“Excellent Roman Kosher - even better off hours”
Review of Nonna Betta

Nonna Betta
Reserve with
Nonna Betta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,324 of 12,469 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ghetto
Description: Nonna Betta - kosher style cuisine is an authentic Roman Jewish restaurant. Traditional dishes handed down by grandmother Betta are prepared express, using only seasonal ingredients. Among these, our famous fried platters, well loved for their feather-light texture. Aside from the variety with which they rotate, the oil employed for frying is used exclusively for cooking fresh vegetables and cod fillets only, that is never crustaceans or mollusks (that are prohibited) nor frozen products, which are totally missing from our pantry. The restaurant is cozy and pleasant. On the walls are large reproductions of art depicting vignettes of daily life in the Rome Jewish Ghetto before the late 1800s demolitions. In this place, immersed in a relaxed and welcoming setting, you can relive the stories of the Ghetto, and perhaps find answers to questions you "never dared to ask" regarding the Jewish culture, religion or the 2000 year-old presence of Jews in Rome.
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent Roman Kosher - even better off hours”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The restaurant knows how to leverage on its recent publicity, as demonstrated by the prominent display of Anthony Bourdain and TripAdvisor posters by the entry. We wondered if the sudden notoriety had spoiled the overall quality, but that was not the case at all.
We showed up at an odd time - 4 PM on a cold winter Sunday, in between lunch and dinner, there was only 1 table at the end of their meal. As a result, we had the place to ourselves, without the typical crowd and competition to get a table.
Excellent carciofi alla Giudia, don't forget the fried zucchini flowers, and marinated sliced zucchini. Greatly recommended: tagliolini with cacio e pepe with cicoria (chicory), a perfect balance of salty, spice, and bitterness.
Overall, I greatly recommend this place for great Roman kosher cuisine, especially off hours!

• Visited February 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santiago, Chile
“if you want to check the roman-jewish tradition, go there”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was born in Rome, spent there almost 40 years, and then moved abroad. Although I'm not a Jew, every time I return back to Rome I visit the roman Ghetto and the nearby ancient roman ruins promptly accessible (toward the Teatro Marcello). I love the place, the people, and his sad history. I want also to read the many marble plates remembering the horror of the Nazi deportation.

This time, at the end of my visit, I decided to have lunch somewhere and choosen this little place with my family of 3 people. There are many Restaurant in a row. Many new, some very old. This was looking as the typical, old-style, roman "trattoria" and the Kosher menu' exposed looked quite genuine (unlike others).

I found Nonna Betta nothing REALLY special, but this is exactly what I was looking for! something old-style, traditional, proposing the typical simple-but-articulated kosher food typical of this suburb of Rome. I was in particular in search of good "Carciofi alla Giudia" (a traditional way to cook the roman artchokes), something I tried several time to prepare at home failing all way long... They were ex-cel-lent there. Really good. I also eaten some preparations I didn't know about (little fish fried, fried mozzarella, etc.), as typical with the infinite number of italian foods spread around each corner of the country. The food was all good. Unfortunately I didn't have room for a slice of torta di ricotta (ricotta's cake, another typical roman dessert). I didn't also drink any wine.

The other clients were all of the very local, friendly and talkative type. The waiver, a girl, wasn't *particularly* friendly but even this is typical of Rome and didn't mean you aren't served correctly, professionally and on time. All along, a very roman-jew traditional place to it.

At the end I chatted for a while with the owner. I discovered he is the grandson of a real "nonna Betta" that founded the place many decades earlier, and that this is one of the few places in the ghetto still owned by a real Jew. The guy was very interesting and we chatted about the Kabala and astronomy.

Go there. Do not expect anything special but just try to enjoy the very roman-jew experience.

• Visited January 2013
San Francisco, California
“Just like the LES!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed this restaurant. Came here on a freezing night (it was all the locals at the tables around us and the waiters could talk about!) but still found a decent crowd. The food was very different from what I would think of as 'typical' roman food incorporating flavors that I would usually associate with other parts of the Mediterranean. We had artichoke many ways, all good, and a bacalao flavored with pistachios and saffron which was also great. We couldn't decide on dessert so they made us a delicious sampler plate. They also did a mixed antipasti plate that allowed us to sample a lot of dishes. I've never seen a restaurant that kept separate menus for meat and fish/dairy, even in NYC. Definitely a good find!

Longwood, Florida
“We would never go back to this restaurant.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to this restaurant because of the reviews on trip advisor. However, we were surprised with such poor and slow service. The fish soup was awful. However, the artichoke was not bad. I would not go here again.

This restaurant was also very expensive. For family of four cost €80 with no alcohol.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank willardct
USA
“Carciofi + Cervella”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice little trattoria in the Ghetto.
Excellent artichokes alla Guidia and Cervello (lamb brains)
One of Anthony Bourdain's picks.

Visited December 2012