a lovely experience.
We haven't felt this welcome in a very, very long time, as a matter of fact, we didn't eat anywhere else in Rome during this trip.
Four friendly waiters, among them, coincidentally, one born in the same city as my Grandmother, and another one whose English was impeccable, together with the chef and kitchen staff are the heart and soul of this little joint on Via Varrone.

We tried their sea-food specialties, fried calamari, shrimp and lobster, swordfish as well as pasta, risotto, artichoke appetizer and desserts. The wine was tasty, the fruit desserts fresh and the tiramisù absolutely delicious.

This is not a fancy restaurant with small portions on huge plates. Here, you get a lot of food for your money, it's tasty and you feel it's made with a lot of love. There's a wonderfully familiar atmosphere and spirit to this taverna which we found absolutely contagious. These people welcomed us with big smiles on their faces, great food suggestions and attentive service.

I can't wait to go back to Rome and enjoy a nice meal at my favorite joint, or just say hello and have a little chit-chat with the new friends from Taverna Varrone. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face and I think that speaks for itself! What a wonderful experience!

1 Thank cristinablendea
“Nice, family restaurant, good for a...”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Nice, family restaurant, good for a regular meal or a pizza when you're around. Not so expensive (50 euros for a pizza, two dishes of pasta, a dessert, half liter of wine, coffes and a little tip)