“Best for location, value and friendly staff.”
Review of Blue Hostel

Blue Hostel
Ranked #2 of 1,169 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The location is excellent, just a few blocks from the main train station and subway stops. We always felt safe walking back to the hostel after dark. The rooms are clean and the staff friendly. Hopefully I will be back to Rome and if so, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Blue Hostel in September for 3 nights. The hostel (which is of hotel standard but doesn't have a lift) was a convenient walk from Termini train station (about 10mins) and is located near a supermarket. I rang the intercom and was greeted by Massimo. We walked up a few flights of stairs and he showed me a lovely room with ancient ceilings and a very modern bathroom. The furnishings were comfortable and there was a little bar fridge and plastic cutlery if you wanted to store food in the room. The room was airconditioned, althouh I rarely used it as the room had a balcony and I left the doors open for airflow. The area was very quiet but still close to all the touristy things to see. One thing I really liked was that Massimo handed me a map of Rome which is usual but he had added additional things to see on it and also recommendations for places to eat/drink. I tried out several of his suggestions which are slightly off the tourist path and the food was always superior to the usual tourist haunts and significantly cheaper. I really enjoyed my stay at Blue Hostel and would happily recommend it to anyone travelling to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hostel is located centrally and our room was quit. We had a tidy room with TV and WIFI (which did only work in front of the door). The staff was very helpful but the bed was awfully hard, and the (bath) room too small.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
mirmecobio, Proprietario at Blue Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Dear Guests,
we hare very sorry that you didn't find the mattress comfortable. One of our rooms has a very expensive handmade wool mattress. Some guests love it, some other hate it. However, we understand that this mattress i snot suitable to everybody, therefore we have decided to change it to a new regular mattress. We are very sorry that this matter has affected your stay with us and consequently your feedback about Bluehostel. We will be happy to have another chance and host you at another time at Bluehostel.
Thank you!
Ercole

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I want I want I want to write amazing things and to rate Blue Hostel 5 stars across the board but unfortunately the bed, which makes up for 8 hours of every 24 hrs in the stay was horrible!! If you're not planning on sleeping at Blue Hostel it's fantastic! Great location, close to colosseum and metro stop for Vatican and Spanish steps.
Ricardo was a fantastic help on our arrival, providing comprehensive maps ( the Blue Hostel map is great!) and advice on eats, also lifting my mammoth case up 4 flights of stairs. Oh yeh that's the other thing, 4 flights of stairs, no lift. But we needed the exercise so it was good for us.
The room is lovely, nicely decorated, small fridge, aircon, wifi... But the bed. Oh my goodness bad. It's rock hard. Like 'go to the cupboard put the spare duvet underneath you so your ribs aren't digging into the wooden frame underneath you' bad. Perhaps it was just this room?!
We had 4 nights here before the 26 hour long haul flight back to Australia, so a good bed was a must!
Either way we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, assuming the mattresses were ever replaced with one of double thickness, I'd happily stay again and recommend to fellow travellers.
We also had help from the manager to print out a revised e-ticket for our upgraded business class flights home. (We upgraded whilst reading an email on the bed, so we were an easy target). :)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
mirmecobio, Proprietario at Blue Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2014

Ciao!
We have now changed all mattresses to brand new quality Simmons mattresses.
I am sorry that you found the old mattress very uncomfortable. It was actually a super expensive handmade mattress but I have to admit too hard to please everyone.
Please come back to the Bluehostel and give us another chance!
Thank you!
Ercole

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hostel lives up to previous reviews and beyond. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable, while the bathroom - always a big worry when travelling - was perfect.
Ricardo met us at the door, taking our bag up the 3 flights of stairs (no lift, that's the only downside when you get back after a long day's walk!) and took us through the city with their really helpful map full of hints and tips. So friendly and welcoming. There's a mini fridge in the room as well, which was very useful. So were the 2 corkscrews!
The beds are a little firm, but we had 3 perfect nights' sleep.
It's located just 15-20 mins walk from the Collosseum and the historic centre: it's never a problem to walk through such a beautiful city. A taxi over to Trastavere for the evening was under 10euros.
Book this now. There's no better place to stay in Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidEasson
Reviewed September 30, 2013

After countless hours of researching a gazillion different hostels and hotels, I had made the decision to book Blue Hostel for our first night in Rome. Due to the nature of our trip, we would return to Rome mid-trip for one night and again the last night of our trip. We wanted to try other places but I couldn't find anything that I liked more than Blue Hostel for the price we were willing to pay. I booked our last night at Blue Hostel but wasn't fortunate enough to get a reservation for the mid-trip stay. A few weeks prior to the commencement of our trip, I realized I booked the wrong date for our first night in Rome. I checked availability and was out of luck. Blue Hostel was booked solid! BOOO! (However, i found that to be a good sign).
Ya-di ya-di ya-da,... we finally reached the last night of our trip and by God, this indeed was the best place we stayed of our 3 nights in Rome! I was very pleased to see that the pictures are exactly how the rooms looked. Nothing irritates me more than superimposed pictures! We requested a triple room with 3 separate beds but were given a double and a twin. I asked Ercole if the triple single beds weren't available and he said no. No big deal; we're girls, we manage. Ercole excused himself for a moment and came back to let us know that he had another room available if we wanted it. At first, I misunderstood him and thought he DID have a triple with three separate beds but no, he had a single. He offered to give us the single, free of charge, in addition to the triple room!!!! REALLY????? Who does this?!? Awesome people like Ercole!!
The rooms were very comfortable, clean and, for the most part, quiet. We felt extremely safe with the massive deadbolts on both the entrance door to our "wing" and to our room.
Ercole was also extremely helpful and recommended a GREAT restaurant off the beaten path where the locals go and that's exactly what we were looking for, for our last night of our trip.
The only downside I would say is that if you're sleeping and another guest comes in through the main door to your "wing", the door is very loud. But that would NOT deter me from staying here again - that's what earplugs are for!
What a great experience!! Thank you Ercole!!

Room Tip: Great place to stay near Termini. No elevator but Ercole was a superstar and carried our luggage up...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JPizzle75
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was a perfect place to stay. Rome has changed a lot in the last ten years since I visited and even though this was close to Termini Station (3 blocks away) and I was somewhat ambivalent, it was actually very convenient and the area is interesting and pleasant. Ercole is exactly who you want to greet you and send you off. The rooms were pleasant, very clean and cute and extremely quiet. Ah bella, Roma: I cannot wait to return and stay at the Blue Hostel! P.S. Don't let the name (hostel) fool you.

Room Tip: There are several floors (no elevator at the moment), but luckily the staff helps with luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family