“fairly poor - add e 2-3 per night and find better place”
Review of Ciak Hostel

Ciak Hostel
Ranked #380 of 1,170 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed March 18, 2013

there are few reasons why I rated this hostel negatively:

1. room 2 is on the noisy part of the street. there are condensation and mould around the window and it stinks around that area. it took me averagely 45 minutes to fall asleep because of the traffic coming from the street.

2. the english "lady" is trying to be helpful and friendly but it doesn't work for her. she works night shift, and she talks too much and giggles too loud. after midnight she prefers to chit chat and laugh loudly with every single person that comes back late. she's also not particularly helpful especially if you make critics at her account.

3. breakfast is worthless! dry bread and jam and few biscuits. they better stop serving it at all. in common area there are few electrical outlets at the side where tables are. if you plug in on the other side you're risking damaging your lap top slots when people trip over your cable.

4. toilet/shower is small and dirty (at least in room no. 2 where I stayed).

All in all this hostel doesn't worth more than e 10 a night and in the end it's not worth a hassle.

Don't forget that you need to pay e 2 (per night) city tourist tax.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Wasn't the nicest hotel and we stayed in the basement room of one of the buildings, the bathroom had a funny smell and the rooms were quite small. The privates are also located in a seperate building to the main part of the hostel, so there also weren't many chances to mingle with other backpackers. The breakfast is also quite average and there is also a limited amount of food for everyone so don't be too late getting there or you will miss out.

It is a short walk to places like the Coliseum (15-20min) and is quite close to the train station, but is in a poorer area of rome so be careful when walking around. The main hostel area is good though and the staff are really nice so if you are on a budget then I it is ok it but if you are able to spend a few more dollars I would recommend going somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great staff, great location near Termini, Metro, and the Colosseum. Hot showers worked great and beds were comfortable. WIFI was available but kept having problems. I would definitely recommend this place to other travelers

Room Tip: Local supermarket just up the street on the corner.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at the Secret Garden (private room deluxe) for 3 nights.. The room and the bathroom are really big and welcoming. In the room we had a fridge, tv and in the bathroom there was a big jacuzzi.
The breakfast was served upstairs on the terrace with coffee, cake etc. and it was all very delicious.
The staff was really helpfull as they gave us a lot of information about Rome. On friday's and saturday's the hostel offers you to stay for dinner and eat pasta, which we really enjoyed.
We really recomend you to stay at this hostel as the price and the location are really good!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and found it really good. The room was clean and had air-con, which was great as it was hot after walking around all day. The staff was really friendly and helped us out. It is close to the main train termini which takes you to all the attractions. Also very close to the oldest gelato factory which is a huge bonus (lol)! Our room was clean (although the cleaner was less than friendly!). Also had breakfast included which was up on the terrace which was really cute. Included cereal, coffee, tea and some pastries. Pretty basic but all you need. Very happy with our stay. One of the better hostels on our 5 week tour around europe:)

Room Tip: We were in the apartments away from the actual hostel. Not sure what the main building is like but o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I recently went on a trip through Europe for 3 weeks and stayed at the Ciak for 3 nights. It was without a doubt the worst hostel I stayed in during this trip (which covered 10+ cities), and the experience with hotel cleaning was completely unacceptable (I'll get to that soon, pictures included).

I want to start with the good though - some of the staff is incredibly friendly and very helpful. There is a British lady who cooked dinner for everyone on Saturday night, and she generally worked the night shift. She always asked us how we were doing and went out of her way to help us out if we asked for places to go or any other questions. When we told her about our experience with the cleaning lady, she was very sympathetic and told us it is completely unacceptable - she was the only member of the staff who actually reacted like that.

Now on to the bad - the rooms are already very small, there were 6 people in our room and it was very cramped. There was a small bathroom, that got dirty very easily and was not cleaned very well. The location is okay, I don't think it's anything great. The Colosseum is still a good 15 minute walk away, as are most of the major attractions. If you're looking to go out somewhere, the best places are a lot further away, 45 minutes walking so you're probably better off taking a cab.

And finally, the cleaning at this hostel is absolutely terrible, I have no doubt that our room was dirtier after the so called cleaning than before. First of all the cleaning lady went into the bathroom and cleaned (questionable how effective that was). By the time she got out she was sweating and smelling pretty bad (this is no offense to her but just the facts). In that state, she stood on one of the beds with her dirty shoes and proceeded to replace the sheets of another bed. As she was taking off the old sheets, she threw them onto me while I was still lying on my bed, onto my clean bed. She then mounted the bed to adjust the sheets and move the pillow, in the process dirtying the bed with her sweaty clothes and dirty shoes. We tried to get her to stop during the whole process and complained immediately, but the hostel's response was terrible. The girl who was working at the desk at the time came and apologized to the cleaning lady for our complaining, and didn't really reprimand her at all. She told her to replace all of our sheets, but honestly after seeing how she replaced sheets we felt better off keeping the ones we already have.

We later complained to the hostel before checking out, but the manager Carlos was not sympathetic at all, and tried to justify the terrible cleaning by pointing out how he had allowed out friend to share a bed with one of our other friends for one night because she wasn't on the reservation (which didn't really inconvenience the hostel in anyway so it didn't make sense to me).

I would strongly recommend against staying at the Ciak hostel, just based on the cleaning experience. I'm glad we stayed in the room long enough to experience this, because I'm not sure if most people knew about it. On top of that, cramped rooms and unfriendly management make this without a doubt the worst hostel I have stayed in.

Note: I have attached a picture of the cleaning lady putting her dirty shoes on a clean bed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shaayak S
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

This hostel was among my favorites so far. The room was large and spacious. Everyone got a lockbox too. The staff were so helpful and friendly... We even signed up for the free pasta dinner on Friday and Saturday and it was excellent! I mean, nothing fancy but you can't expect much for free. Saturday night, they even pushed all the tables together and set up place settings, gave us free wine and bread sticks and then served us dinner! It was a great time to socialize and meet new people. We all went out together afterwards! I think what made this place so great is that it is smaller and there are fewer people so it's more welcoming and you get to know the travelers better. Highly recommended. Ps although the location isn't ideal... The metro is only 1.50 euros!

• Stayed: May 2012