“Smart and funky design-led hotel close to Termini Station”

Venetia Palace Hotel
Ranked #356 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Smart and funky design-led hotel close to Termini Station”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We booked this hotel through Thomas Cook so actually doubted it would actually be there on our arrival - but that's another story though it's safe to say we'd never use Thomas Cook again...even if they were the last agent in the world!

I digress...

We were really pleased to find that the hotel was, at max, a five or six minute walk from the zoo that is Termini Station. It's fair to say that the area is not the best in Rome although it will suit you perfectly if you are coming/leaving from Termini. Restaurant choices are limited but, that said, you won't starve either. Being close to the station allows for easy pick-up of tourist buses - but caution - be prepared to stand in line, with no shade, for 30+ minutes waiting for a bus with space - this is despite assurances, when you are sold the tickets, that there is a very short wait.

Seamless check-in from a serious, but pleasant enough chap, room 302. The room was spotlessly clean with minimalist furniture and fittings - good level of comfort and decent TV and free Wi-Fi. Nice Jacuzzi bath if you like that sort of thing.

Jacuzzi on 6th floor - nice touch although quite cozy if more than a couple of users at any one time - definately worth a try.

Breakfast - Nice selection of pastries, breads for toasting (in possibly the worlds slowest toaster), good enough coffee from one of those automatic machines, OJ not quite so nice. A perfectly acceptable breakfast.

In conclusion, we'd have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again but the staff could just be a little bit more friendlier - and would have got the full 5 star rating.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 12, 2009

The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Rome Termini, the main train station in Rome. The hotel also has tour buses that pick up from the hotel. From the hotel, I was able to walk all around Rome, including to the Colosseo and the Roman Forum.

The rooms are decorated with a trendy flair -all white. The rooms are a comfortable size, with a clean modern bathroom and a balcony (very nice touch). The hotel has a jacuzzi and a Turkish sauna, which was nice. The hotel also has breakfast, which was decent -bacon, eggs, pastries, and fruit juice.

The staff was incredibly, incredibly helpful, professional and friendly and helped me enjoy my stay. The hotel is pretty pricey (150 euros per night for my room).

The location is called a little dangerous, but I did not find it so and I walked, alone, in the area at night. It is well populated. The area reminds me of the area around Penn Station in NY or Union Station in DC.

On the whole, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
London
Reviewed June 8, 2009

This hotel is really stunning - really clean & modern but also comfortable.
We were lucky enough to get an upgrade as we are on our honemoon & our room was fab! Really big - massive sunken bath behind the bed & everything was a crisp clean white.
The reception staff were very friendly & helpfull.
There is a cute jucuzzi area at the top of the hotel which is nice to catch the last of the evening sun after a tough day trekking around the shops :-)
There is also a sauna & steam area which you need to book a time slot for with reception which is a good idea really as you then get it all to yourself.
The gym was well equipt too if you wanted to use it.
The location is great if you want to be near Statzione Termini (5 min walk - great no need for taxi or metro) - a good point to be able to get the metro all over the city & beyond. But if you want to be in the heart of the shopping areas or some of the sights then this isnt really for you. It just depends what you are looking for from your stay. For example the Trevi fountain is fab but its sooo busy....i dont know if i would want to be staying right in the thick of it...
I would stay at this hotel again as it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Brande, Denmark
Reviewed April 22, 2009

The Venetia Palace Hotel is a very good choice if you prefer modern hotels. Everything is new and and clean, the service is impeccable, the breakfast quite good compared to other hotels in Rome and the location is great, if you don't mind a short walk in order to get to the main sights of the city.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
greece
Reviewed April 5, 2009

we stayed in the hotel between 23/03/09 and 27/03/09. the hotel was gorgeous! the breakfast was very good ( most hotels in rome have awful breacfast).the room was big in compare with other roman hotels, the staff was very kind( believe me they were VERY kind) and the location in my opinion, is the best because termini is the heart of public transport in rome!! next time definitely i ll stay in venetia palace!!!
( dont forget to take the open turist buses, its great fun and you can see all the monuments very easy!!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank claudio28
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2009

