“Basic clean accommodation and excellent position for travelling around”
Review of La casa dell'arte

La casa dell'arte
Ranked #973 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed May 26, 2011

A lovely lady greated me after a difficult journey to Rome
5th floor apartments very clean and tidy.
breakfast very basic but for cost of room dont expect more.
Although area looks abit rundown turn right as you come out of apartments cross over the crossroads and the restaurants and area improve
Room overlooked main street and was quite noisey so if you sleep light be prepared

3mins from termini station gving great acces to rome via metro and all buses

Room Tip: ask for room not overlooking high street
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank glynsalmon

Reviewed May 10, 2011

It is about an apartment in the 5th floor of an old building.The apart' has been renovated in full.There is not a lounge or a dining room not even a kitchen for use.The breakfast is served at the room.The most important is that they have missed to insulate the walls and doors against noises/voices.
However, the apart' has a pleasant and clean environment.The room has a T.V. mini-refrigerator, airconditioning,and the w.c. dimensions are: 1.5x1.5 m with shower.(Remember to bring your shampoo, cosmetics etc...)
The view is on the yard adjusted to the street and faces the next building of the yard.
It is located next to the main train station of Rome,the metro (subway),tram and bus lines.
There is not stuff in duty apart from the morning hours .Arivals better to be from 08.00-20.30 and after 13.00 by apointment.After 20.30pm,they charge € 10 .-
The breakfast is poor but good to start the day.If you need something more, buy for yourself and store it at the refrigerator in the room.
Mrs Alexandra speaks a little English, her mother not ,but finally there is comunication for the basics at least..
Payment in full in advance (first day of arival).
I would recomend this B&B for those who are traveling under an economical basis and spend the most of their time out of the ''hotel''.Parking not available but I do not recomend to have a car in Rome since transportation is good.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2011

If you don't want to have any problems related to your stay in Rome, DO NOT CHOOSE THIS HOTEL. I have made sure of it personally. First, the day before my arrival I wrote a letter to the staff where I specified my flight's number and estimated time of the arrival at the hotel (about 20.30). Unfortunately, my wife and I received our luggage at the airport with considerable delay and came to the hotel at 20.55. We ringed the bell, but nobody answered us. There were no staff at the hotel! It was our first time in Rome, and we were forced to seek another hotel for one night (and to pay 80 euro for this). The next morning we came to La Casa, its owner was on her place, and she said to us that she had waited for us the night before till 21.00 (it was not true, because we came at 20.55!), and then... went home. Moreover, she forced us to pay the full sum (including the night already paid by us at another hotel!), repeating many time: "It's your problem, not mine!"; and saying that we must pay in any case, because we had already confirmed our reservation, and if not, she threatened us to call the police! Second, her welcoming was extremely poor,she behaved as if we were somehow obliged to her. Third, at the main page of the official site of La Casa it is said: "We offer a traditional Italian breakfast which consists of croissants, biscuits, various jams, butter, nutella, coffee, cappuccino, tea, hot chocolate and fruit juices". But during our stay (6 days) we were receiving for breakfast ONE croissant, ONE biscuit, ONE jam, ONE nutella, ONE tea or coffee for a person and NO BUTTER, HOT CHOCOLATE OR FRUIT JUICES AT ALL. Tea and coffee were almost cold, and we had the impression that they were diluted with warm tap water. Finally, the staff gave to us no information about the city's museums and events which is contrary to what is said at the site. There were also some other minor negative points related to this hotel. So, if I come to Rome next time, I will NEVER stay there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank pavryk
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I'm not sure where all the negative reviews are coming from. Not sure if people haven't done their research so don't know what sort of property they are coming to. I was somewhat nervous about what to expect given 2 extremely negative reviews posted after we had booked but before we had got there. If you read the posts here and know that Alexandra does not live on the property so you have to make sure you give her a time you are arriving and stick to it or let her know ahead of time it has changed and accept at the very cheap price you are paying that breakfast is not going to be a wondrous feast but does cover the basics then this place is just fine.

We were a bit unsure of exactly what time we would be arriving due to the fact we were dropping our rental car at Rome airport after a week's sightseeing but Alexandra made it very clear to us ahead of time that we needed to give her a firm time of arrival so that she could be there to meet us. So we set a time that we knew we would definitely be able to be there (barring catastrophes). As it was we got to the airport earlier than expected so texted Alexandra to see if we could bring our arrival time forward by a couple of hours. She was very prompt in replying and advised us unfortunately she couldn't be there earlier. No problem, we knew the deal ahead of time. We spent the time having a snack and people watching.

