“Vatican museum tour - some organisational issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Romaround Tours

Romaround Tours
Ranked #273 of 763 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: When in Rome do Romaroundtours.....Romaround Tours has friendly, knowledgeable, enthusiastic tour guides, All guides have academic experience from Europe and North America, giving you, the customer, the best and most informed tours.Romaround Tours will show you Rome the Roman way.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Canberra
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Vatican museum tour - some organisational issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I did a guided tour with Elaine. First of all I want to say that she was a FANTASTIC guide. She was very engaging and enthusiastic, answered all questions really well and kept the group together very well.

However, there are some things that I didn't like about this company. The tour was supposed to start at 2pm but we didn't leave until 2.30 because some people hadn't shown up. They never did. Whilst I understand that people can be running late, I really think that 15 minutes is the maximum that a tour should wait for them. Its not fair on everyone else to have to wait for them, especially when most of us were there at 1.45 as were told to arrive 15 minutes early.

Also, on the website it states that the Raphael Rooms are visited but they aren't. This may not be a problem for everyone but I really think that they are worth the visit. I ended up going back to see them and they were incredible but I felt that I missed something by not having a guide to explain what I was seeing. But it can be hard to get back to them at the end of the tour. You end in the Sistene Chapel. I was told to retrace my steps and would find them. Well...they don't let you backtrack through the Chapel because of the crowds. Thus I had to almost completely exit the museum, then go right through them again to get to the rooms - quite a pain.

Anyway if you don't mind missing the Raphael Rooms (or going back yourself) it is a great tour.

Visited January 2014

Zebbug, Malta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very Good Vatican Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had an excellent tour guide (Sllvia) that knows her work excellently. She knows the English language very well and can answer any question/s. She is very well informed about the paintings and any art work of the Vatican museums and court yards in which she explains very well during the tour. I really recommend this tour because it is very interesting.

Janice (from Malta)

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good trivia, great fun and super friendly :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was searching online for a tour guide called Mark Antony (yes, I didn't make that up!) who took us around The Forum a couple of years ago, and I came across Romaround Tours. Mark wasn't working there anymore, but we were booked with Silvia to see the Vatican. Silvia knows her stuff - especially art, and you know that when she talks about the Sistine Chapel or when she's showing you around in the Museum. But it isn't just art - there was enough trivia to keep us interested, and she knows her history, and even threw in some contemporary Italian politics for good measure! A very fun and family friendly good tour, highly recommended.

Visited November 2013
CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Vatican Museum Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were approached by many English-speaking individuals (some sketchy looking) trying to sell us Vatican tour packages right when we got off the bus at Vatican City. We arrived in the late afternoon and finally gave into this one guy telling us that he would give us the best deal for the last tour of the day.

From St. Peter's Square, he led us to the outside streets, and then we started to think that we were getting scammed (why were we walking so far?), but we ended up at the Romaround office where a couple others were waiting for the tour to get started. We paid, got a receipt, our stickers, and were on our way. Our tour guide was Silvia and she knew EVERYTHING. She was the walking Wikipedia of the Vatican - filled with so much information. She even gave us suggestions for places to eat. From the office to the museum, she was already giving us the history of Vatican City.

As promised, we did skip the long line, along with other tour groups. I do have to say that the tour was exhausting. It was a little over two hours, with lots of walking, and lots of art and just when you think you're by the Sistine Chapel, you're not! We ended up catching the last part of the daily mass at St. Peter's Basilica so that was a treat.

Based on other reviews, seems that the Romaround Tour can be hit or miss based on who your guide is. With our guide, I really felt like we got our money's worth.

Visited October 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Tour EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Laura, our tour guide, was absolutely amazing! My daughter and I booked a private tour with Romaround, requesting "Rome in a day"... a major task. Therese was my contact as we planned our tour months in advance, and she was very helpful in recommending highlights we should include in our six hour tour. We were not disappointed! Laura met us at Romaround's office and we promptly departed for the Vatican (skipping the line). The Pope was going to have a mass that afternoon so she rearranged the order of our tour in order to maximize our opportunities as they were available. We not only had privileged entrances but she took us around places that we would have missed completely. Laura was very knowledgeable about Rome's history and the history of the Vatican, and for six hours she taught us probably two college courses worth of that history. After the Vatican museum, St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistene Chapel, we went to the Colosseum and spent the remainder of our time exploring the amazing ancient ruins. Laura showed us so many fascinating sites (again, she shared with us things we would never have realized). The city of Rome took on such a deeper meaning thanks to her expertise and her willingness to share her knowledge. I HIGHLY recommend this tour company - they delivered beyond our wildest expectations. Oh, and I should also mention that Laura was friendly and polite and considerate, and obviously well known and respected in the various places we visited.

Visited October 2013