I stayed at the Venetia Palace Hotel from March 20th-25th despite having been warned against this part of town. There are certainly more upscale, gentrified areas of town, but this one is safe enough and conveniently located near the main terminal, from where you can go anywhere in Rome or Italy. I wouldn’t have stayed anywhere else (but I’m also a 6’8” male who was running the Rome Marathon, so I’m less likely to feel threatened, I suppose). As for the hotel itself, the Venetia Palace is superb. I arrived hours early and was helped by the delightful Mihaela, a Romanian woman with an impeccable grasp of the English language (during my stay I found all of the staff to be fluent in English). Despite being early, my room had already been prepared and I was allowed in—I was staying in a double room meant for single use, and was honestly surprised at the amenities and room. First, the bedroom; at $105 a night (off Expedia) I got the equivalency of a queen sized bed (two doubles pushed together), a decent-sized flat screen TV (20 or 27”—I’m not really sure), desk, stationary, a closet cabinet, safe, phone, free wi-fi, minibar, and a room spacious enough for me (but others may need more room. I live in a very tiny apartment, so I'm used to staying in a single room with a bathroom--it was like being home). The room was kept very clean and had turnover service each day. In order to power any and every thing in the room, it was necessary to leave your key card in a little slot by the door—an interesting detail I also found at the Albergotto, my hotel in Florence. I wish I’d taken a photo of the room now, but I was more interested in the bathroom at the time—I guess because it was my first time out of the country and Eurobathrooms are pretty different. The bathroom had a full toilet (seat too! Thank god!), toilet paper, bidet, bathtub/Jacuzzi/shower combo, towel radiator (a common amenity I found in all of my hotels and which came in quite handy during my final day in Venice), and large sink with a plethora of different-sized towels underneath it. Simply put, it was an impressive room.
Having never used a European shower before, I burned and froze myself a few times before figuring out the top knob turned the water on while the bottom one adjusted the heat of it. The shower head in the Venetia Palace hotel was stationary and sprayed jets of water down which could sometimes be painful—usually only if you tried to wash your face. Imagine having big angry bolts of water being thrust at your eyeballs and you’ll see what I mean. The breakfast the hotel offered was amazing. It had eggs, bacon, several kinds of bread, delicious croissant-pastries, three kinds of cereal, fruits, coffee, tea, orange juice, yogurt, and water. I couldn’t ask for more—especially considering how awful American hotel breakfasts usually are. The hotel also had a Turkish bath/sauna, gym (which I used every morning), and meeting rooms. Although the gym is not all-encompassing, I found the precor unit very useful in keeping with my daily fitness, and really appreciated its existence.
My routine in Rome was this: wake up around 10 or 11, go see some ruins/museums, eat around 6 or 7, take a nap until about 10:30, then go down to Campo dei Fiori, the American bar hotspot, and party until 2 in the morning. The staff of the Venetia Palace lock the door to the hotel sometime after midnight, but there was always somebody waiting at reception to let me in, no matter how late I arrived back (and believe me—I came back LATE some nights! One time at 3:45!). After a few days I fell in love with Rome and decided to cancel my 2-day plans for Naples/Capri for 2 more days in Rome, and the hotel was happy to extend my stay with no problems. They stored my luggage until I left for Florence at six on my final day in Rome, and were very warm and welcoming during my entire stay. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a place to stay in Rome—it’s a definite gem in the Termini section of town, and is pretty cheap by Euro-hotel standards!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank JzeroT1937
devon
Reviewed February 25, 2009

stayed here for 4 nights - room was brillant!

location - 5 mins walk from the main termini/metro and 20mins to the coleseum.

breakfast - everything you could want - bread, cheese, ham, ceral , fruit, eggs, coffee, juice, yoghurt.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple