“Great alternative to Italian food in Rome”
Review of Tapa Loca - CLOSED

Tapa Loca
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I stumbled on this restaurant down one of the thousands of a little roads in Rome. We were happy to see an alternative to the usual pasta and pizza. we had a great meal that was not expensive.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

Like most tourists we can only eat so much pasta and pizza...and in Rome there is not much else. But this place was full of young Romans and students from abroad with a lively atmosphere and solid menu.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

I live in Rome and come here whenever I fancy tapas. My husband and I always order the TapaLoca platter - it's a huge platter of about 8 different dishes, mostly hot, but also with a little ham and cheese. It's €25 for the platter but one is definitely enough for a full meal for two - we are always too full after this for anything else. The wine list is good and reasonably priced (€£10-€12 for a decent bottle of Spanish wine that costs 6-7 in the supermarket), the staff have always been friendly, efficient and not too pushy; the tables are a good size to take large platters, and the atmosphere is excellent (long wood bar where you can also just have a drink), vintage Spanish posters on the walls, hams hanging over the bar. It's just the right side of Spanish but not too tacky. Highly recommended. PS it's only open in the evenings but from December it'll be open at lunchtimes too.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Tapa Loca serves Spanish food in a sea of Italian restaurants. The restaurant was not overly crowded when we went. It was average in all regards, we found it to be a little expensive for the quality of food we received. It was not a memorable experience.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We've been in Italy now for 2 weeks and - don't get me wrong, I love pasta and pizza, but one can only handle so many carbs - I needed a small meal consisting mainly of veggies. Enter Tapa Loca, the ONLY place that doesn't have someone outside in the alley trying to convince you to come in and eat... and about the only place that we've had vegetarian options that don't include tons of oil, cheese or bread. We enjoyed the spinach annd pine nuts and the potatoes sauteed with mint as well as mojitos and sangria... and also thorroughly enjoyed people watching in a busy but out of the way alley. I plan on returning in the next week or so for sure!