“Acceptable” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Bonus Pastor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Bonus Pastor
Ranked #256 of 3,732 Rome B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“Acceptable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a good place for people who want to be close to vatican city. In exchange, they have to put up with hard beds and loud hallways. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is awful and the coffee is far from Italian standard.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cyril C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fenton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed here two nights on a two week trip through Italy. It was one of our favorite places, and a good price for Rome. We had a quadruple room for my husband, daughter, mother in-law and I. It had 4 twin beds, and was huge. It is a no frills, converted seminary that has very basic, dorm style room, with comfortable (hard) beds. The bathroom is modern and very clean. It has AC, although they turn it off from 8:00 am to noon daily. It was cool in the mornings when we were there and opening the window was adequate. There is a large gated parking area, that is free (great for Rome!). 2 buses stop right across the street, which we used one day, and drove around Rome the other. The breakfast is basic, but adequate. The dinner on the other hand was a real bargain at 16 euro a person. It included wine, water, bread, pasta, salad, meat entree with vegs, cheese tray and cake (pastry.) It was the best deal we had in Italy and was quite good. The staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful. It is quite different from any place we have ever stayed, but we all agreed we would love to go back to Rome, and would stay there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Thomas H
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed at this place for three nights, and don't have regrets of choosing this place. It is not a resort hotel; it's a place for pilgrims to stay. The place was full, and the food was good. The breakfast was too basic for my taste; and too much carbs, but it was included, and the food in Rome is expensive.
We never had lunch or dinner but asked to several people that did eat there and told us that the food was very good, and that if you wanted to repeat a dish, they would bring more. Wine was included.
There is a bar and there were lots of people having drinks there. The prices were quite reasonable.
My only complaint was that we had to sleep in single beds. The A/C worked perfectly.
It's one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank golflover26
Salt Spring Island, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

The building is nice. The room iarge. The location is handy for the vatican museum and St. Peter's. The rate is reasonable but:

It is not accommodation provided by a convent nor monestry. It is a hotel owned by the Vatican. The idea is fun especially since you can buy Vatican stamps and mail a postcard which you can buy there for a reasonable price. 30cents euro. That is where the enjoyment ends.

After spending the morning out and wanting to come back for the early afternoon to shower and relax to prepare for the late afternoon you arrive to a very hot room. You have NO control over your air conditioner. They advertise air conditioning, and people pretend that they will turn it on and eventually they did, but not until 7am in the morning the next day and for a short period of time and who needs it then?. There is nothing wrong with the unit, they just have it tured off centrally. It was HOT in Rome the day I arrivved. 35c.

The next day I asked again and they said that they will ask if they can have the air conditioner on later. Later was after 7pm and it was only on for a short period of time, not long enough to cool the large room down. I am disappointment as that alone would have made me book somewhere else. Air conditioning was one of my discerning factors in choosing a hotel in Rome.

Breakfast was bizarre. There is no buffet, the food is placed on the tables. You seat yourself as there is no greeter, but once you seat youare told to move. I watched this happen to others. We were moved to a table that was half used. No cutlery, every piece of food we had to ask for except for the yogart that was on the table. THEN they took left over plates of fod from other tables that had left. I would have preferred if they had pretendd to bring it from the kitchen. On eo fhe buns I had was wet on the bottom. From what I am not sure. I watched the servers rush around alot but nothing seemed to get done. I saw one couple who had been moved, waited for a long time so he helped himself to juice from another table and then the server came over and told him he couldn't take it. This server pretended he could speak English but coudln't. It would have been better if he had been honest. I asked what type of jiuce and he said orange carrot. It wasn't juice at all but sugar water with peach flavouring. I could go on, you know how do you eat yogart without a spoon. Why does the empty table get the cereal but you don't, etc etc. Believe me I asked but to no avail.

This must be a convention centre because there were ALOT of goups of people. One group on my floor came in every night at 145 am and spoke very loud and hung out inthe hall to make their plans for the next day. So there goes your sleep especially when the airconditioner wakes you up at 7am.

This place was built as a seminary, it should not be a hotel unless the clients are asked to be quiet. It is the culture of the Italians and Canadians to be such, but not two others I can think of. ALso going outside is a great place to have access to all the second hand smoke you want. and there seemed to be a lot of drunk people.

The staff at the front end are friendly enough, but only to a point. One I was going to rave about even though the information he provided me was actually wrong the first day, he told us with such happiness I was going to mention him until when I asked if I could check out the night before and he said yes and I went to get my wallet and came back, he told me he was too busy and to come back in half hour or so. I guess it was not a convienant time. There was only one other person waiting. that I was aware of.

I would NEVER stay here again. The lunch was alright, but paled compared to the food we ate at the modest convent on the other side of town.

OH one more thing I am remembering..... I am sure there is more. The cleaning lady knocks, before you can respond or open the door she actually UNLOCKED the door and walked in.

The wireless which I didn't expect so was a bonus was nice but it was always 1-2 bars strength, sometimes 3. Took along time to upload my photos.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
3 Thank AngieK-SSI
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

I booked this hotel as I needed to be in that area of Rome to meet up with our four daughters who were coming from all over Europe for a family trip to Sicily.

The hotel is close to the Vatican, and was a welcome respite from the crowds of Rome.

I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The price was very good for such nice accommodations in a big city like Rome. The staff was so kind and accommodating as our plans kept shifting with the volcanic ash cloud. Without a blink they readjusted our reservations when a couple of extra daughters showed up.

The rooms are not fancy, but the entire hotel is SPOTLESSLY clean. The bathrooms were nice and the single beds were very comfortable. My husband and I had an end room with the most incredible view of Rome. The hotel is on a big piece of land with trees and a lovely area outside with tables and chairs. It was perfect for relaxing after a day of site seeing. Breakfast was good...juice, coffee or tea and the standard pastries. A bigger breakfast was possible for an additional fee. Lunch and dinner are also available.

The hotel is somehow affiliated with a religious order, but the hotel itself is open to anyone and is used by various tour groups. There is a large area for conferences.

The bus stop is right out in front of the hotel with the metro a ten minute walk away, so transportation is quite easy.

We enjoyed our stay so much, we booked rooms for the night before our return home.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family