For those worried about the area the B&B is in...yes it is not in the best neighbourhood but it is extremely close to Termini station and there are 2 restaurants very close to it with tables on the footpath so if you're a bit early either kill time at Termini Station at the cafe there or wait beside one of the restaurants and you will be fine. Alexandra was extremely prompt arriving exactly on the agreed time. I'm not sure if us ringing the doorbell just prior to arrival prompted this or it was coincidence (I suggest you ring it in case).

Our room was very clean, our bathroom very small - as were all our accommodations in Italy, and Alexandra very helpful answering all our questions happily. We heard no doorbells ringing through the night and had a very good night's sleep here (both nights we were there). The location was a great starting point for getting to all the famous city centre locations we were interested in other than the Vatican. We didn't get there this trip but from my reading I believe the Metro from Termini station would get you there easily.

My advice to those that complained about the breakfast - don't expect the Ritz at the price you are paying. Yes the breakfast is basic and the coffee not great but there are plenty of cheap food options nearby if you don't want to eat it...and you will have still saved money compared to what you'd pay elsewhere.

In summary, if you are realistic about what you are getting for the price you are paying and are only there for a few nights, this place is just fine. I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwidreamer
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I was amazed, how precise was the previous report about this B&B!
Indeed, at the 1st night about midnight someone started to ring door bell
and it sounded like a fire alarm, dirty coffee cups served at the
breakfast. Actually, it is not B&B in american sense, rather apartment
rent room by room, with no living room and no access to kitchen.
Important, the host doesn't
live at the apartment, just come on the time people arrive or depart. So,
check everything immediately after you get the keys! In my room linen had
dirty spots and looked like it was ironed but not washed, it was changed
on my request only at the next morning. Also my room had all the stuff
like air conditioning, TV and even fridge but only fridge was working.
Overall I think a habit to keep stuff clean either available from the
beginning or never comes. The only good point for this apartment was its
price 40 euro/night (equal 10 cups of capuccino in a tourist place). But
keep in mind there are extra charges: 20 euro (1/2 price) if you come
after 10pm and 2 euro for luggage storage. I didn't used the last 2
options, so don't know how do they really work.
I'd not recommend this apartment. Though, probably one should not expect
a high service quality for this price (and overall low rating). I admit,
I'm biased, other hotels I stayed in were better but at the same time
they were more than double price of this one.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2010

It was safe, super-clean, quiet, astonishingly close to the train station, and very reasonably priced. Alessandra, the manager, really took care of my mom and I while we were there, offering great advice and looking up what she couldn't answer. We stayed twice - at the beginning of our trip and on the way out. Our first room was smallish, but reasonably sized. At the end of our trip Alessandra was nice enough to put us (at our promised 50 euro price) into a room that normally goes for 150 euro. This place is simply fantastic. I could almost spit from the front door to the train station, it was so close. If I'm ever back in Rome, there's no searching for hotels for me.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Up to this trip to Rome I got to know the Italian people very friendly and helpful (I visit Italy several times a year and also have some friends living there). So I was really taken aback meeting this unfriendly lady in casa del'arte not!!!
Although I told her the time of my arrival weeks before my arrival (by e-mail) she claimed not to have known about my arrival time (there is no reception in this accomodation). My knowledge of the Italian language (acquired at school, by traveling to Italy and through my friends who are native speakers) was sufficient to converse with the Roman people but one - with the lady in this accomodation it was neither possible to talk to neither in Italien, nor English or German. According to the hotel description the accomodation offers a luggage deposit for 2€ --> this information is not true! Instead the lady referred me in a quite unfriendly tone to the luggage deposit in stazione termini.
Location: only a few steps from the metro and bus station; but the homeless people gather around the hotel all day drinking schnaps and at nights you have to reckon to get awakend by the bell (of course I didn't open the door, but I guess the homeless people tried to get into the warmth)
Breakfast: a cracker, a croissant and coffee (thermos flask) served outside the room because the establishment has no breakfast room. coffee was sometimes ok, sometimes absolutely unenjoyable. once they seemed to have forgotten to do the washing up because the day after I could find remainings of the coffee in the cup.
I could proceed my list with negative impressions but I guess this description gives you an expression what awaits you there. To sum up, I can say Rome is a beautiful city (December is perfect for sight-seeing!) with great sights and friendly people and I am sure to return there soon - but next time I definitly won't choose case del'arte!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo