“Great food, friendly waiter”
Review of Le Tavernelle

Le Tavernelle
Ranked #404 of 12,855 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Monti
Description: It's a historical restaurant near the Colosseum, that offers Roman dishes, meat, fish, no pizza. Air conditioning, free wifi, small pets allowed, disabled inaccessible. Go park the car on the blue parking lots scattered around the area, and have a walk through the evocative streets of the city centre. You can reach us by stepping off the Metro A "Cavour". Characteristic dessert of the place: the Dolcevita, a sort of "panna cotta" without eggs (it was dedicated the the Italian director Fellini, who happened to be allergic to eggs).
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our Hotel was just up the street so we went here for our first meal (lunch) in Rome. The waiter was very friendly which was nice. I tried the famous tagliolini a limone which was amazing and my husband had the spicy penne which was also terrific. We decided to go back for dinner another night, which is very unusual for us and it was busy so we had to eat inside. We had the smoked salmonwith toast to start then pasta with wild boar and ravioli with spinach and ricotta done in sage butter. Again the food was very good. They also brought macaroons and offered lemoncello at the end of the meal. We would happily return.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

The staff were very welcoming. They have an extensive menu at reasonable prices. The food was well prepared and nicely served. We recommend the Gnocchi and the Osso Bucco which were both Five Star. Restaurant table settings clean and crisp.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The best restaurant we went to in Rome. Perfect meals, perfect service ! We LOVE this restaurant and its employees ! You feel really comfortable in a friendly environment.
Go without any doubt !

1  Thank Vic7869
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I ate here during our time in Rome. We first tried it due to the positive reviews from tripadvisor and we are glad we did try it. We came really early which was a good thing as the restaurant is always full and normally booked. The staff were amazing, welcoming, very very friendly, they made us feel very at home. We sat down and ordered our meals. The food was to die for. Pasta cooked perfectly, seafood was fresh and house wine was good. When it was time to leave we received our bill and we were surprised how low cost our meal had been. We were so happy with our over all experience we booked again for the next three nights and every other meal was just as perfect. If I could recommend any restaurant in the whole of Italy it would definitely be this one. Come early and enjoy!!!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I visited this restaurant for dinner around 8pm on a Wednesday night. Having read many good things on TripAdvisor we were quite looking forward to the meal.

When we arrived, we spoke to one waitress and asked for a table for 2 inside. Following her inside, it was mostly empty (note: outside was quite full) and all the vacant tables in the area were prepared for 4 persons. The waitress gestured to take a sit somewhere, we pointed at a random table close by and she gladly seated us. About 2-3 minutes after having sat down, another waitress (seemingly more senior) can out and having noticed where we were sitting rudely said "that table is for 4 people" and pointed us to move to some other table (although the inside was pretty much empty). I told her that another waitress said we could sit there although the other waitress was no longer around. Upon hearing this she aggressively walked to our table, grabbing a couple of menus on the way, literally threw the menus down on the table and then proceeded to move our table 3-4cm away from the connecting table to create two 2-person tables. This was done with deliberate haste and roughness without apology, as if to let us know. After that she just walked off angrily, as though 'we' had somehow offended her !!

Sadly her rudeness and susequent outburst had left us with an ill feeling about staying, for one we knew she was not happy (as ridiculous as it was) and were worried about the quality of the food we might receive. Hence we left the restaurant without eating, feeling angry, disappointed and a little embarrassed.

I see myself as pretty laid back with restaurants, I rarely complain about service and so long as the food is good I am usually happy. But in this occassion, I don't know if it's the arrogance of having received good appraisals before, we were really let down by the service and treatment of the particular waitress/manager. I would not return on that basis, which is a shame as the food probably is good.

2  Thank Jono H

Been to Le Tavernelle? Share your experiences!