“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dipendenza Hotel Smeraldo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Dipendenza Hotel Smeraldo
Ranked #697 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Tooele, Utah, United States
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Smeraldo for 2 nights. It was an excellent location, we were able to walk to many of the sights we wanted to see, the Vatican City is a little far, though. the hotel was clean and the breakfast was good. The long haired night guy was a little grouchy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Smeraldo 7 nights in September 2012. We stayed in the part of the hotel that was across the street by Roscioli Bakery. We were up on the 4th floor and our room was very small, but we were able to quickly get used to that by completely unpacking our bags and putting everything away. The bathroom was very small (especially the shower stall) but we were okay with that. The room was clean, actually extremely clean. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and were more than happy to make dinner reservations for us each day. The breakfast was fairly decent and they serve until 10 am. There's a roof top terrace where my wife and I would enjoy a glass of wine late in the day. To sum it up, the staff is great at Hotel Smeraldo, right down to the cleaning staff. The rooms are very clean and it's located in about the best spot in Rome. The Pantheon is 4 blocks away. You can walk to the Trevi Fountain in 20 minutes. You can walk to Trastevere in 10 minutes. The Campo de Fiori is a 5 minute walk (slow walk). I will most certainly stay at this hotel again in the near future. The staff and location make this a great find at bargain prices.

Room Tip: If you stay in the main hotel, it should be quiter on the weekends. The Campo de Fiori can get very...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We could not have done better than to book the Dipendenza Hotel Smeraldo for our first visit to Rome. Upon our early morning arrival at the hotel, we were met by an extremely friendly and efficient hotel staff who checked us in and provided a place for us to store our luggage until our room was ready. While waiting for our room, we made our way outside for our first exploration of the sights of the city and, after walking only a few blocks from the hotel, came into the Campo di Fiori with its brilliant flower stalls, aromatic restaurants, and inviting activity. Leaving this area, we walked a few blocks further and into the Piazza Navona with its fantastic sculpture, fountains, and restaurants. After lunch back in the Campo de Fiori, we returned to the hotel, where we and our luggage were escorted to our room, which was clean, air conditioned, bright, and equipped with all the amenities we needed. After a walk to the Trevi Fountain on our first night in Rome, we spent the next two days doing walking tours of the Vatican, the Colosseum, the Palatine Hill, the Forum, and the Pantheon. We soon discovered that all of these sights were within a fairly reasonable walking distance from our hotel. The Smeraldo’s helpful staff, attractive accommodations, rooftop deck, and tasty breakfasts all made us feel so welcome. We certainly hope to include the Smeraldo in our plans for a second visit to the Eternal City.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Hotel Smeraldo has a perfect location, just 2 blocks from Largo Argentina, and very close to Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, and countless other piazzas and monuments.
I stayed in Room 203 of the Dipendenza, and the room was perfect. I had a tall window with shutters and double-curtains, which opened onto the street so I could feel the cool air at night. The sound was not very loud, and I don't think it would bother anyone who has ever lived in a city.
My bathroom had been renovated- there was as much hot water available as I could use, and the shower was luxurious by Italian standards- I could get in, wash myself, turn around, etc. without bumping up against the walls- so awesome!
Also, the wifi (included in the room rate) was dependable, and speeds were fine.
My room had everything I needed for a comfortable stay, and I certainly look forward to returning to Hotel Smeraldo the next time I'm in Rome.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo Dipendenza (right around the corner from and sharing the same lobby with Hotel Smeraldo) in Rome in September 2011. As stated in other reviews the two main things that we look for in accomodations are cleanliness and value for dollar. Both expectations were met. Rome is not an inexpensive town so we were very pleased with the spotless condition of our room, common areas such as the lobby and breakfast area, the amenities we enjoyed for the dollar we spent. First timers to Rome we were a little wary as our taxi delivered us down a narrow cobblestone alley to the hotel. We quickly discovered that the "alley" is just a very typical Roman street. Roman roads were not designed (2000+ years ago) with North American tourists used to driving our own land barges in mind.

A huge bonus (for us) in staying at the Dipendenza was the location. Other reviewers have mentioned the close proximity to must see attractions such as Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navone, the Pantheon. The hotel is also within a comfortable walk across the Tiber to the Trastevere neighbourhood for dinner, to the Vatican, the Colosseum, Forum, pretty much everywhere. Also, there is a great bakery (Roscioli) next door to Dipendenza and a deli (also called Roscioli) just down the street where one can buy food and wine to enjoy on the somewhat small roof top patio and listen to the nearby church bells chime. In this regard you may be better off to use the roof top patio at the Hotel Smeraldo as it is larger, more enjoyable and doesn't have air conditioning compressors in close proximity.

I must point out that the breakfast, served at the Hotel Smeraldo, was better than most we enjoyed at budget hotels during our trip and was a great place to meet fellow travelers.

All in all, I highly recommend Hotel Smeraldo Dipendenza. Great value, clean, all amenities and a very central location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BEC053
Canada's west coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

My thanks to Claudio and all the staff at Hotel Smeraldo for a lovely stay in the Dipendenza, which is a fully renovated building just around the corner form the main hotel. In 2006, five girlfriends stayed in the main hotel, so when I decided to go back to Rome I called to see if they had a single room for me and they offered the single unit in their Dipendenza for $90 Euro/night. I did mention Rick Steeves travel book to get the rate. And that did not include breakfast, which was an extra 7 Euro per day. That's still relatively expensive for me as a solo traveler - since the Euro is 1 to about 1.60 in Canadian dollars, however, the location is the absolute best in the city, right in the heart of the ancient centre, adjacent to Campo de Fiori, where there is a wonderful farmers market every morning, and near many fabulous shops and restaurants. It became my neighbourhood for the nine-night stay, and I was very happy here. My room was tiny, but who really cares? It had a comfortable single bed, a TV, a small table and chair, one window overlooking the street, a small bathroom with sink, toilet, bidet and shower stall - imagine all of that wrapped in beautiful marble and hardwood. Daily maid service is excellent and friendly. Hotel staff helped me with everything I needed help with - from getting directions, to finding train schedules, to booking return transport to the airport. The hotel offers Wi Fi and an in-house terminal for on-line communications in one central location for a fee. It can be very noisy in the immediate area, lots of street sounds almost around the clock, so if you are a light sleeper this may not be the best location. I feel very safe and comfortable here and would go back at the drop of a hat. Love Italy. Love Rome. Love Hotel Smeraldo, Love Rossanas Caffe - Grazie Mille.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank arthritisonthego
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

The Smeraldo was conveniently located a short walk from the Campo d'fiori and Piazza Navona and within easy walking distance to the Pantheon and other ancient sites including the Forum and Pallantine Hill. We felt quite safe and close to the action. The room was clean, but it was quite small. There is an elevator, but it's up a few stairs and only one person with luggage could fit in it at a time. There is a full breakfast available, but it's just "so so" and not worth the added charge. You may be able to negotiate a lower rate without the breakfast, but be sure to do this before you book. Overall, Hotel Smeraldo is a good value compared with other similar properties in this popular area of Rome. However, I would not have wanted to stay more than the 2 nights we were there. If we go back, I would look for another alternative.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends