“A great find”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our last night in Rome we wanted a meal that was memorable - stopped a man walking a Vespa into his courtyard and asked for suggestions. This was his pick and it was a gem. It is far from fancy, but far from ordinary. Every table was reserved that evening - spare the one left for us and for good reason. The food was amazing, service friendly and price affordable. We enjoyed every bite and every moment.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Da Lucia is a small family restaurant, hidden on a street in Trastevere. We had a great experience here: gnocchi and basil pasta, wine and music. This Trattoria really offers you a trully italian experience during your stay in Rome. It is simple and clean, but with great food and kind people. In addition to that, you have the chance to enjoy a walk through Transtevere, while searching for the restaurant.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

An internet search for "Best Trattoria in Trastevere" returned a review saying "My favourite restaurant in Rome, it is owned by a famous ex-boxer and family run. There are pictures are up on the wall of the owners boxing past. A very traditional place to eat, in the summer you can sit outside. This is always our choice for our first and last meal when we visit Rome, two excellent pasta dishes are "Cacio e Pepe and Penne Alla Grecia".

Well, I wish I had read real reviews on TripAdvisor. I know there's a mixed bag of reviews for this place, but any decent dining establishment should be receiving consistently good reviews.

By all means check out my other reviews - I'm by no means fussy, but this place made me feel like a second-class citizen. Hubby and I arrived at around 8pm which is well before the peak hour in Italy. We didn't even look inside because there were vacant tables outside and we chose to sit at one of those. We were seated next to a table of people including children who wanted to customise each part of the menu - I don't know whether that impacted badly on the mood of the waiter or not, but I shouldn't have been punished as a result of it. When we eventually attracted the attention of a waiter we were asked for our orders before we'd even received menus. I asked for menus and promptly ordered a beer and a litre - or 750ml - whichever was the biggest carafe they had. (Hubby likes to start with a beer and then we share the wine.) The drinks arrived about 20 minutes after ordering them and instead of a large carafe I got a small 250ml one. I think they must have "presumed" that I'd ordered incorrectly. Our meals were bland but edible. We ordered primi and secondi and the contorno of "seasonal vegetables" which was the tiniest bowl of pickled cucumber-like vegetables - very odd for "seasonal vegetables". The secondi were served about 2 minutes after the primi plates. Again disappointing - perhaps they were trying to rush us out so that they could seat more people when we left. We weren't offered more drinks when our glasses were empty but I managed to track down a young lady waiter who seemed inconvenienced that I'd interrupted her but she did bring us some more drinks. We weren't shown a dessert menu after having well finished our meals and our second round of drinks, so we asked for the bill, promptly paid and left. Disappointed. Thank goodness this wasn't the start of our Italian adventure or it would have made me think all places cared about their customers as least as this.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was invited here by friends who are regulars, and the restaurant is a small locale, family owned and on a characteristic lane in old Trastevere. I eat a starter of anchovies and a main dish of squid with peas. It was fine, nothing to be ecstatic about, not awesome as americans would say, but just decent food. The service was fine and friendly and I would happily go back. The four of us spent €20 each. Recommended but not a place I would lose sleep over.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

On a rainy afternoon walking the streets of Rome my friend and I stumbled upon Da Lucia. We both enjoyed the house wine and cheese and pepper capellini. The food was tasty and the location was convenient. I particularly enjoyed the bread and wine on the rainy day. Our waiter was very nice and knowledgeable about the area. While this was not my most favorite meal in Rome, it was still pretty good and very affordable.

Been to Trattoria da Lucia? Share your experiences!