“Location, location, location”
Review of At Your Place

At Your Place
Ranked #46 of 3,779 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2014

There is already a lot of information here so I will try to fill in the gaps to help other travelers.

My mom and I stayed five nights here in mid May. The B&B is located on the fifth floor in the building. When you enter the "lobby" of the building you must climb two sets of stairs to reach the elevator. The elevator is small but enough room for four people or two with luggage. After reaching the the fifth floor you must climb some more stairs and then go down some more stairs before you reach the B&B. I mention the stairs because if you have mobility issues this can be a challenge. My mom had knee surgery several years back and the stairs were a little challenge for her plus she sprained her ankle in Paris prior to arriving in Rome.

The room we stayed in was called the Castellano room (I think I got the name right) it was a spacious room with two beds (a third roll a way bed was stored away as a chair in the corner) This was a double room (two separate beds) and each bed was the size of a single bed in the U.S., so yes very small. It had a beautiful balcony. The bathroom was average size with a shower that water would pool up near the drain but would eventually drain. The rooms were cleaned daily but the towels were changed every three days. The room had a desk and chair to write your postcards back home and a small tv. The tv received a handful of english speaking channels, mainly financial news services.Now the location was great. Ten minute walk to St Peters Square. Fifteen minutes to the Metro. Lots of great restaurants and gelato shops.

The main reason we came to Rome was that my mom wanted to visit the Vatican. She had been here years before when on a cruise but didn't have much time to see much. For the price and location this was a great find. Luca was very helpful. He made a large breakfast every morning.

Pros Location to the Vatican
Great neighborhood
Metro within walking distance
Great BIG breakfast every morning
Luca was kind and helpful
Restaurant and gelato and post office and banks nearby.
Tour bus stop five minute walk down the street

Cons Cash only
Lots of steps to get to the B&B door

This is a great place to stay. If you have real bad mobility issues it may be hard with all the stairs. I wish Luca would have mentioned in one of the five emails we sent to each other that this was a CASH only place. I do know that some B&B require a cash payment but just having stayed at a B&B in Paris that was not a issue there and were happy to process our c/c. I only mention this because I support my travel with my c/c points and luckily it was at the end of our trip and I had the cash available. No where on the B&B website is this mentioned.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This B&B is located about a half block from Castel San Angelo and two blocks from St. Peter's and the Vatican. Everything but the Colosseum can easily be reached by foot. Our room had a little balcony overlooking a very quiet street. The area felt safe too. The central location was absolutely perfect for our Roman holiday.

The B&B is just one floor of a large, old building. The inside is labyrinthine so be sure to email the owner the time you plan to arrive so he can meet you downstairs and direct you inside. There is a small plaque by the door with the B&B's name so you know you're in the correct spot. Once inside, there is one tiny, old elevator. However, there are two small flights of stairs that cannot be bypassed by the elevator. Keep that in mind if stairs are challenging for you.

The owner was friendly without being overbearing. He served huge breakfasts each morning. We'd save a breakfast pizza or sandwich to eat later for lunch. He also offered many spot-on recommendations for traditional Roman food.

The B&B is small with only about 4 or 5 rooms. Our room was bigger than the average European hotel room. The bed was firm but decent. The decor was very simple, but the rooms were clean. One day we noticed a slight unpleasant smell from the bathroom drain. The next morning a plumber stopped by to fix a nearby bathroom, and I think that resolved our odor issue too.

We used the private car service recommended by At Your Place for travel to and from the airport. It was more expensive than public transit, but very easy and convenient. The driver didn't speak English. He was professional though and dropped us off right in front of the B&B. We would use his car service again.

Overall, this B&B has spoiled me. I have yet to find another accommodation in any European metropolis that compares to At Your Place - it was safe, reliable, and affordable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TT_ND
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I just stayed here for 3 days for JP2 and John 23rd's canonization.This is the best place to stay in Rome. They make you a delicious massive breakfast and help you with all of your needs for navigating the city. They are there to help you in all needs also. The room was very clean. Free wifi and very close to the Vatican- St. Peter's square (5 mins away)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We visit Rome; me and my wife; for honeymoon(8 days). We stayed "At my Place" all days; only 1 day we visit Florence. Only one day we used Metro or bus; it was when we visited the Catacombs. All the other days we walked to any place we were interested to. St.Peters square; villa Borghese; Colosseum; Pantheon; Piazza Venezia and the Capitolio; the National Museum; Fontana di Trevi; Plazza Navona; etc all places anyone wants to visit are so near that you reach them in less than half an hour walking by foot. Luca gave us a little map of Rome Historical Center and we managed to visit them all. He made every day a great breakfast and gave us information for everything(places; tickets; food; etc).The place was quite; the room clean and Luca very friendly and helpful. It was great holidays. Giannis B - Chrisoula S.

Room Tip: Room "Borgo" was perfect
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Loved the fact that it's so close to St. Peter's square. Only about a 10 minute walk! The rooms were very clean and we felt safe. Breakfast was very good. Luca was a wonderful host and very helpful with information about the city as I have never been to Italy before. He also got us tickets for Palm Sunday mass free of charge. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Traveled with my sisters recently without really knowing much about the accommodations that had been made by one of them. She travels a lot and was treating us, so I knew I was in good hands, and I was right! The location, hotel and host were perfect. We were within walking distance anywhere we wanted to go. The food was quite good too! I can highly recommend a stay at "AT YOUR PLACE"!

Christine

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My sisters and I stayed here occupying two rooms for five nights. You could not get a better location if you want to be near the Vatican. Also walking distance to almost all the sites in Rome.
Luca is an amazing host, he was eager to share info about the Roman culture and help us with any information about the area we needed. Luca also got us tickets to the Popes audience on Wednesday and Palm Sunday mass no charge no problem! Breakfast was fantastic (enough to save some for lunch later in the day) and he even packed us a to go bag one morning when we left to early to eat in. The B&B is on the fifth floor of an older apartment building with a lift. The building and apartment is a little tired but loaded with character, we loved the charm. Loved the area, we all felt very safe.
Thank you Luca for making our week special!