“Great find and full of locals”
Review of Tempio di Bacco

Tempio di Bacco
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Tempio di Bacco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,471 of 13,326 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Whilst wandering around looking for a nice place for lunch we walked by this place and noticed that every single table appeared to be occupied by italians. Seeing this as a good sign, we took the last table available. We were not disappointed. The staff were very attentive and accommodating, the food was excellent (recommend the fettucine with black truffle!) and the chianti we ordered was just right. It was lovely being the only tourists in the restaurant and the relaxed feel to the place set the tone for a truly authentic, long italian lunch.

1  Thank BecR2

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had the misfortune of being persuaded to eat at the Tempio di Bacco on Via Lombardia in Rome one Sunday evening. We were stopped by a chap promising we could get a free drink and that prices were more reasonable than on the Via Vittorio Veneto (where prices are ridiculous). We duly headed over and looked at the menu which did look more reasonably priced and there where lots of customers which is usually a good sign. We should have known better and have left when we sat down and were told the free drinks were only a choice of after dinner drinks followed up by being told you could not have iced water, they only served mineral water (cheap trick to get some more cash out of you, also the 2 euro per head for stle bread was not really appreciated). However as we were hungry and food looked Ok that was being brought out we decided to get on and order, we asked to share an Italian selection started which was Ok, but the main courses, spaghetti and meat balls was very disappointing no flavour at all, my daughter who is 5 has spaghetti in tomato source (a full adult size portion as the restaurant refused to do any child sized meals - which is very unusual these days), this was fairly foul and she eat very little which is unusual for her as this is a favourite usually. When asked what drinks we would like I asked to look at the wine menu, and chose one of the cheaper bottles of local wine about 16 euros (usually no problem in Italy), however when the waiter came to take the order suddenly he had run out of all the cheap bottles and only could offer bottles around 27-30 euros, this was clearly a usual scam as I heard it being told to the table next to me, I promptly refused any wine then, and straight way the waiter said he would go check again and came back with the cheep bottle we wanted initially rather than loosing the sale totally.
Having had a disappointing meal and still being hungry I though perhaps at least desert could not go wrong, I asked for a menu and was told they only had one option today which sounded awful so I had to give it a miss, and requested the bill. We waited an age for the bill and having asked for it 4 times we eventually got up to walk out in disgust, which prompted one of the staff to finally come over to sort out payment. The only excuse given for this was they are always busy (yes with poor tourists who are about to be in for disappointment I would suggest).
I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, go find a restaurant which is full of locals not other tourists would be my recommendation, and I will be taking my own advice next time.

2  Thank jb812
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Went here on recommendation from a nearby hotel. We were able to walk in and get a table easily. Ordered the fresh fish of the day, a sea bass, that was steamed with lemon. Such a simple preparation, but soooo delicious! Wine was fab too. The decor was nothing special but the service was very good.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Visit was based on a referral from the concierge at the Westin Excelsior. The food was excellent with several dishes chosen based on the recommendation of the staff. Wine was also excellent (forgot the flavor, sorry). Staff balanced the line between being attentive and letting us enjoy our evening. Would return if I'm back in the area. Atmosphere was casual/nice with both outdoor and indoor options - we ate inside.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We had a meal at the top of the Via Vittorio Veneto in the street pod at the Cafe Restaurant and that was nice - however we only had a main, desert and a glass of wine/beer for two with a bill of over €120 with a service charge and from the waitress with the bill specifically saying this bill excludes tip. Interesting approach to looking for a tip.

Then on our last night - we had seen this restaurant, the Tempio di Bacco, earlier in the week and actually decided to eat there for our anniversary meal - it seemed to have a more welcoming friendly approach. We had thought about eating at one of the top end restaurants for the special occasion but the menu was not really to our liking and limited on quantity and so we decided to go for something we felt was a little less formal and a taste of local Rome - I think the pasta is also made on the premises. This street restaurant was an excellent choice and we recommend for a number of reasons.
The manager and his team were excellent, really good English speakers and nothing too much trouble. Even bought over a glass of champagne on the house when he realised it was our anniversary. Good choice and was also happy to amend one of the dishes for my wifes request. Out total bill, with starters, main , desert and a bottle of wine was €111 - and we were happy to leave a tip without feeling pressured to do so. In the heart of Rome, near the main drag we thought that was a good deal. Even finished off the meal with a couple of shots of a local brew. Give it a go - if you like good choice,service for a reasonable price, you shouldn't be disappointed.