“Offers all the potential to ruin your stay in Rome!”
Review of City's House B&B

City's House B&B
Ranked #986 of 3,645 Rome B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Offers all the potential to ruin your stay in Rome!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

On arrival we were informed that there had been a problem with one of the toilets in the City House, and that we would have to share our en suite bathroom with the people in the next room. The bathroom wasn't en suite it was in fact next door to our room, so were missold the room in the first instance, the proprietors need to understand what en suite means! Being a good natured and easy going couple we agreed (not that we really had an option). We were assured that 'the sharing' of the bathroom would only be for the first night of stay. I didn't meet the guys we shared the facilities with but be assured they were very hairy! On the second night of our stay we were assured that the bathroom was now solely for our use, on returning to the room that evening I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and found a young lady taking a pee! Seems 3 girls had arrived and were staying in the double room next door. We were subjected to four lectures in total regarding closing doors quietly - we actually crept around the place like mice for the duration of our stay for fear of waking the owners - and seemed to get the blame every time any of the other guests had the audacity to use a door! All very bizarre. Service was pretty diabolical, the water in the bathroom/shower was cold all weekend and the attitude of the owners was very strange! The paranoia of the owner ref the door opening and closing is beyond belief - signs everywhere - how are guests supposed to get in and out of their rooms without using the doors? On the morning of our departure the owner came to our room and was pretty obnoxious - I would assume someone had dared to close a door during the night and we were subjected to another telling off. We expected basic accomodation in a great location - not cold showers, a hairy bathroom and four tellings off!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lisa s

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tel Aviv
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I read the review of Heidi (her review is the one before mine and I dont know her... :-)) and I agree with all she wrote and how she ranked…therefore, I ‘ll be short:
1. Daniella was a great person to meet. She is a warm hostess and we liked it.
2. This place is all about its location. Nothing else. I think it’s the best location in Rome (we used the Metro once: for the Vatican). I can’t describe the feeling of waking up early, and go down the narrow street to take a pick at the Pantheon and piazza della rotonda before the great crowd starts to arrive...
There were other places in the same neighborhood, but you pay double and more. We looked on the price of a 3 starts hotel around the corner, and they charged 3 times the price we paid. If you can afford it – go ahead.
Comment: If you plan to go to bed at 9 pm then you will probably have noise from the restaurants and people walking down the street, but we usually arrived to the room around 11 pm and by that time, the street was getting calm and quite.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yftah M
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Again I see Americans complain about low standard, and "not what you would get in the US". Well, here's some news from you, you're not in the US!
Also, it says very clear that this is a B&B and NOT a hotel. You get what you choose to pay for, and I also dare to say you are welcomed as you meet people.
Daniella is a hard working young woman running this place. I felt like I was staying at a friend's house. When I checked in I was asked what time I would like breakfast, and what kind of coffe I would like.. I chose 10 a.m., and at 10 a.m. She knocked on my door and gave me breakfast served to my room. Coffe, juice, yoghurt, croissant, butter, jam and a cake.
Room was clean. My room was very small, but for 2 days this was no problem. Free aircondition and free wifi.
Rooms are in a very old building in ancient Rome, so I completely understand "no slamming of doors" and that the plumming made some noise. Nothing that bothered me though.

Thank you Daniella, and good luck with "you know what" :-)

Heidi

Room Tip: Ask not to get the smallest room :-)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Heidi69_Oslo
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The most amazing location in Rome. Right next to Pantheon and in walking distance to the Vatikan. At this location you get to hear Rome and its beautiful language. You get to smell Rome from the amazing restaurants in the streets. And you get to feel Rome and its atmosphere. The rooms here are clean and in a romantic decor with dark wooden furniture and red chiffon drapes. And the hostess Daniela and her husband Mario are just darlings. They picked us up at the airport and worked hard to keep the place nice and inviting. My mother and I have only good things to say about this place - if ever in Rome again...this is where we will stay :-)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Debbiedegn
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This small bed and breakfast was perfect for our needs. The value couldn't be beat. We were just around the corner from the Pantheon and a short walk to Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain. Everything else is a short 15 minute walk away. The place is a little difficult to find and we recommend opting for the airport pick up - the price is the same as any taxi from the airport (48 euros) but the driver knows exactly where to take you.

