“Very good food, very good value”
Review of Dar Bruttone

Dar Bruttone
Ranked #1,481 of 12,362 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Gavle, Sweden
“Very good food, very good value”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

People who don't like to try different food, don't bother! If you like a genuine Roman food experience, with full flavoured delicious food, you must try this restaurant.

We went twice and tried the saltimbocca, which was excellent. Also the antipasto bruschetta, tomato soup (very thick), buffalo mozzarella was delicious. My husband had a pasta with spinach that he liked very much. I had large meatballs which had a lovely rich flavour. Wine came in pitchers of a quarter or half a litre, or a litre. Good price. For dessert we tried a cheesecake, which was really nice, and a creamy dessert which was excellent. A second night we had a full on chocolate cake and a pear tart in filo pastry, both very very nice.

Both locals and tourists were enjoying this place. We just dropped in one night and reserved one night, with no problems at all.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Aili H

• Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good local restaurant”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We shared the antipasto misto, which included a mixed bruschetta and a large plate of prosciuttio with the best and freshest mozzarella we had in Rome. It also included a dish of tripe, which is more of an acquired taste! Mains and desserts less memorable, but good. The place is very popular with locals, and booking is recommended. We went at 8pm, when they open. It filled quickly after that. Service a bit brisk - they clearly wanted the table back. €60 for 3 courses with wine.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Kevin S
“Best Italian food ever.”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I just had dinner at this osteria and I can surely say this is the best Italian food I've ever eaten! Carbonara with truffle was the best I've ever tasted and I don't think I would get to eat such awesome carbonara again. Service was excellent as they took the time to explain everything they offered that day to us in English because we spoke close to none Italian. Also Try the "roman cola" of which it's true name I have forgotten it is delicious and something I don't think you can get easily. This is really the best Italian food ever even though I've eaten at some really expensive and famous Italian restaurants before!

2 Thank Dkaan
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Only interested in tourists when they have no reservations?”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We had tried to eat here a couple of times but when the shutters are down there is no sign of opening times, we went in tonight just after 7 and stood there for a few minutes before we were even acknowledged, there were a few tables with reservations on them but not all. They had a surly attitude and told us they don't open until 8. I'm not sure how the tourists who wrote reviews found them friendly...I imagine tourists are their best friend when they need the business only.
Much friendlier places out there, even as a tourist we should be treats respectfully and not like we don't matter.
I had to mark everything with a score so I won't for average to make a point.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Excellent, honest local food!”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The waiter explained the entire menu to us in English. The food was served quickly. I have never had such a delicious Carbonara and my partner really enjoyed his spaghetti! We paid 30 euros for 2 mains, drinks and desserts. We went back for more but were turned away on our second visit as it is very popular with the locals. Turn up early or ask your hotel to make a reservation for you to avoid disappointment. A MUST TRY restaurant!

Visited October 2011