We stayed in a small private room with a private bathroom and it was tiny but comfortable and clean. The breakfast was simple, with pastries, juice and cappuccino but it was a great start to the day not having to worry about finding food right off the bat. We had to pay cash to stay there, which is normal for most small, privately run places.

If you want luxury, this is not your place, but if you're looking to be in the centre of historic Rome without paying the prices of the fancy hotels ($300 euros and up), this is your place!

Room Tip: Private room is small but has all the privacy and own bathroom that you need.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

For US this place at best will translate to single star. I stayed there for 2 days and have several challenges.
1. Bathroom was very small. You can not avoid hitting both sides walls while taking shower. It was clean but not up to the mark.
2. Room was bit noisy and small. Although to its credit once you lock the windows, noice drawed down.
3. It was family owned house so do not confuse it with a hotel. Picture is drawn to confuse folks.
4. It was near Pantheon but Pantheon itself is remotly located. Might have been better to get a place near central station.
5. I asked for shower gel/ soap and lady said to use the same as one provided for hand cleaning. Services were bad, not welcoming at all.
6. Rates while right, designed to confuse. They are in Euros and compared side by side with dollars. 70 Euros look lower than $100 which it is not. So choose carefully.
7. To their credit breakfast was served but nothing close to what we might expect in US. It was merely designed to fullfill requirements than to provide a real breakfast.
Would not recommend at all.

Room Tip: Avoid at best and choose Other locations instead
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank viragm
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights before we took off to Venice to catch a cruise during our honeymoon. We were not looking for anywhere fancy but not anything shady either. We just wanted a bed to sleep in and a bathroom to call our own.

I had stayed at a B&B in Rome before and my one memory was that it is very common to have shared bathrooms. When I contacted the B&B I was told that we had a room with a private bathroom which was fabulous. We couldn't have been happier.

We flew into Fiumicino and Marco was there ready to pick us up. BY the way, DEFINITELY take advantage of the transfer. Marco is very pleasant and nice and even in the rain, he helped us get our luggage and everything to the car and got us safely through the crazy streets of Rome. The cost is the same as a taxi so it is worth it specifically if you have a language barrier like we do. I can speak very broken italian but probably not enough to get me too far with a cab.

Upon arriving, Daniela was there and happy to greet us. She was pleasant and her English was great. She also speaks other languages as well which was very impressive. She gave us a run down of the place and the only downside was that the bathroom was very strange and small. The toilet made a weird noise as well as the shower but this had something to do with the way the water pumps upward and out of the building rather than down.

The noise was terrible outside of the room too but we were offered ear plugs. I just was stubborn and didn't take them. In the early morning and late at night you hear the noise of the street below. Not cars just lots of talking and cooking which is actually very nice to hear unless you are super tired from a 12 hour flight. But still this did not impede our stay.

The location was top notch though. You cannot go wrong with it at all. It was literally a minute walk from the Pantheon. My husband and I walked everywhere. Nice 20 minutes walk to the Vatican and other major locations such as the Coloseum and Roman Forum. We explored everywhere just by walking. We like to people watch too and so we would get some gelato from the local shop and go sit in the piazza and watch everyone walking around near the Pantheon. It was fabulous.

The only complaint I have which is not by any means the fault of the B&B was that I booked through Hotels.com. Their site said I could pay with credit card. Upon arrival I was told that I had to pay cash. Had I known that I would have brought more Euro so you can imagine our disappointment when we learned this fact. Daniela was very understanding though when I showed her my booking confirmation and allowed us the day to find an ATM to get cash to pay. She didn't rush us either. I wanted to take care of it right away and asked where we could get money and she advised but also made sure to let us know we did not have to worry and we can take care of it before we left.

We bonded with Daniela as she had just gotten married too. It was an amazing experience and overall I would recommend this place to anyone. Perfect place, location and hosts!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple